Notifications
Clear all

Do shallow indents improve with time on their own?

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 09/22/2009 8:52 pm

Do they ever show improvement with time if you just dont use anything to try and fix them? If so, is the progress years, months, or will they always look the same no matter what? Please, someone answer me if you know or if you see even remote "levelness" over time

MemberMember
(@366490)

Posted : 09/22/2009 10:56 pm

I had used retin-a for two years and it completely got rid of my indent acne scars.

MemberMember
(@xanaxx)

Posted : 09/23/2009 1:47 am

I used retin-a for a mad long time then stupidly didn't protect my skin from the sun for a period of time, so sun damage encouraged scars to appear on my face. i wonder if i protect myself from the sun 100% from now on the retin-a can still improve the condition i'm in.

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 09/23/2009 1:45 pm

I had used retin-a for two years and it completely got rid of my indent acne scars.

I think I just fell in love with you if your a guy lol. You gave me hope and made my day! Ive done alot of research and read reviews but no one has ever mentioned indents. I think Im pretty attractive but all of sudden my skin took a turn for the worse this past year and Ive been crying myself to sleep every night cause I think no man will ever look at me lol. Retin-a micro 0.04 %has been sitting on my counter for a month but Im too afraid to use it after my derm gave it to me.

How long did it take for you to see improvement in scarring? Did it cause more scarring at all? Like from the initial breakout, are you just left with more spots and scars from that? Sorry for all the questions its just that no one seems to ever answer my questions

I used retin-a for a mad long time then stupidly didn't protect my skin from the sun for a period of time, so sun damage encouraged scars to appear on my face. i wonder if i protect myself from the sun 100% from now on the retin-a can still improve the condition i'm in.

What exactly do you mean? Did indents form on your face or sun spots and sun damage? I plan on being extremly careful when and if I use it. Did it help your indents when you were using retin a and how long did it take to see improvement?

MemberMember
(@xanaxx)

Posted : 09/23/2009 3:29 pm

What exactly do you mean? Did indents form on your face or sun spots and sun damage? I plan on being extremly careful when and if I use it. Did it help your indents when you were using retin a and how long did it take to see improvement?

No, I just mean I was on retin-a for all of high school just for acne, I didn't have any scarring. I wore foundation with SPF every day so that protected my skin from sun damage. Towards the end of high school my skin was looking so good and I was so cocky with it, I forwent the makeup whenever I went on the beach or whatever, and since I didn't wear sunscreen usually I just was like...fuck it. Plus tanning had always helped hyperpigmentation on my back so I figured if I got a nice tan on my face it would look even better. Stupidest decision of my life. I guess sun damage came first, then after that came senior year which was stressful and broke me out, and since my skin was fucked up any subsequent pimples left a dent in my face. So NO MORE SUN EVER AGAIN and any collagen-rebuilding substance I can get my hands on.

So basically retin-a helped with acne all those years, but that plus sun exposure caused my eventual demise. I'm still on retin-a and hoping it will reverse what has happened, but nothing yet. I'm still recuperating from the random appearance of scars that I never expected in my life. If you use retin-a it can only help your scars, just wear like SPF bajillion every day.

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 09/24/2009 12:09 pm

No, I just mean I was on retin-a for all of high school just for acne, I didn't have any scarring. I wore foundation with SPF every day so that protected my skin from sun damage. Towards the end of high school my skin was looking so good and I was so cocky with it, I forwent the makeup whenever I went on the beach or whatever, and since I didn't wear sunscreen usually I just was like...fuck it. Plus tanning had always helped hyperpigmentation on my back so I figured if I got a nice tan on my face it would look even better. Stupidest decision of my life. I guess sun damage came first, then after that came senior year which was stressful and broke me out, and since my skin was fucked up any subsequent pimples left a dent in my face. So NO MORE SUN EVER AGAIN and any collagen-rebuilding substance I can get my hands on.

Im sure its not as bad as it seems. We always magnify our flaws. But sometimes I just wish I can turn back time to about a year and half ago when my skin was amazing and just take back all the skin care mistakes I made that led to my crappy situation now. How long have you been on retin a the second time? Its supposed to work great for sun damage so hang in there and your dents are probably really shallow like mine.

So basically retin-a helped with acne all those years, but that plus sun exposure caused my eventual demise. I'm still on retin-a and hoping it will reverse what has happened, but nothing yet. I'm still recuperating from the random appearance of scars that I never expected in my life. If you use retin-a it can only help your scars, just wear like SPF bajillion every day.

