Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan

Took the chat down

Chat is no more??

I wasnt a regular chatter but I dropped in every so often and it was awesome!

I think its a shame that some of this stuff cant be worked through because I thought the Chat was an excellent part of the org.

But its Dan's site and Dan can do whatever he wants, but I dunno, the best banter and the best showing of community and friendship on the org was always chat. Its a real shame.

I guess I could cave and start stickamming. :X

someone must remember my password!

Just make a new account, silly goose. It'll take a minute of your time.

henry spent every waking minute in the chat. It was like his home. YOU GONNA PUT A POOR BOY ON THE STREETS BY TAKING AWAY HIS HOME!?!?!

jk

:)

never used chat once, but can't you just ban the people involved in sexually explicit content, and keep chat open?

Edited by rian1983

henry spent every waking minute in the chat. It was like his home. YOU GONNA PUT A POOR BOY ON THE STREETS BY TAKING AWAY HIS HOME!?!?!

jk

:)

So you can imagine what my life must be like now.

:dance:

never used chat once, but can't you just ban the people involved in sexually explicit content, and keep chat open?

EXACTLY?!

why let the ones causing the issues affect those who use it fine!

The worst part is I still have the impulse to click on the chat link or type it in. :(

Sorry, the page you requested was not found. :cry:

:|

Hey you guys. I just read through the 17 pages of feedback. Thanks for all of your passion on this subject. I thought I'd explain a bit more why this happened.

From time to time parents have emailed and called me with complaints about the overly adult and/or lude nature of Acne.org. It hits hard when I hear that. After all, people who get acne are often underage, and I want parents to feel safe sending their kids to Acne.org.

The forums, I must say, have come a long way. People are overall very respectful and realize that they need to keep the place safe for all ages. I really thank you all for that. A huge thanks goes out to the incredible mod team for helping make that happen as well.

However, the chat was a different animal. I received two calls from enraged parents due to the chat. I started looking into it and was pretty aghast at what I saw. I can't even tell you in this post what was in there but use your imagination, let it run wild, and then imagine it more twisted and gross...you get the idea. I felt an immediate "pit of my stomach" reaction to what I saw, and a clear empathy for parents. "I wouldn't want my kids here either!", I thought. It's really a different worldview when you have kids. When you're young and single it's like, "who cares!?", and that's really how I am since I don't have kids either. However, when I imagine having a kid, everything changes. I want to protect my kid and make sure they're only going to safe places. The thing is, we have to err on the side of parents in this case. We want to keep Acne.org safe for people of all ages, so we have to set the bar high with how we conduct ourselves. It's just how it is.

So, when I first saw the adult content in chat, I decided to institute a clear rule stating that there can be no sexual discussion. I also made it more obvious that moderators might be invisible, and that all chats were logged. I then spent hours upon hours combing through chat logs and lurking in the chat invisibly. Mostly it was fine, and I could see how it was a cool place for people to hang out. I realize clearly that part of why Acne.org is a cool place to be is that people with acne can feel social without having to directly have people look at them and what not. However, inevitably the chat seemed to veer in an adult direction. At times it got very gross again.

The straw that really broke the camels back was when moderators would ask people to please refrain from using sexual language, and were met with harassment. I will absolutely, in no way, allow harrassment of moderators on any level. They are absolutely incredible, volunteering their time to keep Acne.org running. They must be respected, and I back them up completely.

So, I took some time to think about it...what should I do? It came like a ton of bricks. "I have to close it." I rarely get decisions coming to me that clearly. Perhaps this time it came so clearly because I spent so much time in research on it. However, let me take you on my mental journey. "If I warn people that the chat will close if they keep using adult language, perhaps the chat would improve for a week or two," I thought, "however, new members keep joining, and the chat is ripe for abuse. We sometimes have moderators in there and sometimes do not." So, that option didn't seem to be a good one. "Aha!", I thought. "I've got it! We can have moderators always in the chat, and everyone's comment must be read and approved before it is posted." But then, we really don't have that kind of manpower, nor do I know if anyone wants to volunteer for long shifts of such tedious work. Plus we would need people moderating in there 24/7.

So I closed the chat. I actually think it kinda stinks too. I get where you guys are coming from. It's cool to have a chat. However, it's my job to weigh what is most important to Acne.org. When it comes down to it, keeping it a safe place for teens and pre-teens outweighs the need for a chat which can spiral into heavily sexual language.

I hope that helps you understand a bit more where I'm coming from on this issue. I hate being in this position, as I like trying to make everyone happy, but sometimes I have to end up making hard decisions like this. If you guys can come up with an absolutely fool-proof way of keeping the chat totally safe please share it with me.

An idea Dan, why don't you make the chat invisible unless a moderator is present to make sure everyone behaves. From my time in the chat there is nearly always a mod around during the daytime. And how about automatic suspension for harassing a mod. Anyway, thanks for letting us know your reasons behind the decision.

Thanks for the reply, Dan.

This place means more to me than ever, and chat made it even better. I really hope there is some sort of a fool-proof plan suggested, because I for sure won't be coming on much more without chat, and I can guarantee that for some other members as well.

I agree that punishments need to be more widespread i.e. given to those who abuse the mods. One verbal warning, then you are gone. And banned from the forums too if need be. If you are going to be immature and nasty enough to abuse ANYONE let alone someone who is here to keep the place in shape then we dont want you here. Sometimes people think that they can hide behind a computer and act the big shot because they cant be physically got to. Well lets take that away from them.

People arent going to take notice of several warnings from someone on a website that they dont know. So harsher action needs to be taken. I know this would be hard for you mods, its not nice to have to ban people. But if its needed then it has to be done.

I wouldn't say you should be that strict, just a lot more strict than before. A ban for 10 minutes won't help, so ban for a lot longer. If people keep going, ban from chat.

I agree that punishments need to be more widespread i.e. given to those who abuse the mods. One verbal warning, then you are gone. And banned from the forums too if need be. If you are going to be immature and nasty enough to abuse ANYONE let alone someone who is here to keep the place in shape then we dont want you here. Sometimes people think that they can hide behind a computer and act the big shot because they cant be physically got to. Well lets take that away from them.

People arent going to take notice of several warnings from someone on a website that they dont know. So harsher action needs to be taken. I know this would be hard for you mods, its not nice to have to ban people. But if its needed then it has to be done.

Exactly. I had seen many times where far too many "warnings" were given out without any action being taken. Or instances where they WERE banned for ten minutes, and came back just to do more stupid stuff.

Exactly. I had seen many times where far too many "warnings" were given out without any action being taken. Or instances where they WERE banned for ten minutes, and came back just to do more stupid stuff.

The way I see it is that lessons can be learnt from this. Mistakes have been made by users, and the mods havent been strict enough. Fine. Nobody is perfect. But lets learn from this and work out how things can be improved. And in this case the only solution I can see is to up the punishments.