Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LisaDawn75

LisaDawn75's Accutane Log

Hey, fellow Accutane users! After much debate with myself, I've decided to post on here my own Accutane log as a way for me to track my progress on this medication that I hope is the answer to my prayers.

Just to introduce myself...I am a 33 year old single mother of two boys. I have suffered from moderate to severe cystic acne since I was around 10 or 11 years old. I can't remember exactly, but I know that I was much younger than my friends when I began to break out. My parents took me to many different dermatologists and they would put me on antibiotics, topicals, etc. and would do treatments in the office, none of which worked. It was mortifying to be in elementary school and have a face full of acne when no one else did. Needless to say, I was the brunt of many jokes and was called many names and if it were not for my group of friends who remain my friends to this day, I would have suffered from a deep depression.

Anyway, fast forward to early adulthood where I got married and then could no longer afford to go to the dermatologist. I tried OTC products, again without any success, but I kept thinking that surely I would outgrow this! Any day now! Ha! Oh, what a joke that idea was. I continued to suffer through it, but by then, I was more used to it and went on to nursing school where I was quiet and shy, as I had always been because I did not like to draw attention to myself, and ended up getting divorced (which was the best decision I ever made, lol!). I have since made a very successful career for myself, so I have not let my acne hold me back in every aspect of my life. But I still don't want to be the center of attention; I feel that when people look at me, the first thing they see is my skin.

Last year, I started getting cysts on my neck and the acne on my chest, back, and face was worsening so I decided that enough was enough and I made an appointment with a dermatologist. I lucked out and found a great one who listened to me and was willing to try different things. We tried all types of products, again using topicals and antibiotics and again, absolutely no results. So, when I went in about two months ago, I mentioned Accutane and he was more than willing to do it. He did switch me to his partner because he is only in the office two days per week, so she handles all of the Accutane patients, and again, she is great. I went through the first visit with all of the paperwork, which was a joke, then had to wait out the longest 30 days of my entire life! Finally, last Friday, I went in and received my prescription! I was so excited! I don't think I have ever been so excited to receive a prescription.

Then, iPledge had to step in and rain on my parade. Well, I guess I can't exactly blame it on iPledge...but just the idea of being monitored like a child is irritating. The lab did not fax my preganancy results to the doctor's office for them to input into iPledge, so I had to wait all weekend before I could call them on Monday to find out what the deal was. They called the lab, got the results, and were nice enough to call me back and let me know they had entered it into the system. Yay...finally! I could start this medication that will make my lips chapped and make my joints ache like crazy!

So I took my first pill Monday night! So far, I have not noticed any side effects. My face is still as oily as it was, although it did look a little less oily than normal this morning, but I'm wondering if that was just wishful thinking. I did have a huge whitehead on my chin this morning and another small one on my chin this morning, but again, it could have been coincidence. I have also been having some lower back pain today, but I don't want to be too quick to blame it all on Accutane. So I will see how things go over the next few weeks.

I am also going to take some pictures in the next day or so, but I'm leery of posting them...it's so hard to step out of your comfort zone. This website is so great; I really wish i had found it earlier and that the internet had been around when I was a teenager. It would have been so nice to have known that others were going through the same thing. It's such a comfort to read everyone's stories here and to see that there are other women on here around the same age as me! I AM NOT ALONE!!! :dance:

9/14/09 - Clavaris 40mg twice daily

Hey there,

We hear you loud and clear! here is to a beautifully clear future. Good for you for taking control and moving on. :) Best of luck to you.

Smiles

Hey guys and thanks for the welcome!

Well, I am on day 6 now of my Accutane journey and I can't really tell much difference. My skin has not changed, it is still as oily as ever. :wall: I know, I know, it's only 6 days in. Maybe I should not have read all of the posts from people who said their oil cleared up after only a couple of days! My skin has been really oily for years, so I'm figuring that the medication has quite a bit of work to do on my oil glands and it's going to take a bit longer than a few days.

The good news is that I have not had any worsening of my acne either, but of course, I know that can happen at any time.

I have noticed that my lips started feeling much dryer yesterday so that I kept them covered in Blistex and it was not the feeling of being chapped. Plus, the skin around my nose is really dry and flaking. This started yesterday as well, but my nose was itching like crazy Friday night and I'm wondering if I scratched so much that I completely irritated it. But it's so bad that I'm keeping Aquaphor on it. The only other thing I've noticed is that I'm having some random achiness in my lower back, hips and knees that was not there prior to beginning Accutane. It's uncomfortable, but at least with these effects, I do know that it is doing what it should be doing.

Hey guys and thanks for the welcome!

Well, I am on day 6 now of my Accutane journey and I can't really tell much difference. My skin has not changed, it is still as oily as ever. :wall: I know, I know, it's only 6 days in. Maybe I should not have read all of the posts from people who said their oil cleared up after only a couple of days! My skin has been really oily for years, so I'm figuring that the medication has quite a bit of work to do on my oil glands and it's going to take a bit longer than a few days.

The good news is that I have not had any worsening of my acne either, but of course, I know that can happen at any time.

I have noticed that my lips started feeling much dryer yesterday so that I kept them covered in Blistex and it was not the feeling of being chapped. Plus, the skin around my nose is really dry and flaking. This started yesterday as well, but my nose was itching like crazy Friday night and I'm wondering if I scratched so much that I completely irritated it. But it's so bad that I'm keeping Aquaphor on it. The only other thing I've noticed is that I'm having some random achiness in my lower back, hips and knees that was not there prior to beginning Accutane. It's uncomfortable, but at least with these effects, I do know that it is doing what it should be doing.