MemberMember
(@xanaxx)

Posted : 09/24/2009 5:47 pm

Yeah, my number one wish is to turn back time. Just one year ago would be fine. Half of my depression comes from what I look like, but the other half is raw regret. I know I can't blame anyone else but me, I hate myself for what I did to my skin. Especially because I was so close to achieving a nice complexion but I got greedy and took it too far. I hate myself so fucking much for that. In some lighting it looks okay and I almost feel a spark of what I used to feel like. But when I see myself in the wrong lighting it destroys me all over again.

ANYWAY. Even after I started noticing pores and stuff, I don't think I took the proper measures. Like this past summer I tried to forget about it rather than obsess. I wore SPF but I didn't avoid the sun like the plague, which I should have (I was still on retin-a the whole time). Only within the past month or so, since school started, have I been looking into ways to really heal. So I have a new slew of products to deal with. Sigh. My dents are pretty shallow, but bunched together they make me look wrinkly and gross. Plus every pore on my cheek area is kinda big. Of course if any solutions work for me I'd share it immediately. No option will ever be unexplored.

I'm just in disbelief that this is how I ended up. It was ignorant of me to think I was home free. God it's like winning the lotto but the opposite. Fuck life.

Gahhh I was just looking at the most recent pictures of me where my skin was almost perfect. It hurts like a bitchhhhhh to know I can never look like that again. fuck fuck fuck fuck

MemberMember
(@snooze)

Posted : 09/27/2009 2:54 am

Yeah, my number one wish is to turn back time. Just one year ago would be fine. Half of my depression comes from what I look like, but the other half is raw regret. I know I can't blame anyone else but me, I hate myself for what I did to my skin. Especially because I was so close to achieving a nice complexion but I got greedy and took it too far. I hate myself so fucking much for that. In some lighting it looks okay and I almost feel a spark of what I used to feel like. But when I see myself in the wrong lighting it destroys me all over again.

ANYWAY. Even after I started noticing pores and stuff, I don't think I took the proper measures. Like this past summer I tried to forget about it rather than obsess. I wore SPF but I didn't avoid the sun like the plague, which I should have (I was still on retin-a the whole time). Only within the past month or so, since school started, have I been looking into ways to really heal. So I have a new slew of products to deal with. Sigh. My dents are pretty shallow, but bunched together they make me look wrinkly and gross. Plus every pore on my cheek area is kinda big. Of course if any solutions work for me I'd share it immediately. No option will ever be unexplored.

I'm just in disbelief that this is how I ended up. It was ignorant of me to think I was home free. God it's like winning the lotto but the opposite. Fuck life.

Gahhh I was just looking at the most recent pictures of me where my skin was almost perfect. It hurts like a bitchhhhhh to know I can never look like that again. fuck fuck fuck fuck

i feel you big time...i can't even look at pics from times when my skin was fully level.

i also feel like killing the fucking salesman who convinced me to do fraxel when all i had was a minimal scar, which i would trade back for anytime, that he took advantage of and cashed in big time, leaving me in debt.

fucking fail.

luckily i have my xanax footballs....;P

MemberMember
(@snooze)

Posted : 09/27/2009 2:59 am

Do they ever show improvement with time if you just dont use anything to try and fix them? If so, is the progress years, months, or will they always look the same no matter what? Please, someone answer me if you know or if you see even remote "levelness" over time

and yes, i would say based on personal experience and constant mirror gazing, that shallow scars do tend to improve on their own.

GL!

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 09/27/2009 3:45 pm

i feel you big time...i can't even look at pics from times when my skin was fully level.

i also feel like killing the fucking salesman who convinced me to do fraxel when all i had was a minimal scar, which i would trade back for anytime, that he took advantage of and cashed in big time, leaving me in debt.

fucking fail.

luckily i have my xanax footballs....;P

Snooze, thanks for the good luck. I avoid looking at pics of myself-I used to feel so pretty and full of myself lol-I always felt like the prettiest chick in the room...sigh. But, actually, since posting this and today I have some hope since using vitamin e. My scars look less red and a bit more level. Mine from the start have looked more like scratches with a slight indent so Im hoping with time they will just go away. Im just going to use vitamin e for now and not even touch the retin a micro my derm gave me. Im just not a fan of harsh chemicals and will exhaust every option before I use things that may make me worse.

