Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
curlyq

Anything for lips other than Aquaphor or Cortibalm???

I did a 4 month course of accutane 3.5 years ago. It worked amazingly well- cleared me up straight from the beginning and stopped all my overzealous oil. The only side effect that was difficult to manage was the severe drying of my lips. I originally tried Aquaphor but my lips could not tolerate it and ended up swollen, blood red, and more irritated. Dr. Dan's Cortibalm did little to nothing. My derm gave me samples of a Rx hydrocortisone ointment to last my course because my lips were visibly swollen and irritated.

I will be doing another course in a month and I'm wondering what people are using to combat the chapped lips? I'm sure that at some point I will need the Rx ointment again but I am just curious what people are using right now.

Edited by curlyq

I mix (2) drops of aveda essential oil in w/ my aquaphor. (2-3) times a day and my lips are never even dry.

I mix (2) drops of aveda essential oil in w/ my aquaphor. (2-3) times a day and my lips are never even dry.
Thanks janem. I think I might be allergic to something in Aquaphor- lanolin maybe? I'm not using it this time around. Aveda essential oil is something I will look into. I love natural oils though I only use them on my hair right now.

Kiehl’s #1 lip balm. :)
Thanks vmx85. I just checked this out on the Kiehls website. I will add it to my 'tane arsenal!

My derm told me that Carmex is good too, and it's much cheaper than some of this stuff!
Thanks Anew Me. I can't remember if I tried Carmex the first time around. I probably have some in one of my makeup cases- I will try it out.

Great suggestions! Funny I just found 3 completely unused tubes of Dr. Dan's Cortibalm in my old stash. I guess I will try it again this time around. I don't think it caused any problems (like the Aquaphor did) but I just remember nothing really helped except for the prescription stuff. My hope is that if I avoid Aquaphor maybe my lips won't react so poorly *fingers crossed* :pray:

Elizabeth arden 8 hour cream its used for dry cracked skin on body and lps but its more like the texture of aquaphor than cream.

Elizabeth arden 8 hour cream its used for dry cracked skin on body and lps but its more like the texture of aquaphor than cream.

thanks tts! i'm off to check out the arden website.

On a side note- I've realized that I am definitely allergic to lanolin/lanolin alcohol. I recently remembered that I had an allergic reaction on my lips last January. I was using DCT lip balm at the time. I threw it away because it only made the redness worse. I just looked up the ingredients and sure enough lanolin was listed.

I'm a bit late, but people on other threads have mentioned ChopSaver, which has anti-inflammatories like arnica.

Could it be that the shininess of the Aquaphor made your lips more susceptible to sun damage? It almost sounds silly, but I do remember reading that shiny lip balms can make lips more susceptible to burns.

I'm a little over a month into my first try of accutane, a pharmacist recommended I try Ceralip by La Roche-Posay, you have to ask for it if they even carry it, I like it, but the texture and the way it moisturizes feels different than any thing else I tried during these last few weeks, very silky I guess is a way you could put it. But it's 15 bucks for a 15ml tube, but it does seem to go a long way.

Odd thing is the place I get my Rxs at never even heard of Aquaphor.

I second the ChopSaver suggestion. It's light, non-greasy, and pleasant tasting, and it works works better than anything I've tried, including Dr. Dan's and Aquafor. You can get it on Amazon for around $6 with free shipping.

Thanks everyone!!!! I just started my 2nd course and I have chopsaver, ceralip, lucas papaw ointment, and good ol vaseline in my chapstick arsenal. Lol- yes my lips are really that serious. 6 days down...lots more to go! water water water!

I haven't used any of the previous recommendations on the list (the La Roche Posay sounds lovely), but I can tell you what my dermatologist has me using. It's called Donell Lip Saver, and it has the consistency of a Chap Stick. It contains SPF 15 and Mucopolysaccharide Cartilage Complex.