Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Princesstx

Acne getting worse :'(

Hi I am new here. I just wondered if there is anyone that can advise me on my acne. I wanted to post a picture of myself but it told me that it was too big. :doh:

I am 27 and have very bad acne. It started after I had my 4th baby and stop breastfeeding. I have tried everything. I bought proactive 2 times and it just didnt work. It made my skin soft and glow even but the pimples were there glowing too. :lol:

I have a back injury so I really dont do much but hang around the house. So I dont wear makeup or do my hair no more. The other day I had a meeting with my kid's princepal and went to get fixed up. :cry: I cried to see my face up close. My skin is starting to look like the guy from that movie American Me.

Not all over just on the edges of my face so I can cover it up with my hair. Everytime I see my mom she makes comments about my face. My 5 year old daughter tells me "Your so beautiful mommy but those bumps on ur face make u look ugly." :(

I have bought everything over the counter and 1 prescription thing. Dont remember whats its called. Nothing helps. I was going to buy Acnetix and thats how I found this website. Right now I am trying Burtsbees Acne spot treatment. I just started so dont have much to say about it except its a pain to but on. Have no clue how to use it and others on the website said the same thing. :wall:

I was talking birth control pills and that helped but after reading all the ppl getting blood clots from using Yaz! and having to be on blood thinners I was like ah NO thxs! :hand:

Can anyone offer some advise. I will say that I dont use foundation ever! Only makeup I use it eyeliner and mascara. Sometimes lipstick. I drink ALOT of Dr.Pepper but have done this since I was 15. I am not one to be washing my face a hundred times a day and dont want to use something like proactive that has all these bottles. Dont have time for that :wacko:

I know what I have is inside my body. Is there something that I can take? Thxs

Heyeee mommy! I got acne with my second child during the pregnancy..so I believe mine is due to some hormone imbalance..that could be your prob too? ProActive didn't work for me either..it actually made my skin worse..I don't think any products will work if it's hormonal acne, can't hurt to try I guess. Feels like a never ending battle. Newayz the only thing that did work for me was Yasmin birth control pills. I heard that progesterone can help against acne. After 6 mos my skin was waay better..and after a year my skin was pretty much clear..still had scars though..went off it..and now I'm breaking out worse than ever..so I'm back on it..hoping it'll still work. Pro's are you don't have to worry about getting pregnant either hahah! btw I love that American Me guy!! ;)

Edited by kleen

First of all, let me just say I know exactly how you feel!

I am 26 and have struggled with this lovely acne problem since I stopped breastfeeding my son.

At first I thought it would settle down, but it just kept getting worse and worse.

My doctor first told me that it was hormonal and that it would go away on its own, but at my last appointment he gave me an Rx for some antibiotics. I never filled the prescription. We are trying to conceive another baby and this being a Category C drug I just don't feel right about it. Not to mention the fact that I don't think it will fix the issue.

I did some research on hormonal acne on the internet and came across evening primrose oil. I started taking this a few weeks ago and there was a remarkable improvement in my skin. I attributed it to the GLA in EPO and got greedy. Since there's more GLA in borage oil I switched to that but my skin became worse. I started taking the EPO again a few days ago and my acne is fading away again. I have four active pimples right now, the rest is drying up and fading.

I don't know what your acne is like but mine consisted of whiteheads and cysts on my cheeks and jawline primarily.

Do some research on this. It's helping me so much-I hope it will help you as well!

Im tellin ya...please try this.

Go to the store/internet/mommas house and get some 500mg non-flush niacin.

I'm all clear now after years of acne...just take it once each day!

I eat what i want, drink what i want, smoke what i want...i promise this is the cure.

I also use Benzoyl peroxide and alpha hydroxyl lotion, but since yours is hormonal i doubt these would work.

Give it a try...and remember most of these people here have had acne just as bad or worse than yours so we've been through it all.

First of all, let me just say I know exactly how you feel!