MemberMember
(@snooze)

Posted : 09/27/2009 9:25 pm

Snooze, thanks for the good luck. I avoid looking at pics of myself-I used to feel so pretty and full of myself lol-I always felt like the prettiest chick in the room...sigh. But, actually, since posting this and today I have some hope since using vitamin e. My scars look less red and a bit more level. Mine from the start have looked more like scratches with a slight indent so Im hoping with time they will just go away. Im just going to use vitamin e for now and not even touch the retin a micro my derm gave me. Im just not a fan of harsh chemicals and will exhaust every option before I use things that may make me worse.
MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 09/27/2009 10:05 pm

the shallow ones go away, just use a gentle exfoliant and be patient for a few weeks.

the deeper pits are a problem, and unfortunately that's what plagues me.

sometimes i literally can't leave my room and turn off my cell phone, because i get so depressed D': and i used to think of myself as a handsome dude.

That is good news. But mine have been there for a good 6 weeks now with maybe some improvement but maybe Im just seeing what i want to see. In your experience, have the pinprick sized ones from popping blackheads gone away? I dont know what overcame me that night..I just went in and popped a whole bunch before a shower, before my pores were open and Ive had experience with popping them for 10 years succesfully. I always look back and just say what the f.uck was wrong with me that night? Not just one but like five! WTF???!!!!!

MemberMember
(@melodie)

Posted : 10/03/2009 11:26 pm

Well some scars,I mean indented ones do go away!! I had indented scars on both sides of face,the right side of my face is smooth and th scars are gone!!! I still have a scar on my left cheek though its like right on my cheekbone area but its only noticable up close,you really cant see it at all in pictures!! Around the time when I had more scars I was using apple cider vinegar as a toner and aloe vera everyday. So I think thats what repaired my skin. I still use acv and aloe vera. I think the one scar still remains cause it was from years ago,it seems to go away a little as years pass but Im grateful my whole face isnt scarred like it was!! So yes some scars can go away if you take good care of your skin.

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 10/19/2009 4:35 pm

Well some scars,I mean indented ones do go away!! I had indented scars on both sides of face,the right side of my face is smooth and the scars are gone!!! I still have a scar on my left cheek though its like right on my cheekbone area but its only noticable up close,you really cant see it at all in pictures!! Around the time when I had more scars I was using apple cider vinegar as a toner and aloe vera everyday. So I think thats what repaired my skin. I still use acv and aloe vera. I think the one scar still remains cause it was from years ago,it seems to go away a little as years pass but Im grateful my whole face isnt scarred like it was!! So yes some scars can go away if you take good care of your skin.

Thanks Melodie! So ACV actually helped with shallow icepicks/boxcars? Since posting this, my scars have improved alot like 50% just by sparingly using Proactiv and vitamin e but the dents are still there. How long did it take to see improvement with ACV and did you dilute it? Are your scars completely gone or do they still catch light??

Ive been so upset and depressed and stressed over this that I have actually lost hair!!:( Its alot thinner than it ever has been:(

MemberMember
(@dr-molly)

Posted : 10/19/2009 7:33 pm

The answer is yes with a pinch of patience!

Shallow atrophic (indented scars) will greatly improve, if not dimish in time.

Deeper atrophic scars, although may not diminish will significantly improve in time.

Your new scars are still modifying up to 12 months after the initial lesion, so minor depressions in the skin can correct themselves within this period of time, and continue to do so in the natural skin renewal cycle in years to go.

A note on retin-A when used for acne scars: this topical serum has shown promise in improving acne scars and is perfectly save to do so without causing further harm-to avoid breakout-use on the individual scars themselves (scarred tissue has no hair folicle due to damage therefore no more spots can develop on this tissue) and use sparingly!

Acne scarring in time will heal- the skin is the bodies largest organ and is fantastic at regenerating itself..let it do its job.

I urge you not to consider any surgery on your scaring until 5 years after severe active acne and on mature ( 5 years plus scars)

MemberMember
(@testytest)

Posted : 10/19/2009 11:28 pm

Deeper atrophic scars, although may not diminish will significantly improve in time.

Your new scars are still modifying up to 12 months after the initial lesion, so minor depressions in the skin can correct themselves within this period of time, and continue to do so in the natural skin renewal cycle in years to go.

A note on retin-A when used for acne scars: this topical serum has shown promise in improving acne scars and is perfectly save to do so without causing further harm-to avoid breakout-use on the individual scars themselves (scarred tissue has no hair folicle due to damage therefore no more spots can develop on this tissue) and use sparingly!

Acne scarring in time will heal- the skin is the bodies largest organ and is fantastic at regenerating itself..let it do its job.

I urge you not to consider any surgery on your scaring until 5 years after severe active acne and on mature ( 5 years plus scars)

I'd like to know what are considered shallow indented scars... I've seen some scars that were shallow and indented and i've noticed no change...would someone show me what is shallow indented scars?

