Notifications
Clear all

Eating Foods with Vegetable Oils: Causes Acne?

MemberMember
(@ntns)

Posted : 09/13/2009 10:25 pm

In my case, it absolutely does.

Are you guys on the same boat?

I'm trying to refrain from foods with vegetable oils such as soybean, coconut, cottonseed, and the list goes on. And it appears that caffeine causes my acne as well.

I don't eat butter or mayonnaise because it contains such oils.

Even though I dont eat foods containing such oils, it still breakout. I'm guessing because of hormones?

But i do breakout less when I avoid those types of foods.

MemberMember
(@databased)

Posted : 09/13/2009 10:54 pm

You say:

a) vegetable oils causes your acne

b) you don't eat vegetable oils

c) you still get acne

d) therefore vegetable oils "absolutely" causes your acne

It's unlikely you could remove vegetable oils from your diet without

changing a great many things about your diet (unless you just used

to drink a glass of olive oil for breakfast and the only thing you changed

was to stop doing that).

And it appears that caffeine causes my acne as well.

I doubt it, but there are at least plausible biochemical ways caffeine could

influence your acne negatively, however indirectly (by depleting zinc and decreasing

the amount of melatonin you get each night).

MemberMember
(@moonunit)

Posted : 09/14/2009 12:00 am

You say:

a) vegetable oils causes your acne

b) you don't eat vegetable oils

c) you still get acne

d) therefore vegetable oils "absolutely" causes your acne

Hahahaha databased, your posts are always my favourite to read! Thanks for your refreshing logic and humour :)

And NTNS, that's great that you have been breaking out LESS due to avoiding those foods. There's another thread about vege oils up at the moment, and they discuss that it's avoiding polyunsaturated fats, and not just avoiding oils, that helps acne?? Perhaps that would help you??

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 09/14/2009 12:04 am

ive been experimenting with eating strictly coconut oil medium chain coconut saturated fats, and reducing all others with decent results. In addition to a no sugar diet as always.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/14/2009 12:16 pm

Well, oils that turn to trans fats and hydrogenated fats are inflammatory and can contribute to acne. But those oils in your list are not all culprits. Butter does not contain vegetable oil and is a source of saturated fat. And coconut oil is a saturated fat and known to help acne. Olive oil is also not a culprit as long as you don't cook with it at temperatures higher than it's smoking point.

The worst oils to avoid are those labeled vegetable oil and corn oil as well as margarine and crisco. And avoiding these means avoiding most commercial baked and fried foods.

There's another thread about vege oils up at the moment, and they discuss that it's avoiding polyunsaturated fats, and not just avoiding oils, that helps acne??

Well, you can't avoid all polyunsaturated fats. Some are essential, but you should pick the best sources. Omega 3 EFAs are polyunsaturated and most people don't get nearly enough.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 11/26/2014 9:37 pm

wow! still open?

Well I must say the oils could contribute, but you must get some food sensitivity testing done if you suspect its your diet.

you could be sensitive to ANYTHING! I found out i was sensitive to cellery. And soybean oil and tons of other things.

i dont even eat cellery and never would of guessed! point is, you need to dive deeper. cystic acne usually isnt a simple fix.

MemberMember
(@kashmoney123)

Posted : 05/05/2017 11:11 am

I have found, by an extremely long process of elimination, food journalling etc, that hydrogenated vegetable oils (namely canola, it was the only one I was using the past few years, I cut out all the others a long time ago) break me out, in deep cystic acne. Not limited to but especially concentrated around the mouth, chin, jawline area. Of course, everyone is different, but its worth continuing the trial and error with looking at patterns with reactions to foods.

MemberMember
(@mr-brownstone)

Posted : 05/05/2017 5:27 pm

6 hours ago, kashmoney123 said:

I have found, by an extremely long process of elimination, food journalling etc, that hydrogenated vegetable oils (namely canola, it was the only one I was using the past few years, I cut out all the others a long time ago) break me out, in deep cystic acne. Not limited to but especially concentrated around the mouth, chin, jawline area. Of course, everyone is different, but its worth continuing the trial and error with looking at patterns with reactions to foods.

I started to cook heavily with Canola (Rapeseed) oil a lot towards the end of last year which coincided with the worst cystic breakout around my lower lip/chin that I've ever experienced.

It looks nice in a bottle of my shelf, but I wont be using it ever again.

MemberMember
(@kashmoney123)

Posted : 05/08/2017 7:56 pm

On 5/5/2017 at 6:27 PM, Mr. Brownstone said:
I started to cook heavily with Canola (Rapeseed) oil a lot towards the end of last year which coincided with the worst cystic breakout around my lower lip/chin that I've ever experienced.

It looks nice in a bottle of my shelf, but I wont be using it ever again.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Brownstone! Glad to know I'm not the only one. It's just very peculiar because rapeseed came up as completely unreactive on my food allergy test, score of zero. Though that test is from 2013, maybe I need to re-do it for an update! I also will NEVER be using it again, in fact I'm afraid of it! What kind of oils are you using when you fry food? I don't fry often but basically all I use is lard, avocado oil, and coconut oil. Scared of olive oil because of all that stuff about it being laced with other cheaper oils :(:(.

MemberMember
(@mr-brownstone)

Posted : 05/08/2017 11:36 pm

I rarely fry foods but if I do I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

for baking I use coconut oil. I don't find problems with either.

you mentioned food allergy testing... is that something you do at home or through the doctor?