Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And my pores are so big it looks like I have wrinkles. Dealing with acne is okay, acne goes away. This will stay on my face forever and can only get worse.

I can't believe it was one year ago...only ONE YEAR ago that i had near-perfect skin. i still wore foundation (old habit) but it was the best looking it had ever been since my pre-acne days. I was crazy, I was bold, I took on the world and felt like such a new and different person. I think of all the events that happened before this past year and I wonder why I didn't appreciate my skin more, why I didn't realize how lucky I was to just have mild acne. I equate those times with happiness.

When I started to notice my pores several months ago, it felt like the world stopped. Everything I had ever worked for went down the drain. I'm in college and I feel sick every day. I'm not sleeping well, I feel worthless. On the verge of tears every second. I used to have this breath of fresh air in me...I guess another word for it would be "hope". That's gone now, it's dead, I feel like a deflated balloon, not even the gorgeous autumn air that I used to love feels good. It is extremely difficult to go from being attractive to "she could be really pretty..if it were not for those craters in her face". I used to love the way I looked and wouldn't trade my appearance with anyone, but now, whenever I see an an average looking girl, as long as she has clear skin I wish to be her.

I'd laser it off. I'd sandpaper it off. I'd get Botox. Anything, ANYTHING to achieve even a remote resemblance of what I used to look like and feel like.

Anyway, on a more technical note, since I don't have much acne anymore, I'm focusing on things that will rebuild my collagen and whatnot. A lot of sunscreen, vitamin C, anti-aging oils. But it's so hard. So so hard to look in the mirror.

Edited by xanaxx
Guest Rocky666

You should try Biore products, I use the Biore Skin Preservation Moisturizer with SPF 15 I believe that's how much SPF it has in it, which is important because it will help combat wrinkles. But I used to have this forehead wrinkle because I think too much and it bothered the crap out of me and I'm only 19. I too used to have beautiful skin without make-up and loved it, but severely took advantage of it, but in the last 3 months I've been well on my way to getting that skin back it's working out great I love my skin now ::knock on wood: lol and you will too, the key is prevention, you have to start at a young age now a days with skincare because of the harsh sun rays, free radicals, and just daily stressors it's hard on young skin.

If you would like to refine your skin I'd suggest Microdermabrasion, check out American Laser Center, they do good work. Also a great moisturizer is in need especially if you want to keep soft, supple, young skin. Since I was 10 my mom had me on a daily regimen of using Oil of Olay and back then it smelt great, but it lost it's kick, but she uses it and she's less than a month from her 50th birthday and she doesn't look a day over 30. No neck wrinkles or chest wrinkles, so prevention and persistence is the key. Botox is a quick fix and isn't good for your skin. Start off natural and just keep at it.

Also your choice of make-up can do wonders.

Thanks for the advice, I am taking a preventative approach (to prevent it from getting worse), but I feel I cannot get rid of what I currently have. There's no fix if I already have large pores, because I already failed to prevent it. That's why I'm looking into such drastic measures. lol and forget SPF 15 I'm on that SPF 55 I'll be on it even after the sun sets

Edited by xanaxx
Guest Rocky666
none of that junk is gona work, dont waste your money :S

Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. Being hopeless and with acne isn't a good look.

I don't understand, am I the only one with this problem? I feel like I've destroyed any hope of ever having decent skin again.

Just try little things at first, you don't want to over dry your skin, keep it moisturized and with SPF and your skin will look a ton better.

And my pores are so big it looks like I have wrinkles. Dealing with acne is okay, acne goes away. This will stay on my face forever and can only get worse.

I can't believe it was one year ago...only ONE YEAR ago that i had near-perfect skin. i still wore foundation (old habit) but it was the best looking it had ever been since my pre-acne days. I was crazy, I was bold, I took on the world and felt like such a new and different person. I think of all the events that happened before this past year and I wonder why I didn't appreciate my skin more, why I didn't realize how lucky I was to just have mild acne. I equate those times with happiness.

When I started to notice my pores several months ago, it felt like the world stopped. Everything I had ever worked for went down the drain. I'm in college and I feel sick every day. I'm not sleeping well, I feel worthless. On the verge of tears every second. I used to have this breath of fresh air in me...I guess another word for it would be "hope". That's gone now, it's dead, I feel like a deflated balloon, not even the gorgeous autumn air that I used to love feels good. It is extremely difficult to go from being attractive to "she could be really pretty..if it were not for those craters in her face". I used to love the way I looked and wouldn't trade my appearance with anyone, but now, whenever I see an an average looking girl, as long as she has clear skin I wish to be her.

I'd laser it off. I'd sandpaper it off. I'd get Botox. Anything, ANYTHING to achieve even a remote resemblance of what I used to look like and feel like.

Anyway, on a more technical note, since I don't have much acne anymore, I'm focusing on things that will rebuild my collagen and whatnot. A lot of sunscreen, vitamin C, anti-aging oils. But it's so hard. So so hard to look in the mirror.

