Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan

Took the chat down

:-*

Pat I really hope you're still taking me to McDonald's some day, it'll take a lot of double cheeseburgers and gallons of Coke to rid of this... pain. :(

Seriously, is there nothing we can do? It wasn't just social Dan, we did provide information to people about acne treatments and support through difficult times. Not to mention that I think this will make a lot of regular posters leave, and I imagine that a lot of these people helped others through their journey with acne on the boards. You will lose a significant number of valuable members.

I don't think you understand how much chat means to some of us... I'm just about to go and travel the world for two months and I'm meeting a bunch of people who have become some of my best friends through chat, not to mention the guy I've fallen in love with.

We didn't even get to say goodbye to eachother... I'm devestated...

If you didn't use the chat than you don't know what it was like for us, I know it sounds lame, but the regulars were there everyday and it was so comforting to go in there and be greeted happily every time and forget your worries of the day, or have awesome friends to chat to about it. You can't just switch our friendships off... its a really horrible thing to do.

Maaaannn :wall:

Edited by Figjam

People frequently suffer losses because of the wrongdoings of others, thats the way life works. The internet is no exception. While I have to agree that handing out chat suspensions and bans would've been a better solution I'm honestly not too sure how much impact it would have had (considering that the no sexual discussion rule did absolutely nothing), and Dan's decision is one I respect.

Edited by James Andy

Thinking positively it will give some people more free time to waste on other equally unproductive things.

Heh. Guess I have an excuse to do stupid shit like running in the road now.

Or doing homework.

-_-

:(

Contact info in lounge

i bought dan's regimen because of some of the people in chat

Chat was like walking into a bar were everyone knows your name you guys are going to be missed GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL......

Edited by littlewinded

No, don't take all the blame Fishbulb. You weren't the only mod who came to chat.

Regardless of everything, we deserved a warning. I don't want to put blame on ANYBODY. But (and I'm not just trying to cover my butt) I never took part in explicit conversations in chat-and neither did a lot of other people. I still feel like all of the mods should have done more, but I won't blame them.

And I still feel like this is unfair. Because we were given no warning or anything. Here are some of the alternative options (some of which have already been suggested):

-Install a bot which blocks out explicit language

-Automatic temporary banning for those who talk about explicit subjects

-Have mods give first a strict warning to anyone who talks about explicit things. Repeat offenders are temporarily banned-EVEN if they are friends with the offender! This might be hard for mods, but that is your duty as a moderator.

I don't really think that Dan should have to install an Adult room, because honestly, if you want to talk about that stuff, you can take it somewhere else. It's not a bad idea, but there are more effective ways of fixing this problem.

:neutral:

Oh, and Lyssa-I totally accept ^_^

Heh, remember the old days where I used to sleep with my computer next to me, fearing going out of chat because I'd miss something?

Or when Pat would sing on stickam and I'd wake up to everyone gone, then come into chat greeted before going to school?

When I came in to tell about how nervous I was about starting high school, how you told me I'd make new friends... and now it feels like that

I feel like I've lost my friends. I mean, in reality they're all still here, but it reminds me of what I didn't want to happen. I told you guys to never leave because I'd miss you too much, because something like this -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a7jkcMVp5Vg/SpiD...400/friends.jpg

would happen.

Ugh. :(

I really don't have a reason to be here anymore. Of course I'll still come by, there's just no... whatever.

:|

Edited by Ä¿yssa

wow.

the chat was a place that i knew to always be open to talk to friends on here..

now its like i have no reason to come back to this site

I just don't think people took the warnings posted seriously. I didn't.

well I guess a valuable lesson has been learned.

I think this is the key. Many people have been warned about the chat. We even put the message that the mods may be invisible and that the same rules apply to chat. Nonetheless, a lot of the implicit warnings that this day may come were totally ignored by many users.