I am 26 and have struggled with this lovely acne problem since I stopped breastfeeding my son.

At first I thought it would settle down, but it just kept getting worse and worse.

My doctor first told me that it was hormonal and that it would go away on its own, but at my last appointment he gave me an Rx for some antibiotics. I never filled the prescription. We are trying to conceive another baby and this being a Category C drug I just don't feel right about it. Not to mention the fact that I don't think it will fix the issue.

I did some research on hormonal acne on the internet and came across evening primrose oil. I started taking this a few weeks ago and there was a remarkable improvement in my skin. I attributed it to the GLA in EPO and got greedy. Since there's more GLA in borage oil I switched to that but my skin became worse. I started taking the EPO again a few days ago and my acne is fading away again. I have four active pimples right now, the rest is drying up and fading.

I don't know what your acne is like but mine consisted of whiteheads and cysts on my cheeks and jawline primarily.

Do some research on this. It's helping me so much-I hope it will help you as well!

How much EPO do you use? And how often?

I have a back injury so I really dont do much but hang around the house.

That likely affects your relationship to light and sleep.

I drink ALOT of Dr.Pepper but have done this since I was 15.

It's possible that other things you do affect whether and how your diet affects your acne.

I know what I have is inside my body.

Probably so. The P. Acnes bacteria on the skin has been implicated in the inflammation of acne, but nobody has really even proven the exact mechanism for that (despite the fact that the little buggers are right on top of the skin!).

A random nut on the Internet says:

Acne is produced by living in dim light and sleeping in light pollution. When you live in dim indoor light, your intestines don't get the signal that it's daytime, so they do a half-ass job of digesting (and bacteria goes nuts eating what's not digested). Some crucial nutrients fail to get digested in that case, including: tryptophan and zinc. You need those for the nightly melatonin surge that keeps acne from happening in an acne-free person.

Some people can find improvement by overdosing zinc. Zinc is implicated in multiple pathways that can help prevent the inflammation of acne. Some people can find improvement by overdosing niacin. It's the same story there -- in fact, niacin and zinc share one potential pathway in that they can help make one cell anti-oxidant (glutathione) more plentiful. However, then you have to worry about the long-term effects of overdosing.

Prescription:

Spend all day every day in bright outdoor light (no sunglasses!), sleep in a darkened bedroom for >=9 hours each night with a sleep mask.

Can't spend 12 hours each day outdoors in bright light? Then diet will matter. Give up the caffeine (depletes zinc and flattens the melatonin curve). Give up the fructose (sodas, high-fructose fruits like apples, pears, mangoes, etc.). Try to avoid sweets anytime close to when you are eating the meats that contain tryptophan.

If you are deficient in certain nutrients (which living in dim light helps to cause, because of impaired digestion), then the chemical cascade that melatonin is meant to cause each night can be damaged. Try taking:

* 30mg zinc picolinate

* a Vitamin B complex pill

* >= 1000 IU Vitamin D3 (make sure it says "cholecalciferol"

* 200mcg selenium

Zinc is an atom that gets used in multiple ways during the melatonin surge. If you're deficient in Vitamin B, the body will use up big amounts of tryptophan to make it up, leaving less for creating melatonin at night. Vitamin D will not cure acne, but there is preliminary research that implies it can be harder to absorb zinc if you are D-deficient, which most Americans are. An adult burns up around three or four thousand IU of Vitamin D, so if you're getting no UVB rays from the sun and not drinking enormous amounts of milk, you probably don't have enough to even keep your skeleton from slowly falling apart (though Sally Fields will sell you a really awful pill to fix that for you when it gets bad enough!). Finally, selenium helps move zinc out of one molecule into a position where it can perform an anti-oxidant function, so it's a good idea to not be deficient in it.

Read through this post. ("Good Things For Acne condensed handbook")

It has a TON of info on which supplements/ dietary habits/ etc are good for acne... all up to date with scientific research.