Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MarkP9114

accutane for first time derm visit?

Ok here's the deal, I am 18 and I've had severe cystic acne since I was 12. Acne has been RUINING my life. I do not do anything because my acne is so embarrassing. I hate talking to people because I see them staring at my acne while we talk. It's just completely embarrassing. My mom does not help my situation saying that my face looks horrible everyday. Today, my sister walked in and saw me and said "OMG, you're face is even worse today!" This is so embarrassing, i can't even imagine what other people think when they see me!

I've saved up about $1,000 and want to go to a dermatologist about it. I've read through all the complications but i still want accutane. Do you think my dermatologist will prescribe it to me? I've never been to a dermatologist in my life before because I do not have insurance to cover it, and my parents health insurance do not cover dermatologist visits, so I will have to be paying out of pocket. I know accutane is usually used as a last resort, but I am sick and tired of messing around with things that do not work. I've tried every medication out there available in stores and every "natural" thing you've heard of. Plus taking vitamins and nothing is working. I really don't want to get prescribed a topical cream, because as I've learned those do NOT working for me.

Do you think a dermatologist would prescribe me accutane on my first visit if I explain my situation? I'm going to call next week to make an appointment.

i've been on roaccutane, and finished it last december

i was given roaccutane on my first visit to my derm but i'm from the uk so we get it free here so i guess it will be different

make sure though your aware that in the first few months your acne actually goes worse, so be prepared for feeling much worse

i hope it all goes well for you :)

Okay first of all there is a chance that a derm can prescribe accutane on the first visit but it depends who. So you may want to talk around with people from your area and see. Make a few calls and what not.

Then Accutane is expensive and so are derm visits so your 1000 dollars will prob cover one month and you need 6. Because of blood work..derm visits,prescription and supplies like mosturizer, lib balm lotions ect.

I suggest getting an insurance apart from the one your parents have like i do. I have Aetna and in the application i stated that i have acne and wish to see a derm to take care of that. So ofcourse the insurance quote went up to 120 a month but atleast it covers everything with a $40 copay and medication could possibly be $30 each month. Soo 200 a month is way better than 1000.

The insurance process may take about a month but since you are a guy you dont have to wait an extra month because of the whole iplede program for girls. Or have to take pregnancy tests each month.

Well goodluck:)

Okay first of all there is a chance that a derm can prescribe accutane on the first visit but it depends who. So you may want to talk around with people from your area and see. Make a few calls and what not.

Then Accutane is expensive and so are derm visits so your 1000 dollars will prob cover one month and you need 6. Because of blood work..derm visits,prescription and supplies like mosturizer, lib balm lotions ect.

I suggest getting an insurance apart from the one your parents have like i do. I have Aetna and in the application i stated that i have acne and wish to see a derm to take care of that. So ofcourse the insurance quote went up to 120 a month but atleast it covers everything with a $40 copay and medication could possibly be $30 each month. Soo 200 a month is way better than 1000.

The insurance process may take about a month but since you are a guy you dont have to wait an extra month because of the whole iplede program for girls. Or have to take pregnancy tests each month.

Well goodluck:)

thanks for the information! I will definately be making a lot of calls next week

Would your parents be willing to help you out at all? For example, if you're in school, could you promise to get a certain GPA in return for financial help? Or if you are working, you could borrow money from them and come up with a payment plan. If you are currently working, it's possible you could get a medical loan from your bank.

I would REALLY REALLY recommend that you get medical insurance before you go on accutane or make a visit to a dermatologist. If an insurance company sees that you have visited a derm before you apply for insurance, your acne will be seen as a preexisting condition and you will pay much more for insurance than if you get insurance and see a derm afterward.

Accutane may cause a number of negative side effects. You may have joint pain, eye problems, hearing problems, or depression. If you experience these side effects and need medical attention, you will pay out of pocket for that medical attention whereas if you have medical insurance, the insurance will pay for any treatment you need due to side effects.

I think it's unlikely you will be prescribed accutane on your first derm appt. They will probably want to put you on topicals or oral antibiotics first. You can increase your odds of getting prescribed accutane by calling the derm's office ahead of time and finding out if they are even willing to prescribe it (many derms aren't, and are not even registered with the iPLEDGE program).

If you think it would be helpful, I would sit down with your parents and have a discussion with them about how acne is affecting you. Maybe your parents don't know how much they are hurting your feelings. If you bring up the subject of accutane, they might be willing to help you out. You'll never know unless you ask. I am really sorry your family is being unsupportive right now, I can't even imagine going through this experience without family to fall back on. I wish you the best of luck!

Would your parents be willing to help you out at all? For example, if you're in school, could you promise to get a certain GPA in return for financial help? Or if you are working, you could borrow money from them and come up with a payment plan. If you are currently working, it's possible you could get a medical loan from your bank.

I would REALLY REALLY recommend that you get medical insurance before you go on accutane or make a visit to a dermatologist. If an insurance company sees that you have visited a derm before you apply for insurance, your acne will be seen as a preexisting condition and you will pay much more for insurance than if you get insurance and see a derm afterward.

Accutane may cause a number of negative side effects. You may have joint pain, eye problems, hearing problems, or depression. If you experience these side effects and need medical attention, you will pay out of pocket for that medical attention whereas if you have medical insurance, the insurance will pay for any treatment you need due to side effects.

