Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wishfulthinkin

sugar and acne?

Hi,

I'm just wondering...there are a lot of people on the internet that claim sugar leads to acne. So I have decided to cut sugars out of my diet as much as possible as well as dairy etc. and see what happens. Has anyone successfully cleared their acne by cutting out sugar? If so, how long until you saw real results?

Hi,

I'm just wondering...there are a lot of people on the internet that claim sugar leads to acne. So I have decided to cut sugars out of my diet as much as possible as well as dairy etc. and see what happens. Has anyone successfully cleared their acne by cutting out sugar? If so, how long until you saw real results?

I dint hear something like this in my entire career! I dont think sugar cause acne.

Hi,

I dint hear something like this in my entire career! I dont think sugar cause acne.

If you google sugar and acne you will see lots of results :)

Hi,

:) yes i know but my entire career, i never had cases like this..and i dont believe sugar is responsible for acne breakouts. Spicy and dairy food is responsible for acne.

Hi,

:) yes i know but my entire career, i never had cases like this..and i dont believe sugar is responsible for acne breakouts. Spicy and dairy food is responsible for acne.

Sugar is a major contributor to acne as it affects your blood sugar levels. If your blood sugar levels get out of balance then it directly be the cause of your acne. Read this article:

http://www.natural-acne-solution.com/blood-sugar-acne.html

Sugar makes me break out REALLY bad!! Anything that has a drastic affect on my blood sugar causes inflammation and makes my face really bad (usually by the next day).

So, technically, it's not the sugar that causes acne, but the effects on blood sugar and the corresponding inflammation.

Sugar makes me break out REALLY bad!! Anything that has a drastic affect on my blood sugar causes inflammation and makes my face really bad (usually by the next day).

So, technically, it's not the sugar that causes acne, but the effects on blood sugar and the corresponding inflammation.

So sugar is definitely a contributing factor then? It's avoidance should help.

It's not the sugar exactly, it's the insulin response. Your body is meant to have only minor fluctuations in blood sugar so when you have candy, sodas, juices, and high GI meals your body releases large amounts of insulin to get the blood sugar back down quickly. Insulin is a master hormone that stimulates other hormones, including the androgens and other hormones that cause acne. It also causes inflammation which is another factor in acne.

So you don't necessarily need to avoid sugar. You need to have diet and drinking habits that do not spike blood sugar. Binge eating on anything can cause that as well. Even if it's meat.

Also, if you keep up bad eating habits, eventually you may develop insulin resistance which means the cells don't take in insulin and so you end up with excess insulin circulating and stimulating hormones and inflammation.

However, some people may have impaired carb metabolism and even intolerance. Diet and lifestyle habits like proper circadian cycle affect that as well.

Noted JayQ..Thanks for sharing. Everyday we learn new things. :)
Edited by alternativista

Avoiding sugar has done wonders for me, but do it PROPERLY. Sugar is TERRIBLE

Sugar is terrible! But it doesn't cause acne, otherwise every person you know who has a "bad" diet and eats processed food, bread, sweets, sauces, biscuits, pies, cakes, doughnuts, cereal etc would have acne, and they don't. But it definitely can be a contributing factor, if your body can't deal with it. When i went to zero sugar, i felt really ill - headaches, fatigue, feeling depressed, all the symptoms you'd get from a drug withdrawal, then you get the cravings - definitely a dangerous drug. But the world has to make enough food go round so many people, so they make rubbish processed food for the masses, pump it full of salt, sugar & umami to mask the taste of how poor the food is and off you go (obviously the elite don't eat this bad food, or atleast not all the time!). If everyone stopped eating processed food, there simply would not be enough food to go round!

And even then not all sugars are obvious or created equal. I have trouble with milk, but only because milk contains lactose (i can eat cheese, low sugar greek plain yoghurt, some small portions of cottage cheese) which is actually made of glactose & glucose. I also have trouble with fructose (yes, thats fruit sugar!) as i have to limit my fruit intake and avoid things with HFCS in (which is almost everything made anywhere ever). If you have a problem handling sugar, don't listen to anyone that tells you fruit sugar is ok because it's "fruit", fruit is only healthy because it contains vitamins and fibre - hence the reason why fruit juice will disintegrate teeth because of the acidity and sugar content! Athletes often eat lots of fruit to get some quick energy, while most people overeat and have plenty of stored energy (fat), they burn that energy off, causing them little problem (I haven't seen many acne faced top athletes).

