Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DudeinFL

Just finished 5th Month of Accutane... 20 WEEKS... I am Done!!!!

Hi All,

I just started my second month of Accutane. I was on 40 mg per day for the first month and now I am up to 80 mg per day for the remainder of the course.

I’ve been around here for quite a few years now... I actually couldn’t find my old username so decided to make a new one.

Anyway, I am a 29 year old male and have struggled with this since I was 15. My acne has never been extreme but I do get a couple of cysts a month that last for a while. I ould classify it as a little worse than mild. I’ve used Tetracycline, Minocycline, Septra, Keflex, and most recently Solodyne. All work for a while but eventually are not as effective as they once were. Topicals included Erythromycin, Clindamycin, Tazorac, and Retin-A.

Instead of trying more antibiotics, my derm and I decided to give Accutane a try. I have been holding off for years but I will be 30 next year and would like to nip this thing in the butt…

Few questions for those of you on Accutane….

I have a tan complexion and always had oily skin. I am wondering what you say when someone notices your redness or drying? What excuses do you give to others? I work in an office so we work closely with others.

I wash my face day and night. I tried the Cetpahil face wash but didn’t like. I am using Purpose now but not sure if it right for me. What do you all use?

I also moisturize with Cetaphil Facial Moisturizer (SPF 15) morning and night. Is there anything that would work better?

Since I have been bumped from 40 mg to 80 mg, will I experience increased side effects? My derm said I shouldn’t since most side effects remain the same.

What can I do to help with redness? Not was as often?

Thanks all for your help and take care!

Edited by DudeinFL

I've found that the redness comes and goes. You might want to try the Aveeno SP15 redness reducing moisturizer.

As far as office mates, you have two options: be honest and tell them you're taking Accutane, it may be embarrassing but you won't have to worry about making up lies and I think people will understand and empathize. Or you can just say that you got a lot of sun from being out. This may work temporarily but you'll have to keep up the charade for awhile.

Good luck.

Thanks Paco... I'll have to try the Aveeno. Too bad we're guys and can't where makeup to cover this stuff up. ;)

No one has really asked yet about my face being dry or red. My wife says it's fine so maybe I am just being overly cautious. I was at fastfood place getting lunch the other day and the cashier asked me why I was so red. I just said "too much sun" but I am not as red as I was that day.

Is everyone open with their friends and peers about taking Accutane? Or, do you just avoid the topic?

I've told some friends and not others.

I've found that when I tell my friends, they have typically heard of Accutane, are supportive, and even had some friends who've taken it. Some have even taken it themselves or considered taking it! Think of it this way, if a friend told you he was taking a drug to prevent seizures, how would you respond? Probably with support and sympathy and say it's not a big deal, right?

I haven't told other friends because the context just wasn't right. When you're among a group of guy friends, the conversation doesn't lend itself to acne. It's easier to talk to girls about in this sense, because I bet all girls know about Accutane since they are more conscious of their skin and probably look into Accutane even if they get one tiny zit.

Thanks Paco!

I actually started growing a little beard so I wouldn't have to shave while on this stuff. I tried shaving the first week and it wasn't fun! ;)

On a good note, my toddler loves the beard... Now hopefully the redness and dryness will get under control. :)

By the way, has anyone noticed shedding eyebrows? I noticed it during my first month but I attributed that to my skin being so dry my first 10 days. I actually had skin peeling by my eyebrows. I thought it went down but I seem to lose 4 - 5 hairs a day. Is that normal?

Derm says I am only supposed to lose hair on top of my head. I started losing my hair on top a few years ago so not too worried about that. I shave it close anyway...

Anyone?

OK. So, just spoke with the Derm's office.

As I mentioned, I noticed some eyebrow hairs shedding when I first started Accutane at 40 mg/day in August. It seemed to subside a bit but I still lost hairs.

Since I was bumped up to 80 mg last Thursday, I have noticed increased eyebrow shedding.

When I say shedding, I mean I brush my hands across my brows in the shower and see about 3 - 5 hairs in my hand. Didn't see that before Accutane...

Anyway, the derm said to go back to 40 mg/day for a while.

Few questions....

I am supposed to be on this for 20 weeks total. Will this now be longer since I am only on 40 mg?

If I continue to shed, I am thinking about quitting. If I had to choose acne or eyebrows, I think I'd rather have eyebrows. ;)

Your thoughts?

Hi :)

I've just read through your log. Hmm well I know hairloss can be a common side effect on tane...I seem to lose a million hairs a day anyway in 'normal life' and still have very thick hair, so I haven't noticed any difference on that score (2 months into course) But with regards to other facial hair, I've been losing a lot more eyelashes than usual...which was a bit concerning! I noticed it more when first starting and when having my dosage upped, as well as other side effects being more prominent then too...dryness and so on...now 9 weeks in everything has settled down. My skin isn't that dry at all, lips easily managed, and not losing any more eyeleashes :)

I'd say hang in there and just see how it goes. Take your derms advice and go down to 40mg perhaps, at least that way you will get your full dosage, yes it will take more time but you should have less severe side effects on a lower dose. and also even if you do end up with thinner eyebrows, personally for Me I'd choose clear skin...eyebrows are easily patched in with a bit of pencil ..I know you're a guy haha but honestly no one could tell...and I bet they'd grow back normally once the tane was out of your system anyway.

