Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayQ

Omega 3 & 6

Ok i think i need some help with this one, because i may have been eating to much more of omega 6 than 3.

I have read that walnuts are the best source for omega 3 and also grean leafy salads are too. Pretty much that all other nuts and seeds beside flax are sources of omega 6. Well i eat green leafy salads everyday but add sunflower seeds, almonds or pecans on top. I have ate walnuts throughout the day though. I do not know if this is partially a problem with my reoccuring acne in same area over and over but i need to make sure i am getting all the balance i can to figure out my condiiton.

So my question is what is the best way/how/what to balance the two throughout the day. Examples of what foods to eat and how much per serving in a given day.

The thing about nuts is that they are terrible on a sensitive digestive system. They are also very prone to rancidity. Moreover, if you're a guy, then nuts are a terrible source of preformed omega 3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. You want them preformed (like in fish oil and other animal sources) because males cannot properly convert the alpha linolenic acid from nut and plant sources to EPA and DHA like females can. The conversion is very low.

If i were you, i'd focus on eating more fish than eating more nuts. Maybe opt for fish that are low on the food chain and go for the wild-caught if possible.

If I remember correctly Walnuts do contain a lot of Omega 3, but just as much or more Omega 6.

Ok so i have to eat wild caught fish only? Or will fish oil pills work? I also eat nuts throughout day to get those dense calories to help maintain weight.

If I remember correctly Walnuts do contain a lot of Omega 3, but just as much or more Omega 6.

Ok so i have to eat wild caught fish only? Or will fish oil pills work? I also eat nuts throughout day to get those dense calories to help maintain weight.

Also what brand and dosage for the day would be best? If i do try this can i still eat the nuts and seeds throughout the day as my snacks?

Also what brand and dosage for the day would be best? If i do try this can i still eat the nuts and seeds throughout the day as my snacks?

Ok been doing some research on the ingredients in fish oil and noticed that most contain soy which i am trying to avoid. So i came across Salmon Oil for omega 3 sold in GNC that is soy free. Do you think this will work just as good as other regular fish oil pills?

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?produ...&cp=2108442

Sorry, i forgot to say why i don't like that gnc one. My main problem with that one is that there's no antioxidant protection against rancidity. I'd rather go for Carlson Labs flavored cod liver oil or fish oil in liquid. The ingredients are simple: Omega-3 Fish Oil, natural lemon flavor, natural tocopherols. That's it. You won't be able to taste the fish oil at all, if that's a concern.

They sell it at every single health food shop or vitamin store that i've been to in Toronto. I'm pretty sure it won't be that difficult to find where you live. You can also buy it online though.

http://www.iherb.com/The-Very-Finest-Fish-...00-ml/2796?at=1

Sorry, i forgot to say why i don't like that gnc one. My main problem with that one is that there's no antioxidant protection against rancidity. I'd rather go for Carlson Labs flavored cod liver oil or fish oil in liquid. The ingredients are simple: Omega-3 Fish Oil, natural lemon flavor, natural tocopherols. That's it. You won't be able to taste the fish oil at all, if that's a concern.

They sell it at every single health food shop or vitamin store that i've been to in Toronto. I'm pretty sure it won't be that difficult to find where you live. You can also buy it online though.

http://www.iherb.com/The-Very-Finest-Fish-...00-ml/2796?at=1

For some reason that link will not open for me

Ok i think i need some help with this one, because i may have been eating to much more of omega 6 than 3.

I have read that walnuts are the best source for omega 3 and also grean leafy salads are too. Pretty much that all other nuts and seeds beside flax are sources of omega 6. Well i eat green leafy salads everyday but add sunflower seeds, almonds or pecans on top. I have ate walnuts throughout the day though. I do not know if this is partially a problem with my reoccuring acne in same area over and over but i need to make sure i am getting all the balance i can to figure out my condiiton.

So my question is what is the best way/how/what to balance the two throughout the day. Examples of what foods to eat and how much per serving in a given day.

The best source for omega 3s aren't walnuts, unless you're a vegetarian (and even that is debatable) . The best sources of omega 3s are wild fish and grass fed meats.

Just search 'carlson' at iherb.com or at any other online vitamin store.

It works now, guess just site was down. Hmm i will have to look into this, i know my EFA balance could use some work and hopefully it will help keep my reoccuring acne on chin at bay.

It works now, guess just site was down. Hmm i will have to look into this, i know my EFA balance could use some work and hopefully it will help keep my reoccuring acne on chin at bay.

Anyone else that uses a certain brand that has worked for them really well at clearing up and keeping their acne very mild if not away?

i know my EFA balance could use some work

Well, then, get on fish oil already. Have you looked for Carlson at the health food shops in your neighborhood yet?

You're a guy right? If you are, then stop trying to get your omega 3s from oilseeds, nuts, and plant sources. I mentioned this a number of times on this forum already, but i'll say it again. Guys cannot readily convert the alpha linolenic acid from these non-animal sources to the essential fatty acids EPA and DHA.

If you'd like, read this study done by the Univ. of Southampton: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15075703

"Conversion of alpha-linolenic acid to eicosapentaenoic acid is limited in men and further transformation to docosahexaenoic acid is very low"

"Overall, alpha-linolenic acid appears to be a limited source of longer-chain n-3 fatty acids in man and so adequate intakes of preformed n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, in particular docosahexaenoic acid, may be important for maintaining optimal tissue function."

You don't get preformed n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids EPA and DHA from plant sources. You get them from animal sources like fish.

The omega 3 in your walnuts is of very little use to you (if you're a guy). Actually, it might even be bad for you if you consume too much of them as high alpha linolenic acid is increased prostate cancer in men.

Here's an article from the Univ. of Maryland you can read: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/alpha-l...enic-000284.htm

"Although studies have found that regular consumption of fish (which includes the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA) may reduce the risk of macular degeneration, a recent study including two large groups of men and women found that diets rich in alpha-linolenic acid may substantially increase the risk of this disease. Until more is known, people with macular degeneration may want to obtain omega-3 fatty acids from sources of EPA and DHA, rather than alpha-linolenic acid.

Similarly, fish and fish oil may protect against prostate cancer, but alpha-linolenic acid may be associated with increased risk of prostate cancer in men. "

Edited by jksl