It's easy to tell if you have problems with sugar. Take a look at your diet. Swap out processed foods and snacks for things without sugar or with low sugar. And avoid things that says "low fat" because most things have sugar added to replace the fat. If reducing your sugar intake improves your acne over a few months (a couple of weeks isnt long enough) then you have an answer, that your body is struggling to deal with the sugar. There could easily be other causes, and other solutions. I'd recommended getting plenty of water, make sure your getting a good range of vitamins, some veg, some meat and not too much starchy carbs. And some exercise wouldnt hurt overall health. And if you do have sugar related problems, i recommended trying taurine, just be careful as with all supplementing you can have side effects, but it has helped me no end (especially when eating out, or celebrating someones birthday with lots of sugary alcohol!)

LivesInABox.

Thanks, yeah I am avoiding sugar, ate literally like.. A finger scoop (picked some up with one finger, not a giant amount AT ALL) of cheesecake, and 3 home made biscuits, I am paying for that now :/

I don't eat that crap which a lot of people eat. I think there are like Tootsies or Tart Pops and all them rubbish, never.

I am a vegetarian so am pretty in tune with my diet. I eat Nuts and Raisins a lot, because they are high calorie, (1/3 of daily intake) high protein (over 100% daily intake) and unfortunately have 12.0 Grams of sugar. I do not seem to react badly to these though, they seem to have absolutely no effect on my skin, which makes me super happy cos I love peanut butter too! (Eat 1 or 2 jars of the stuff a week xD)

A family member is a beauty therapist, and she is getting an Enzyme Peel and a Oxy Rx treatment from the people who formulate for all the big brands. (Although their stuff they sell is not "Clean & Clear" it is, THEIRS, and much more expensive and better quality, pH balanced and all that stuff) The enzyme peels eat at the dead skin, nothing else. The Oxy Rx, that is some sort of oxygen treatment, the oxygen gets into your skin, AND flammation is REDUCED :s Odd, and after 1 treatment skin can look less red. These are top of the line, several hundred dollar products, I'll be using em tomorrow =)

I cut sugery drinks and have started drinking water instead. I've also cut caffiene, since I read it does the same thing. My skin isn't nearly as dry either, since caffiene is a dieretic.

I read a study not too long back that said artificial sweeteners do the same thing as sugar. Your brain reads it as sweet and tells your pancrius to make insulin, just like if you eat suger, so people that drink diet sodas aren't doing themselves any good.

Has anyone experienced chapped lips after switching to a no sugar/low carb diet? I've noticed my lips are always quite dry and chapped now. I've also noticed a decreased level of skin oiliness.

This is in NO way a complaint. Just curious.

Has anyone experienced chapped lips after switching to a no sugar/low carb diet? I've noticed my lips are always quite dry and chapped now. I've also noticed a decreased level of skin oiliness.

Spikes and dips in blood sugar can cause hormone fluctuations. Your hormones may be stabilizing causing a decrease in oiliness.

Try introducing good fats in your diet like EVOO to help with your chapped lips.

For some people, sugar may be a contributor, for other people it may not. For me, whenever I have sugar, like candy bars or even some fruits, my face gets really hot and kind of hurts, like it gets sensitive. So I know my body reacts negatively to sugar, and I avoid it. If you cut out sugar and see no difference within six weeks (besides increased overall health and energy levels of course :) ) then it's probably not a contributor for you. Everyone's body is different and it's just a matter of discovering what causes acne for you. However, you may consider cutting back just for general health reasons. Good luck!

This happens when is someone is on Accutane..

god! i hardly intake sugar stuffs. what will happen to my glucose level then??!! :surprised: i am hearin this for the first time my friend!

Edited by Priya s

Holy crud. That's all I got to say to that list. I stopped consuming sugar about 3 months ago. Occasionally I'll have a few cookies or something. But I can tell you, my body definitely feels better when I stay away from food with a ton of sugar. Not only that, but my face doesn't get nearly as much acne as it used to.

Holy crud. That's all I got to say to that list. I stopped consuming sugar about 3 months ago. Occasionally I'll have a few cookies or something. But I can tell you, my body definitely feels better when I stay away from food with a ton of sugar. Not only that, but my face doesn't get nearly as much acne as it used to.

This sugar thing confuses me when it comes to buying and getting food. Is it only bad if sugar is listed in the ingredients? For instance, my gluten free bread i buy says 2g of sugar for each slice, yet no sugar is listed in ingredients, same with my salad bags.

Then you have raisins that all is listed in ingredients is dried grapes and no sugar listed and it says 29g of sugar for each serving.

It is easy to find things not having sugar listed in ingredients, but hard to find foods that says it does not contain sugar in the nutritional facts at all.