Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My acne is starting to depress me. I have had it since I was about 14. I am now 17. I have tried a lot of things. I am now on the Clean and Clear Advantage Kit. It had a cleanser, moisturizer, and spot treatment. I started using it about 5 days ago. The only difference I have seen is that my acne has gotten worse. I woke up this morning after using it last night, and I had 4 or 5 white heads on my chin on the right side. I have heard that seeing more acne at first is a good thing because it is a sign that it is coming out of the skin for good. Is that true? Here are some pics...

post-112056-1252368153_thumb.jpg

post-112056-1252368177_thumb.jpg

post-112056-1252368193_thumb.jpg

post-112056-1252368153_thumb.jpg

post-112056-1252368177_thumb.jpg

post-112056-1252368193_thumb.jpg

Hi Sparkyy

Indeed you are right that most people find they have an initial breakout during the early stages of their regime. This is nothing to worry about! If anything see it as positive for now because your skin is realising that something is being done :) Thats how ive always seen it anyway.

You will find that on here that the general concensus is that over-the-counter products like the C&C Kit arent going to fight acne by themselves, as much as they claim they will. The same goes for the common ones like Clearasil, Freederm etc (depending on where you are from). They might help but wont get you excellent results.

Have you seen a doctor or dermatologist about your acne to get some medication? And have you read about or tried benozyl peroxide. Many people here are fans of the regime that was started by Dan, the creator of Acne.org. Since starting it just over a month ago it has tackled my moderate acne beautifully. Check out my regime in my signature. But definately have a read of the articles on this website and in the message boards to get some ideas :)

I know how you feel. But I just try to tell myself that I am not the only one and sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't. Since you just started a regimen those could just be Initial Breakouts and would eventually go away but make sure you don't touch it so that the bacteria will not spread. Be patient with this, give it a couple of months and if you are not satisfied I recommend you see a dermatologist instead of trying more OTC products. Goodluck!

Indeed you are right that most people find they have an initial breakout during the early stages of their regime. This is nothing to worry about! If anything see it as positive for now because your skin is realising that something is being done :) Thats how ive always seen it anyway.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

I've yet to see a coherent and scientifically backed up explanation of the "initial breakout" phenomenon.

If it fucks up your skin, stop doing it. That's how I see it anyway.

Any new regimen should be given about 8 weeks to work, especially prescription medications. If your skin starts to burn, peel excessively, crack or hurt, then stop, you could be allergic or it could be too strong for you. If you get a few extra zits, keep it up and see what the results are at around 8 weeks.

Edited by Alona

I've yet to see a coherent and scientifically backed up explanation of the "initial breakout" phenomenon.

Heh. I've had acne for almost ten years (not as long as many, I know, but long enough to experiment with all kinds of treatments) and the two times I've been clear (one being now after starting Dan's regimen) it all started with a treatment that caused an initial breakout.

The other time was with prescription medication (tretinoin cream and amoxicillin). That got me clear after consistent application, but only after the acne got worse first.

Everything else I've tried, I see now I probably never gave enough time to work, but I recall getting a lot more frustrated with things that just did NOTHING to my acne as opposed to making it worse at first.

Some products can cause people to purge, which is similar to an IB. The product draws some of the gunk that was forming in the skin to the surface, which results in a breakout. It's not that the product is "fucking up" their skin; it's that it's helping to clear it out.

If everybody stopped using any product that caused an IB or made them purge in the beginning, a lot more people would still be dealing with acne (and having a heck of a lot harder time finding a treatment to use). Just because a product causes an IB or makes you purge early on doesn't mean that it won't work in the long term.

hey sparky

i know acne is sooo depressing. i used to come on this site to try and find solutions but would end up being a bit confused as no one seemed to be saying the same things. i guess different things work for different people. i finally decided to become a member to share what i can to help others as i know how depressing acne can make you feel - especially on a really bad breakout day!

i have had acne for around 10 years and now in my 20's and for years i was trying all the otc stuff but nothing really made a considerable difference. after getting serious about trying to do something about it and many hours of reading the causes of acne i think i have come up with a solution which has almost eliminated my spots and would work for most people or at least help quite a lot. It does cost slightly more than otc stuff but worth every penny to have nice skin.

step 1. vitamin B5 or also known as pantothenic acid is something which i really can't express enough as to how good it is. apart from going to a dermatologist and getting amoxicillin or other prescription medication, this really is amazing. basically you can only get B5 from some foods, it does not occur naturally in the body, and it helps breakdown fat in foods before it is excreated through our pores causing that greasyness which clogs pores and eventually leads to spots. effectively, it will stop the cause of spots at the root and will work for any body acne ie shoulders and neck too. everywhere seems to be selling it for quite a lot in the uk but the cheapest place is vitamin uk (google them) which does 1000 tablets for around £40. get tablets as opposed to capsules as they are easier to swallow. i know it seems quite a lot but it does work. you have to 'mega dose' which means taking 20 500mg tablets per day. i know this sounds like a lot but it is a water soluble vitamin which means you can't overdose as you will just pee it out if you do. I have been taking it for the last few months and it really helps with stopping acne from forming in the first place, and stopping greasyness. take 10 in the morning and 10 at night. don't be lazy and forget as it really won't work as well. It will dry out the skin slightly but you need to moisturise anyway - i'll come back to that though.

Step 2. Buy dermalogica special clearing gel. my girlfriend introduced me to dermalogica as she used it when she had spots. it is hands down the best thing you will get as a topical treatment. you can't get it in most chemists but the cheapest place is online anyway. again, it is more expensive but it lasts forever as you only need a pea sized amount. you need to tackle acne from within using vitamin b5, and also using the dermalogica special clensing gel as a topical treatment to keep skin clean.

Step 3. moisturise using a light oil free moisturiser. don't overdo it but you need to put back moisture after stripping it away. i used to never moisturise as i wanted to tighten my skin and dry out spots, but this is really counter productive as without moisture the skin tries to soak up any moisture it can get including grease on the skin and will lead to whiteheads and spots. if i have red spots i will use a benzoyl peroxide gel overnight but this shouldn't be used all the time as it will irritate skin. if you are going to use it then wash your face with dermalogica at night, then moisturise, leave for a few minutes to allow the moisturiser to sink in, then apply benzoyl peroxide. at the moment i am using boots no.7 for men anti-shine lotion as my moisturiser which i have found to be the best - remember you don't need to use too much but enough to stop any tightness feeling.

Step 4. i think much of my spots are caused by hormone imbalances, and being a guy myself this is often to do with testosterone levels. while i haven't read anything to back this up i have definately noticed that working out definately helps my spots. i don't know if it is sweating which helps to clear out the pores or burning off excess testosterone or a mix of the two which causes it but if your not a gym goer yourself then i would recommend getting some dumbells and working out on a regular basis. it also has the addedd benifit of achieving a nice body which is a bonus.

If you are depressed about your spots i would SERIOUSLY recommend the above. i fianally got to the point where i decided to spend that bit more and it has def paid off. the whole lot would cost around £70 but will last for ages, the dermalogica for around 3 months, vitamin b5 around 2 months and moisturiser around 2-3months. spread out over this time it is definately worth spending £20 a month until your skin is looking good and then you'll easily spend the money to keep it up. if you do decide to try out the above i can guarantee it will help and if it works please pass it on to others.....

good luck