Did I write this?? lol. I too look at girls and just wish I could have their skin if its nice. Acne and scars is the worst non-life threatening superficial physical conditon to have. If your fat, stop flucking eating and get on a dang treadmill, if your bald wear a wig or get rogaine, if your hairy wax the crap off. But acne is just bad. There is no real one solution

I don't understand, am I the only one with this problem? I feel like I've destroyed any hope of ever having decent skin again.

No, you're certainly not the only one. My main problem these days is scarring left over from severe acne but almost all the skin on my face is also covered in enlarged/scarred pores, marks, blackheads and just generally looks horrible. It's great isn't it? Don't get me wrong, I'm more grateful than words can describe to have finally gotten rid of the acne but at least back then I thought I didn't have a permanent problem (though granted, after suffering for 10 years at times it felt pretty permanent to me!). Now, with my damaged skin I feel there's little hope of me ever becoming comfortable with my appearance. I'm off to uni this week too, so you can imagine how much more daunting the prospect is when I've my skin to worry about on top of all the usual anxiety.

I'm currently undergoing treatment for my scarring, but they'll never be completely gone and the best I can hope for is some small improvements. I'd feel a little better if they were isolated scars, but they're so widespread and interspersed with all the stretched and clogged pores and marks that I can't bear to even look at myself in natural daylight. I know how it feels, and it's absolutely terrible and heartbreaking.

As far as useful suggestions go (and away from the negativity I've just spewed out, sorry!), the above suggestion to carry on using sun protection and to always make sure to moisturise, as well as drinking plenty of water to hydrate your skin are very important. I don't know if you've ever considered or read into them perhaps over on the retinoid subforum here, but some people have reported success after using something like retin-a or another retinoid for textural problems. It can take a long while to see results though, maybe even a year upwards, and it can be one of those cases where it gets worse before it gets better as your skin adjusts, but perhaps it's worth considering?

No, you're certainly not the only one. My main problem these days is scarring left over from severe acne but almost all the skin on my face is also covered in enlarged/scarred pores, marks, blackheads and just generally looks horrible. It's great isn't it? Don't get me wrong, I'm more grateful than words can describe to have finally gotten rid of the acne but at least back then I thought I didn't have a permanent problem (though granted, after suffering for 10 years at times it felt pretty permanent to me!). Now, with my damaged skin I feel there's little hope of me ever becoming comfortable with my appearance. I'm off to uni this week too, so you can imagine how much more daunting the prospect is when I've my skin to worry about on top of all the usual anxiety.

I'm currently undergoing treatment for my scarring, but they'll never be completely gone and the best I can hope for is some small improvements. I'd feel a little better if they were isolated scars, but they're so widespread and interspersed with all the stretched and clogged pores and marks that I can't bear to even look at myself in natural daylight. I know how it feels, and it's absolutely terrible and heartbreaking.

As far as useful suggestions go (and away from the negativity I've just spewed out, sorry!), the above suggestion to carry on using sun protection and to always make sure to moisturise, as well as drinking plenty of water to hydrate your skin are very important. I don't know if you've ever considered or read into them perhaps over on the retinoid subforum here, but some people have reported success after using something like retin-a or another retinoid for textural problems. It can take a long while to see results though, maybe even a year upwards, and it can be one of those cases where it gets worse before it gets better as your skin adjusts, but perhaps it's worth considering?

I'm in the same boat as you coincidently enough, going to uni in little under a week and wondering if I can overcome my anxiety over my appearance in time lol. I too can emphasize with yourself and the OP, as I have made steady climbs for the last year or so in my acne battle (thanks to diet & lifestyle) but now have a more permeanant problem to deal with. You see I have physical (not just acne) scarring on my face that's really getting to me right now, not anything huge or anything (I'm not Frank Ribery just yet lol) but noticeable enough to me at least to make me feel uncomfortable. It's ironic that after acne comes an entirely different appearance based challenge to contend with :doh: Makes me wonder though, is this a symptom of heightened perception of our skin faults (thanks to acne), would we even feel this way if we haven't suffered from a skin condition in the past?

I'm in the same boat as you coincidently enough, going to uni in little under a week and wondering if I can overcome my anxiety over my appearance in time lol. I too can emphasize with yourself and the OP, as I have made steady climbs for the last year or so in my acne battle (thanks to diet & lifestyle) but now have a more permeanant problem to deal with. You see I have physical (not just acne) scarring on my face that's really getting to me right now, not anything huge or anything (I'm not Frank Ribery just yet lol) but noticeable enough to me at least to make me feel uncomfortable. It's ironic that after acne comes an entirely different appearance based challenge to contend with :doh: Makes me wonder though, is this a symptom of heightened perception of our skin faults (thanks to acne), would we even feel this way if we haven't suffered from a skin condition in the past?