Hello : )

Well first of all, good luck on your course, we're not too far apart from eachother! I know Accutane will be such a great experience for you!

About the oily skin, I'm there with you. I know what it's like to have an oil slick for a face.. It's pretty much just as bad as having acne, if not worse (considering oil exacberates the issue!). I started noticing my oil decreasing dramatically when I was in day 10 or 11. It's so nice to have drier skin!

Well hope things go well with you, I'll be stopping by often to check up on you! : ) take care.

Hi, I wanted to wish you luck!

On the side effects, I believe mine started to kick in around Day 10, and by the end of 2 weeks I was not without my aquaphor for even a moment. I literally have to coat certain areas of my face with neosporin every single night, otherwise I will get flaky during the day. So trust me, the dry skin is on its way!

I look forward to reading about your success. :)

Hey lisadawn... don't worry the dry-ness is coming. I had the exact same start and I am only about 10 days ahead of you. my lips went through this weird not chapped, but dry weird feeling phase and now they are just hella chapped and peely. get the aquaphor ready. by day 6 i did have also the same around the nose peely-ness. switch your skincare to a dryand sensitive skin regimen soon. otherwise it sounds like you are going great. :)

Well, I noticed this morning as I was getting ready for work and putting my make-up on that my chin was oily, yet flaky. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. And the weird thing is, the flaky stuff around my nose is gone all of a sudden. I started back on my moisturizer tonight after I washed my face, especially around my chin.

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I just can't wait for this oil to subside, but I know it takes time. My hair is also starting to come out more than usual. That has freaked me out a little bit as well, but I also expected that. Reading posts on this board before I started was a huge help. It's much better than that insert that comes in the package! :lol:

And smileygirl, the dry weird feeling on your lips is exactly what I've been having. They are not chapped, they are just...dry and weird feeling. I ran off this morning and forgot my chapstick too. I left it by the bed, so I stopped at the Dollar Store and bought another tube, one for my purse and then I can keep the other by the bed! I about panicked this morning when I realized what I had done.

KimberlyAnn, it's nice to have others on here that are starting this at the same time. It will be nice to compare results and just overall moan and groan with!

Nikkia, I'm glad to know yours started around day 10. I know it's coming, I am just impatient! I am so tired of blotting! :wall:

Thanks again guys..I'm off for the Tylenol and Advil. My left hip and knee has been giving me fits today, but it will all be worth it!

Today is day 16 and the oil production has finally slowed. :dance: It hasn't completely stopped, but I have gone from having to blot around four times per day to only needing to blot maybe once. It is amazing not having my make-up sliding off by 10:00 a.m. I have not had an IB yet, or if I have, it hasn't been anything out of the ordinary. I have had several large cysts come up over my cheeks and chin in the past few days, but this has been something that has happened at times over the years, so I don't know if it's an IB or not. I'll just keep waiting and watching on that.

As far as side effects, my lips are still somewhat dry, but not too terrible. Chapstick is taking care of it. I've had a couple of days with some flakiness around my chin, but using moisturizer has taken care of it. The two main things I've noticed has been the aches and pains in my lower back and hips and my hair has been coming out much more than normal. I really notice it in the shower, but it's nothing I can't handle. My hair is still not so dry, however, that I can stop washing it every day. Breaking that habit is going to take a miracle! :lol:

Til next time!

Welcome to the boards LisaDawn =)

Your story really touched my heart. I could relate to a lot of what you were talking about, and I could just picture you there in elementary school dealing with all those jerks being cruel. Well, you will find a lot of kind understanding people around here! I am glad to hear you have taken control of your life and gotten a nice career and started accutane as well =)

I did a course of Accutane about 6 or 7 years ago. I remember after about a week or so, my skin felt really dry, like being out on a windy day for hours in the cold. I remember trying to minimize my smiling and facial expressions to keep the cracking and pain to a minimum.

My Acne went through a roller coaster ride during the 5 or so months I was taking Accutane. At first my skin cleared up rather quickly, like maybe 2 weeks in. It was so amazing, I remember thinking, "Wow this stuff works great!". Then after about a month, I got acne again. Then around month 3 I got some large cysts. It was very depressing, so my dermatologist suggested we increase the dosage to the maximum recommended of 80mgs, I believe it was. Then in month 4 my skin cleared up again, and stayed clear til the end of the course. Since then my skin has been pretty much clear unless I sweat a lot.

I experienced the dry lips, which eventually became chapped as the weeks went by. The dry lips went back to normal almost instantly when I stopped taking Accutane, so that was very nice :) However my skin remained very dry... almost too dry; had to use moisturizer constantly. I would wake up in the morning and my face would be so dry it would feel like it would crack if I didn't hurry and put moisturizer on ASAP. But now, about 6 years later my skin has gotten some of the oil back, and its pretty nicely balanced now. I have also permanently lost some of my hearing in my right ear, but that's totally worth it for me to have clear skin.

Anyway, what a rant, huh? Just wanted to say welcome, and let you know what you may expect. Also to let you know, there are tons of people on this site going through what you have gone through, so you have another group of understanding friends.

Just a quick update...Saturday the oil production finally stopped. Completely. :dance: I know I'm supposed to keep my hands off of my face, but I can't help but touch it off and on just to 1) make sure the oil has not come back and 2) to feel my skin oil-free at any time of the day. This has never happened a day in my life and I hope it continues. :cool:

And thanks for all of the encouraging replies. This website is the greatest support group I've ever seen!