I think it's unlikely you will be prescribed accutane on your first derm appt. They will probably want to put you on topicals or oral antibiotics first. You can increase your odds of getting prescribed accutane by calling the derm's office ahead of time and finding out if they are even willing to prescribe it (many derms aren't, and are not even registered with the iPLEDGE program).

If you think it would be helpful, I would sit down with your parents and have a discussion with them about how acne is affecting you. Maybe your parents don't know how much they are hurting your feelings. If you bring up the subject of accutane, they might be willing to help you out. You'll never know unless you ask. I am really sorry your family is being unsupportive right now, I can't even imagine going through this experience without family to fall back on. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks for all the advice! I kind of had a talk with my mom. Actually last week we kind of got in a fight because I told her to stop making fun of my face because it's embarassing and making me feel horrible. I told her I would appreciate it if she just said NOTHING about my face when she sees me. Well she did as I asked, but that didn't really help because everytime she saw me, she was traveling my face with her eyes and I just KNEW what she was thinking. I was so angry and fed up, I called the dermatologist myself to see if they would accept my parent's insurance. They said yes, and I was super excited! I wanted to make sure with my insurance company though, so I called them and after an awful long talk with a couple transfers to diff departments, they confirmed they would cover it since acne is a medical condition and not cosmetic! AHHHHHHHH SO EXCITED! I told my mom about it, and she didn't seem as enthused as I was. Our family is really struggling with their jobs right now, my mom's business has been really bad and my dad's company just went bankrupt. I told her I would pay for it, and she kept making me feel bad saying that I won't go to college if I spend all my money on derm stuff. UGH oh well..I really really want to get this acne problem under control! It would make me feel SOOOO much better!

I scheduled my appointment for the earliest time they had which was in 2 weeks! Now, if any of you can help answer some questions that would be awesome!

Have topical creams worked for your acne?

What about antibiotics?

I honestly do not want to try more creams and whatnot because I don't want to waste my time and money. I really want accutane!

Hello all! Well first derm visit was today, and guess what? My dermatologist prescribed me accutane right away! I just told him I don't want to mess with topicals and would like to try accutane and he agreed. It took like 10 seconds. It was really weird...I didn't think it was going to be so easy to convince him? Who knows but I literally saw him for 2 minutes, and then he told me that his assistant will go over the ipledge stuff with me and I can ask her any questions. I asked about moisturizing and she told me the doctor would advise NOT to moisturize as it can clog the pores. Which I thought was weird since I've read on here that it's a must. Even the doctor told me that I could rub a bunch of grease on my face and accutane would still do its job..so idk about that.

I'm going to get my bloodwork done tomorrow morning and hopefully can get started this week!

Hello all! Well first derm visit was today, and guess what? My dermatologist prescribed me accutane right away! I just told him I don't want to mess with topicals and would like to try accutane and he agreed. It took like 10 seconds. It was really weird...I didn't think it was going to be so easy to convince him? Who knows but I literally saw him for 2 minutes, and then he told me that his assistant will go over the ipledge stuff with me and I can ask her any questions. I asked about moisturizing and she told me the doctor would advise NOT to moisturize as it can clog the pores. Which I thought was weird since I've read on here that it's a must. Even the doctor told me that I could rub a bunch of grease on my face and accutane would still do its job..so idk about that.

I'm going to get my bloodwork done tomorrow morning and hopefully can get started this week!

First and foremost, I'm so glad you got accutane like you wanted!

Second, be cautious. When you can see a derm right away and when he takes 2 minutes to look at you, those are warning signs that your derm may not be too invested in your progress.

I would absolutely recommend that you use a moisturizer. It will help make your face more comfortable, it will help your skin to heal when it breaks, and it can help fade red marks. Just choose one that is non-comodegenic.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

Congrats!! Im really happy for you! I just started mines 4 days ago and so far so good just some mild headaches thats about it. you should always mosturize though! Goodluck:)

thanks guys! :D

yeah, well I don't know my doctor didn't examine me at all. He came in and was like "So, you are here because of acne huh?" and I said "yes" and then he asked what i've tried..and I gave him a 3 page typed list of stuff that I made the night before. I also made a note at the bottom I wanted to try accutane. He basically just skimmed my 3 pages, and read my paragraph about me wanting to try accutane and he said that's perfectly fine. Explained to me briefly about the symptoms and he said that a lot of the severe symptoms like depression rarely occur and accutane hasn't been shown to cause it. It's just coincidental that random people are depressed while taking it. Then he just said somebody will come in and go over some things with me and i'm set. The whole visit was about 10-15 minutes...so I guess that is a bit scary since I do feel he wasn't being very precautious. He seemed to have the notion that the severe accutane symptoms people experience do not occur, and that dry skin is the only main one.

I have to get my initial bloodwork done tomorrow, and then a month after taking accutane I have to go do bloodwork again. As well as visit the derm every month so he can track my progress and decide to raise/lower the dosage. So I guess that part seems pretty normal?

I'm just really happy that I can try something that will work!

and oh and any suggestions for which generic brand works the best? I've been hearing several things. The assistant I asked wasn't very helpful. First she said it was all the same, then she said some are better than others..

Edited by MarkP9114