It's interesting, I think being a victim of acne definately makes most people more aware of their appearance, even when the acne itself is no longer such an issue. In my case, unfortunately I know it's noticeable to other people but I'm still well aware that I'm the person criticising myself more harshly than anyone else ever would. I suppose although we realise that skin isn't the only part that makes up 'us', it's so much easier to focus only upon that when thinking about who we are as a person. Unlike other people, it's not so easy for us to see our good qualities and it's pretty much impossible to view ourselves objectively. I could really do with reminding myself that no matter what condition my skin is in, I can still be liked for who I am personality-wise. Of course, it's so much harder to make a good impression and to give off an air of confidence when you're crippled with self-consciousness about your skin :doh:

It sucks doesn't it that you finally think it's all over when you start to clear up, but then it doesn't really seem to be over at all. You just move on to the next problem. Anyway, good luck with uni! I'm off tomorrow and I'm about bricking it right now but trying not to think too much about it (not working very well as I stupidly left packing until the last minute, haha). I keep getting burst of confidence where I'll manage to convince myself that it'll be ok and reminding myself that if anyone's bothered by my skin, they're a piece of poo... but then the anxiety kicks in again and thoughts of trying to make it ninja-like to the bathroom every day without being seen creep back into my head. Hopefully it'll be ok... :pray:

Edited by sixfeetunder

duno if this will help you, but im 18 as well and i have quite bad acne on my neck back and shoulders, so if those areas of your body are clear consider yourself blessed that its clear and doesnt look disgusting like mine, i havent taken my shirt of outside or infront of another person since i was 12.

also there is this new zealand collagen product called 'Puraz Health's Product - 100% Collagen Capsules' that worked really well for my sis, shes 22 and had bad acne like me and once she started using this with a combination of other stuff her acne scars and potholes dissapeared. Duno if its sold any where except new zealand but if your willing to do botox at 18 maybe you should try this 1st before you look like someone that has pulled your skin on your face and stapled it to your scalp lol

It's interesting, I think being a victim of acne definately makes most people more aware of their appearance, even when the acne itself is no longer such an issue. In my case, unfortunately I know it's noticeable to other people but I'm still well aware that I'm the person criticising myself more harshly than anyone else ever would. I suppose although we realise that skin isn't the only part that makes up 'us', it's so much easier to focus only upon that when thinking about who we are as a person. Unlike other people, it's not so easy for us to see our good qualities and it's pretty much impossible to view ourselves objectively. I could really do with reminding myself that no matter what condition my skin is in, I can still be liked for who I am personality-wise. Of course, it's so much harder to make a good impression and to give off an air of confidence when you're crippled with self-consciousness about your skin :doh:

It sucks doesn't it that you finally think it's all over when you start to clear up, but then it doesn't really seem to be over at all. You just move on to the next problem. Anyway, good luck with uni! I'm off tomorrow and I'm about bricking it right now but trying not to think too much about it (not working very well as I stupidly left packing until the last minute, haha). I keep getting burst of confidence where I'll manage to convince myself that it'll be ok and reminding myself that if anyone's bothered by my skin, they're a piece of poo... but then the anxiety kicks in again and thoughts of trying to make it ninja-like to the bathroom every day without being seen creep back into my head. Hopefully it'll be ok... :pray:

Cheers; I'm trying to do the same as you and think positive and just hope for the best really, not much else to do I guess :)

Sometimes I want to see the pictures of these people who claim they have bad acne and it makes them feel horrible and blah blah blah.

I always imagine in my head the person having 3 or 4 red marks on their face. Although I could be wrong.

There should be a "Post your acne picture" topic so people can tell whose opinion is actually valid.

@OwlHowl

Who says anyone has to prove they have bad acne?

Its not a competition. Anyone can feel bad whether they have a few spots or rapacious cysts.

Personally, I wouldn't post pics of my acne on the net just to prove to some douche that I'm justified in complaining about it.

I know how it feels..I used to take my clear skin for granted until one day I was 12, puberty set in and I was touching my nose thinking why it felt oily..wondering if I was imagining things. Before I knew it, it was a downward slope and more and more oil seeped out and everything oil-related showed on my face, from ridiculously huge pores to blackheads, whiteheads and pimples. I never had acne, I just had huge huge amounts of blackheads and pimples. My pimples are pretty much under control, but the oil is still there and the scars and pores. Now I am desperately seeing for a product that can actually refine them, not just fill them in.

Sometimes I want to see the pictures of these people who claim they have bad acne and it makes them feel horrible and blah blah blah.

I always imagine in my head the person having 3 or 4 red marks on their face. Although I could be wrong.

There should be a "Post your acne picture" topic so people can tell whose opinion is actually valid.

Even if a person's situation was mild and not immediately visible to a third party, if you just read the description of their feelings you can see the extent that they are affected by it. Self image is important. If something is horrible enough to make someone cry every day in college and suck all the hope out of them, it's bad. They don't need someone else to say it's bad and if they are told it's not that bad, they aren't likely to believe them.