Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster here at this site. First of all i want to thank the founders of this site and all of the people who come here to share tips and advice, i've found it very useful and i'm joining the community!

I didn't really have bad breakouts during highschool, just pretty mild acne, then when i turned 18 it got progressively worse until some of the acne that i was picking turned into ice pick scars on my cheeks. I went to my doctor and he said prescribed accutane for me (i had acne on chest and some on back too). I didn't do enough research on accutane, and after 4 months (40mg-40mg-80mg-80mg) i stopped taking it due to feeling no energy and because it was affecting my grades. After accutane i had TONS of red marks, and i think some scarring but i was content to let them fade when BAM i got chicken pox. GOD HAS A GOOD SENSE OF HUMOUR...

So it's been about 1 month post-chicken pox and i have a couple of rolling scars which i don't care about at all since everybody has scars, but it's added to my load of red marks. I'm just posting to ask you guys if my scars are really red marks or are they more serious scarring (most of the marks are smooth and not indented or jutting out, although my pores in the area are large and inflamed sometimes :think: )

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: If the pictures aren't clear enough i'll take some more in natural light later with a better camera

post-112884-1253428702_thumb.jpg

post-112884-1253428713_thumb.jpg

post-112884-1253428702_thumb.jpg

post-112884-1253428713_thumb.jpg

Edited by OrionNebula

dude thats just red marks from previous acne or i could be wrong thats what they look like to me. pih is when theres like a shine to a certain area from popping a cyst thats what i have on my nose and trying so extra hard to find a way to get them out i have pih on my nose evrything is clear but i have pih one nose from popping 2 cyst pimples si I walk with a shiny red nose so fukn ebarassing.give it some time personally i think there just marks cuz they dont look that bad i could be wrong im just trying to be helpfull and offer advise.what works for pih?peace and good luck.

Thanks for the responses! i really appreciate it, but i think the last 2 pictures couldn't show the full reality of my scars, so i hope these pictures are good enough for you guys to tell me what type of scarring i have and could you also please tell me how bad they are?? are they severe or moderate?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

post-112884-1253578943_thumb.jpg

post-112884-1253578948_thumb.jpg

post-112884-1253578952_thumb.jpg

post-112884-1253578956_thumb.jpg

post-112884-1253578943_thumb.jpg

post-112884-1253578948_thumb.jpg

post-112884-1253578952_thumb.jpg

post-112884-1253578956_thumb.jpg

yeah like that guy said he thinks its pih but I dont think so I think its just red marks from previous pimples.To get a better understanding how did u get them were they pimples befo cuz evrytime you get acne it leave redmarks behind you could look at mesageborads on how to get rid of them it also looks like a little hipigmentation i use lemon juice for that. I use to have skin like yours and i almost have it cleared up and to answer your question no it doest look that bad it depends on the ligthing and if ur outside you cant really see em i bet again im just offering my advise im here to help anyone and give my opinion since others have beeen so generous to helping me.

Edited by criket

Thanks again for the response criket! During accutane i had one hell of an IB, and i'm 100% sure the red marks you see are from the IB/accutane or from the recent chicken pox (although the chicken pox ones are already fading a lot after less than a month)

well i dont know anything about that ive never had chicken pox before but yeah just stick with what ever your doing you say there fading allready right.my skin use to look exactly like yours just give it time and be patient.

The ones from chicken pox are slowly fading, but the ones from accutane breakouts are still so dark in color... It's just frustrating being about 3 months post accutane and still having these red marks to deal with and not knowing how long they're there for... i sort of regret not toughing accutane out since i heard it helps with red marks, but i got some pretty crappy side effects and was feeling them badly.

Any more help would be great!

Hey, it's me from the other thread.

From my novice point of view, they really look like PIH, not scars. From my regular-person point of view, they don't look bad to me =] I know, like me, you've probably had people tell you that hundreds of times and, like me, deep down you feel like they're just saying that.

Chin up, be proud and hope for the best =]

Those look like red marks to me. They may seem to look awful now, but they'll fade over time.

Edited by Addie

Thanks again for the replies guys! Another question:

Does sun exposure alter acne red marks in any way? Does it make them stay longer? I've been getting some sun without sunscreen to try to get a little bit tanned since i'm pretty pale from accutane shedding and i'm wondering if it's not such a good idea if i want to get rid of these red marks ASAP

I've been told that exposure to the sun can darken scars, and then it takes longer for them to fade. Sunscreen is a definate, but even still, it never hurts to wear it anyway =]

I hope these fade soon... it's hard to even will myself to go out and do the things that need to be done with this blotchy complexion. I've accepted that it might take a year to improve and tried to accept the crappy way that i look now but it still takes some willpower to get out into the world. Do you guys think it'll fade after 1 year (with post accutane slow healing)

Mine were vastly from the start of the year, and they've gone down. Pretty well too, especially considering they were horrid, nodular/cystic beasts. Seriously, Pluto was given planet staus for less =p

It's so easy for me to give encouragement, but so hard to keep positive myself. Yet the more I tell everyone else it'll be ok, it helps me cope as well. I sometimes want to just hide away, but I went out to a bar with some friends the other night and was told I was pretty. I don't know if it was sincere, but you can never know for sure anyway.

Give yourself a year, but don't expect it will take that long either. Soon, you might just notice that you actually can hardly notice it, and will realise how far your skin has come. Also, remember to care for the person inside, because we are not our skin.

Take care =D

hey i know how you feel!

i have all these all over my cheeks as well,

and people look at me like im hideous.

when i put on makeup ppl say im cute,

what a load of bull superficial people.

but itll fade, but itll take VERY longto fade. lasting from a year to year-and a half. :(

sigh.

Well i have no idea how to apply makeup to cover them up, so i guess i'm going to have to tough it out this year...sigh.... i just wish this will all be over and i can move on with my life

Just following up for any1 who's in the same situation. I went to the derm yesterday and i was basically told NOT to believe any of the people saying topicals work for acne red marks because she said they were deep in the dermis and nothing but laser could penetrate to that deep in your skin. She said not to apply any topicals people reccomend and that it takes 9-12 months to fade. Guess all i can do is try to ignore it and wait it out since i don't want to risk further damage with laser treaments or give up that amount of money........:(:(

yo man im goin thru the same thing your going through right now. thanks man now i know its 8-12 months for me too.. so you arnt putting nothing at all on your facE? i always thought my face healed faster when i left it alone instead of constantly putting chemicals on it.

Thanks for the reply Anthony!

Yeah i found that all ACV + harsh exfoliating scrubs do is make my face look even more blotchy so i'm just exfoliating once or twice a week with biore pore cleansing scrub and using good old cetaphil. I found my acne GREATLY reduced once i stopped drinking so much milk*knock on wood frantically*. Now i only get tiny breakouts. Too bad the red marks are still there.... oh well just have to live with them for now :)