Obviously the decision is yours and Accutane is a rocky road...I had a terrible IB myself which made me want to quit, but I think we just have to look at the end result and work out if putting up with the other crap now is worth that. For me it is! Im nearly 27 and 15yrs with awful skin, as a girl, is enough for me.

Thanks Chloe...

How long do you think I should stick with 40 mg before I make a decision?

I'm almost a week into my second month but the shedding is still happening and still breaking out...

Well from my own experiences, the WORST side effects were within two weeks of starting and two weeks or having the upped dosage. Were you on the 80mg for a bit and have gone back down to 40mg? If so I'd give it 2 weeks unless of course it is Very bad, in which case as you said it may be a choice of either eyebrows or clear skin.

However if it's more what you can feel and not what you can see...and it it's not noticable to other people (I think to OURSELVES, we notice every little thing, or even 'notice' things that arent there, so I think someone else noticing is often a good way to judge things like hair thinning :) ) then I'd give it a couple of weeks at 40mg.

How is your skin doing on the Tane by the way? :)

How is your skin doing on the Tane by the way? :)

I was only on 80 mg for about 3 days but I noticed the eyebrow shedding when I first started 40 mg during the first month. It seemed to subside but I still lost about 3 - 4 hairs per day that I could see.

Skin is still breaking out.. probably worse than before... I have a huge cyst on the side of my nose that just popped up yesterday. Hopefully, that will clear up soon. Everything is red, which is odd because I have a light tan complexion. I've been using the "too much sun" line for a few weeks now.

I switched back to Cetaphil cleanser so hope that helps a bit. Also trying the Aveeno Ultra Calming Redness moisturizer that Paco mentioned.

I'll probably give another week and see how it goes... Let's hope for the best! :rolleyes:

So... I am 5 weeks in so far.

Called the Derm's office this morning on my way into work as I had a huge cyst I wanted to get injected. It was so red and coupled with my pinkish accutane complexion, the right side of my face was looking like red as hell. Had it injected so hopefully, that goes down soon.

Also asked the Derm about the increased shedding again. He did say that he never saw anyone quit accutane due to eyebrow shedding and they looked fine. I said yeah but I am 5 weeks in and if I have to do this for 20 weeks, what will the look like then? For the time being, we will monitor it and see how it goes...

Anyway, I will try to post some pics soon as I know those help with the visual aspect! ;)

I am starting to lose my patience! :wall:

I had that cyst on the side of my nose injected just over 4 hours ago! Now, I feel another cyst bump coming up on my face (between nose and cheek)!

Why couldn't it have come earlier so I could have it injected also! :(

I really hope this doesn't turn into a big one! Please stay small and don't erupt! :pray:

I really hope this doesn't turn into a big one! Please stay small and don't erupt!

Doesn't look like it's gonna happen! It's getting painful, turning red, and slowly getting larger!!! :(

Are you kidding me... I was just at the derm today to get that other one injected!!!!

Should I pay another $40 copay or wait for it to go down on it's own? Anyone know how long it will take? One of our girl's bday party is next week....

Should I pay another $40 copay or wait for it to go down on it's own? Anyone know how long it will take? One of our girl's bday party is next week....

Anyone?

Dude, I wouldn't pay the copay. I'm in my 4th month and have found that things go down much more quickly. If the party isn't until next week, I'd try to wait it out. Then you can call during the week if it isn't going down. Good luck!

If you have the time and it's getting worse, I would just pay the 40 dollar co-pay to get it evaluated and possibly injected. But I agree with the previous poster that my cysts did not last as long with accutane. It's hard to get a good answer though since we can't actually see the cyst.

As for the eyebrow shedding, I've noticed a lot of eyebrow shedding and eyelash shedding but overall I can't tell a difference when I look at myself in the mirror. I wake up and there are either eyelashes or eyebrow hairs on my cheek and nose all the time. Fortunately, after 4 months there's been no difference in the appearance of my eyebrows or eyelashes.

Thanks MusicMama and JTS!

Well, another cyst popped up right next to the one I was complaining about. Now I have two small bumps but it is very red. Since it is Friday, I am going to wait it out over the weekend and see if it goes down.

If I need to, I'll call on Monday to see if they can be injected... Let's hope for the best! ;)

I'll try and post a few pics when I get home tonight...

OK... Here are some pics of the eyebrows over my course so far...

Six Days on Accutane...

========

Ten Days on Accutane...

========

Five Weeks on Accutane (yesterday)...

========

And here is a pic of those new cysts that popped up...

========

Your thoughts?

Edited by DudeinFL

well I just finished week 6 and got that same S**t going on with the cysts..on my chin. Its stressin me out but I have hope its going to end soon. Went from 20 mg to 40 mg week 5 so I guess this is because of that..

Hang in there .. gotta get better soon. Lets say hmmm week 12 its gone! ok?

Do you moisturize them well?

Yes. Twice a day. I actually see hairs in my hand when I moisturize most days. Why do you ask?

Do you see a difference or is it just me?