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 10/20/2009 9:31 pm

WOW, I honestly made this thread with the impression that I would only receive depressing answers but only made it just in case I was wrong-and I was! I have already seen improvement in just two months! So, even though there is actual lost skin tissue (minor, I might add), it could actually plump back up and look like normal again? I will not even use Retin-A right now because I have seen this improvement without it. So I dont consider surgery. I will hold off till the end of the year.

Also, could Apple Cider vinegar help shallow indents/plumping of the skin? Im considering it but it says that it breaks up scar tissue and I dont know if this is what I should be doing to see improvement?

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 10/20/2009 9:41 pm

I'd like to know what are considered shallow indented scars... I've seen some scars that were shallow and indented and i've noticed no change...would someone show me what is shallow indented scars?

For me, shallow means this: something that could be mistaken or looks like a scratch. Its also not so evident in most lighting situations but if you have alot of them then they will be evident, but that still doesnt mean they are not shallow you just have alot of shallow indents. If you have to search for them then their shallow.

Question: I cant actually see the actual scar on my skin, but I do see how my skin lost tissue in that area. Could I still have hope that my skin still will plump back up even though the acne spot healed?

MemberMember
(@thx)

Posted : 10/20/2009 11:02 pm

Retin-A works for shallow scars, it also plumps up the rest of the skin.

MemberMember
(@onceperfect)

Posted : 10/21/2009 2:23 pm

Commiserating with all who are kicking themselves.

If only i could turn back time and not have gone snorkling , that snorkle pushed down my huge cyst and made is twice as HUGE. If only i had got it injected with cortison. Worst of all, i knew what i should have done, i just didn't do it.

This thread has given me hope for retin A and my indented scar

Lisa, if you have retin A why not use it just on the scar? i just bought mine today and it cost me $220 dollars, i hear good things! I'm going to use it now while my scar is still healing maybe that gives it more of a chance ? its up to you though

a loss of hair and pimples might mean you have a high level of androgens, considered an androgen blocker?

MemberMember
(@lisa14)

Posted : 10/21/2009 10:23 pm

If only i could turn back time and not have gone snorkling , that snorkle pushed down my huge cyst and made is twice as HUGE. If only i had got it injected with cortison. Worst of all, i knew what i should have done, i just didn't do it.

Lisa, if you have retin A why not use it just on the scar? i just bought mine today and it cost me $220 dollars, i hear good things! I'm going to use it not while my scar is still healing maybe that gives it more of a chance ? its up to you though

a loss of hair and pimples might mean you have a high level of androgens, considered an androgen blocker?

I actually just got some blood work and urine tests done because the hair thinning alarmed me. I hope its nothing bad like my thyroid Im only 21:( But I have no sex drive anymore so it might be that. Anyways, Im off topic...

I dont spot treat cause its my whole cheek, tiny tiny dents but my whole right cheek has them. My family thinks Im crazy, but I see them. And yes, this thread is positive. Keep up the good vibes guys!

MemberMember
(@thx)

Posted : 10/21/2009 10:47 pm

Lisa, if you have retin A why not use it just on the scar? i just bought mine today and it cost me $220 dollars, i hear good things! I'm going to use it not while my scar is still healing maybe that gives it more of a chance ? its up to you though

I actually just got some blood work and urine tests done because the hair thinning alarmed me. I hope its nothing bad like my thyroid Im only 21:( But I have no sex drive anymore so it might be that. Anyways, Im off topic...

I dont spot treat cause its my whole cheek, tiny tiny dents but my whole right cheek has them. My family thinks Im crazy, but I see them. And yes, this thread is positive. Keep up the good vibes guys!

If you think you have a thyroid problem, go see your doctor and have your T3/T4/TSH levels checked. Hair loss by itself likely doesn't mean a thyroid problem, you would present with generalized metabolic changes; regardless, thyroid disorders are often chronic but entirely manageable with medication in case you were wondering.

MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 10/21/2009 10:54 pm

Most of my scars, both shallow and deep improve very slightly over time. I recommend you using either Retin-A, ACV or Dan's AHA.

MemberMember
(@jack3100)

Posted : 10/22/2009 10:23 am

doesnt it fill in some one year later from wound healing

MemberMember
(@onceperfect)

Posted : 10/22/2009 11:29 am

My right cheek too girl! it was the prefect cheek only 4 months ago, and now i have 5 new scars on it. But i know i will fix it, where there is a will there is a way.

Do you think you can post a photo of your cheek?

god forbid , but it could be Poly cystic ovaries PCOS. I'm thin and don't have excessive hair but i'm going to get tested for it just incase. I never considered my thyroid could also be a problem, i'm pretty sure i have some kind of weird hormone imbalance.

My doc gave me the blood work but i haven't had time to check it up yet.