Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellaanne

Cleared up when out of the country

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience this, or has any insight on this.

I have always struggled with acne, but when I was in England for four months my skin was perfectly clear. It cleared up completely after being there for about 2 weeks, and was just as bad as before after I was back in the U.S. for 2 weeks. I brought all my products with me when I was there, so I can't imagine what the difference was. I can't think of any major dietary changes I made, I've wondered if it was something different about the water, but I don't know what that might be. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone have any ideas about what the difference could have been?

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience this, or has any insight on this.

I have always struggled with acne, but when I was in England for four months my skin was perfectly clear. It cleared up completely after being there for about 2 weeks, and was just as bad as before after I was back in the U.S. for 2 weeks. I brought all my products with me when I was there, so I can't imagine what the difference was. I can't think of any major dietary changes I made, I've wondered if it was something different about the water, but I don't know what that might be. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone have any ideas about what the difference could have been?

same thing happened to me. i went to thailand last summer and within days my skin cleared. i continued to use the same products, and you'd think my skin would have gotten worse because it was SOOO hot and my skin was constantly sweaty and oily but nope, my skin immediately improved. i have no idea why this is but i wish someone would find out!

when I was in England for four months my skin was perfectly clear.

Sometimes when people travel, it means they end up spending many more hours of each day in outdoor light than they normally would back home. Living in the light we evolved to spend every day of every year in can help make the digestive tract work the way it was intended. The results can be improved zinc absorption (zinc being implicated in acne in studies going decades back) and an improved melatonin surge at night (melatonin offering a variety of effects that could separate normal skin from acne skin, including slowing cell division, being anti-androgenic, stimulating cells to produce anti-oxidants, and so on).

Could it possibly be a change in diet?

I grew up overseas and within 2 days of moving to the US I had terrible stomach craps from the change in food. Growing up I didn't have any acne problems. Where I lived they don't put hardly any preservatives or salts in their food. I know that American food really did gave my digestive system trouble and it lasted for over a year.

Thanks for all the replies!

I wasn't outside anymore when I was in England than when I am in the U.S., because I was there studying, so I don't think that could be it.

I thought it might be diet, but the only two substantial changes I could come up with were:

(1) Milk- I drank less of it. I thought for sure this was it when I made this realization, so I stopped drinking milk. This did help some but it didn't get it to the point it was when I was in England. There is a chance this is because I've since developed a hormonal imbalance because I've gone on and off birth control pills, but I'm not really convinced that's it.

(2) Beef- I didn't eat a bit of it when I was there. But since I very, very rarely eat it on my own in the U.S. this isn't it.

(3) Tea- You'd think this might be it since there was a daily tea when I was there, but I drink tea as much or more in my daily life in the U.S.

I am pretty sure my acne is hormonally based, but I can't imagine what kind of impact going overseas could have had on hormones, so maybe it's more than one thing.

Thanks for all the replies!

I wasn't outside anymore when I was in England than when I am in the U.S., because I was there studying, so I don't think that could be it.

I thought it might be diet, but the only two substantial changes I could come up with were:

(1) Milk- I drank less of it. I thought for sure this was it when I made this realization, so I stopped drinking milk. This did help some but it didn't get it to the point it was when I was in England. There is a chance this is because I've since developed a hormonal imbalance because I've gone on and off birth control pills, but I'm not really convinced that's it.

(2) Beef- I didn't eat a bit of it when I was there. But since I very, very rarely eat it on my own in the U.S. this isn't it.

(3) Tea- You'd think this might be it since there was a daily tea when I was there, but I drink tea as much or more in my daily life in the U.S.

I am pretty sure my acne is hormonally based, but I can't imagine what kind of impact going overseas could have had on hormones, so maybe it's more than one thing.

Would I be correct that dairy cows in the US are fed hormones to increase yield? If so this may be the cause, because that is not allowed in the UK.

JMO but I think it's the hormones or whatever they use in the US to plump up animals and whatever it is they use to treat vegetables. These hormones/chemicals are being passed on to consumers. If you are living in the US and can afford to eat organic then you will probably see a big change in your skin condition.

I changed to just "organic" spending crap loads of money....

That didn't do anything but made me spend more on food..

I stopped buying "organic" after a year.

IMHO the answer is obvious, change in environment which can affect one internally as well as externally. The U.S. has been known to lab rat its consumers......................

Most of the time, my skin looks better when I'm travelling out of country,

especially if I'm traveling somewhere cold.

I think it's the water, and climate.

Also, since you went abroad a few months for school,

maybe you were just happy about the new experience.

I believe that being happy always helps my skin.

I am so glad you posted this! THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME, and I have not ever found one explanation for it.

When I was 19 I went to guatemala for 3 weeks. I had been using two products for a few months (neutrogena bar soap and apricot scrub) and continued using them there. My skin cleared up immediately and stayed clear for 1 week after I got back into the US. Before I went to guatemala I was having a particuarly bad breakout. I cannot understand this for the life of me, since this is the only time I have been truly clear i've been trying to figure this out. These are the reasons it DOESN'T make sense:

1) while in guatemala, I drank bad quality alcohol (i didn't really drink alcohol very much before)

2) ate dairy (i was vegan before/after this, but am not any more)

3)was probably exposed to more pollution since their emmisions standards are lower than ours and i was in a small city.%

4)i got really ill while i was there from food poisioning.

Now, I was exposed to more light and was up earlier, but I have been exposed to light on a regular basis since and it hasn't made my acne any better.

The only things that I can think of that perhaps had something to do with it are:

About 1 1/2 months before i went to guatemala, i went off the pill. i had a really bad breakout right before i left the US-perhaps my hormones reached some kind of optimal balance before going off into the deep end again, and this just happened to coincide with travel outside the country?

The elevation is quite higher than it is where I live.

The humidity was different than where I live--it was like a happy medium between super dry winter/very humid summer.

Can anyone help me solve this mystery? If I had the money I would seriously consider relocating just for my skin!!!!!

It could also be getting away from home and the buggies and stuff that live in your home--same thing happened to me, I was in my same city, just spending a few nights away from my home---away from my towels, pillows, all that-------now, i wash my towels all the time, I change my pillowcase every night, I try to keep things pretty clean for my skin's sake, but i kinda wonder if even then we aren't still re-infecting ourselves at our homes? I just saw a Dr Oz show where they showed a close up of a pillow, it was CRAWLING with mites---these things look like fat maggots, so gross----microscopic, of course----also, they were saying that our mattresses double in weight every 10 yrs due to mites and skin cells and all sorts of nasty crap-------they said the solution was to get these pillow protectors and mattress protectors, which i can't just run out and do right now, but, it did get me to thinking----in our AC vents, all over our homes, are 'buggies', and maybe some of them contribute to acne? And when we go to a new environment, we are away from al that? I dunno. I am not a germ freak at all, and I am not sure what to do about it really, but it is something to think about.

Edited by bear3303

Hi,

I'm living in Australia (left the US last year) and my skin is worse. My diet is far better here than in the US and they use far less preservatives here. I went home for a visit last May and my skin cleared up immediately and stayed clear the whole time I was there. I have hormonal acne....so for the life of me I can't figure why I'm breaking out in Australia!

Every time I go to Caribbean. Magically all my cyst acne, black heads, white heads. Gone within 2 days... Organic Food, Salt Water, Sun... Ahhh :( I wanna goooo back now.