I totally understand where Dan is coming from and I trust that he has spent a lot of time reviewing the logs and that this wasn't a quick decision. The Web site has been a great source for us all and I think we can survive without the chat. We still have all of the forums and through PMs, we can exchange alternative chats outside of acne.org where meet ups can occur.

Heh, remember the old days where I used to sleep with my computer next to me, fearing going out of chat because I'd miss something?

Or when Pat would sing on stickam and I'd wake up to everyone gone, then come into chat greeted before going to school?

When I came in to tell about how nervous I was about starting high school, how you told me I'd make new friends... and now it feels like that

I feel like I've lost my friends. I mean, in reality they're all still here, but it reminds me of what I didn't want to happen. I told you guys to never leave because I'd miss you too much, because something like this -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a7jkcMVp5Vg/SpiD...400/friends.jpg

would happen.

Ugh. :(

I really don't have a reason to be here anymore. Of course I'll still come by, there's just no... whatever.

:|

:comfort:

No, don't take all the blame Fishbulb. You weren't the only mod who came to chat.

Regardless of everything, we deserved a warning. I don't want to put blame on ANYBODY. But (and I'm not just trying to cover my butt) I never took part in explicit conversations in chat-and neither did a lot of other people. I still feel like all of the mods should have done more, but I won't blame them.

And I still feel like this is unfair. Because we were given no warning or anything. Here are some of the alternative options (some of which have already been suggested):

-Install a bot which blocks out explicit language

-Automatic temporary banning for those who talk about explicit subjects

-Have mods give first a strict warning to anyone who talks about explicit things. Repeat offenders are temporarily banned-EVEN if they are friends with the offender! This might be hard for mods, but that is your duty as a moderator.

I don't really think that Dan should have to install an Adult room, because honestly, if you want to talk about that stuff, you can take it somewhere else. It's not a bad idea, but there are more effective ways of fixing this problem.

:neutral:

Oh, and Lyssa-I totally accept ^_^

You may say you don't want to put blame on anybody, but you have and it's not appreciated. The mods on this site work very hard to keep things running as smoothly as possible. We do our best to be neutral, whether we love, like or dislike a member all because we truly love this Web site and its members (like you!). Our primary objective has always been to make sure the rules get enforced. We have banned many people from chat--hundreds of strict warnings were given. Unfortunately, the chat was very time consuming and we didn't have the 24 7 mod power in there, which is what was necessary--or so it seems.

^ I appreciate that post Ari :) I'm feeling a bit shitty about this.

I just don't think people took the warnings posted seriously. I didn't.

well I guess a valuable lesson has been learned.

I think this is the key. Many people have been warned about the chat. We even put the message that the mods may be invisible and that the same rules apply to chat. Nonetheless, a lot of the implicit warnings that this day may come were totally ignored by many users.

I totally understand where Dan is coming from and I trust that he has spent a lot of time reviewing the logs and that this wasn't a quick decision. The Web site has been a great source for us all and I think we can survive without the chat. We still have all of the forums and through PMs, we can exchange alternative chats outside of acne.org where meet ups can occur.

We were NEVER warned that chat could be removed all together, at least I wasn't and no one I've spoken to was. And also you say "I think we can survive without the chat" - you didn't use the chat like we did so that's difficult for you to say. Like I said before, I don't think anyone but the regulars really understand what chat was to us. Of course we'll survive, but ... this is still really horrible.

Edited by Figjam

^Exactly. It's been a part of my life ever since I stumbled upon it that one summer. :| /nostalgia

These are more than just "friends" to me by now. God.. they're like family.

Yes I agree with you figjam, us regulars are totally attached to chat. But i think we can handel it... even though i wont like it...

Lyssa, i need a hug... :(

as a .org comunity chat we need to stick up and make a change. Although Dan is awesome he is doing the right thing. We need to create a new .org chat somewhere. The .org comunity is very close to each other. WE NEED TO STICK UP!

God Bless Everyone,

yeegreen1, Jon