Notifications
Clear all

Coconut Oil Fiasco

MemberMember
(@ucfguy3)

Posted : 09/07/2009 11:50 am

Hi Everyone,

I've been using raw, extra-virgin, organic coconut oil on my face for over a week now, after reading all across the internet (and on this website) how amazing it is at clearing the skin. Well, the first two days were amazing, everything cleared up and my skin tone looked amazing. Slowly, I started noticing that my pores were filling up with sebum all over my face. I ignored it and assumed it was part of the "purging" process which I've read about.

A few days later, and large red whiteheads appeared only on my right side of my face, while the left side looks flawless. I let those heal, and they seem to be going away. However, upon closer inspection, every single pore on my face is plugged with sebum now, from my forehead to my chin and everywhere in between. I believe that these clogged pores eventually turn into the giant red inflamed postules, but then go away quickly due to the antibacterial properties of the coconut oil. So it's a catch-22.

Has anyone else experienced this with coconut oil, or am I still just "purging" and should I ignore the fact that every single pore on my face is clogged and keep going?

Thanks,

Richard

MemberMember
(@tigermike)

Posted : 09/07/2009 2:30 pm

you can try using it less and less once you get "clear" or "clear enough".

or put it on as a mask for an hour and then wash it off instead of going to sleep.

you can also try using a smaller amount on your face when you do use it.

I have been using it for quite awhile but recently faded off of it because i was staying clearer due to diet and exercise.

It's still an incredible moisturizer, and I use it on occasion for that reason.

Don't forget you can use it internally too by consuming it in your diet.

Great anti-fungal that way. Kills harmful bacteria in the gut.

goodluck

MemberMember
(@ucfguy3)

Posted : 09/07/2009 2:37 pm

or put it on as a mask for an hour and then wash it off instead of going to sleep.

I have been using it for quite awhile but recently faded off of it because i was staying clearer due to diet and exercise.

goodluck

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try to use it sparingly or more as a spot-treatment. I've been taking it internally, but now I get nauseous for about four hours after consuming the oil. Do you have any recommendations for other ways to internally consume the coconut oil?

Thanks

Richard

MemberMember
(@tigermike)

Posted : 09/08/2009 1:34 am

goodluck

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try to use it sparingly or more as a spot-treatment. I've been taking it internally, but now I get nauseous for about four hours after consuming the oil. Do you have any recommendations for other ways to internally consume the coconut oil?

Thanks

Richard

yeah absolutely.

i'm assuming you are taking it straight with a spoon?...lol...yeah that cause issues if your body isn't used to it i suppose. I don't really take it straight like that anymore. It's just not very appealing. You could do this instead...mix coconut oil with a nut butter such as almond butter or peanut butter (beware of allergies, etc) and eat it that way. It creates a pudding of some sort and it's much easier and tastier to consume. you can even add cocoa powder or honey if you really wanna ramp up the flavor.

but my number one recommendation would be to just COOK with it.

since it is so high in healthy saturated fats it makes it a great oil to cook with because it remains stable at higher temperatures and won't go rancid (unhealthy) like olive oil and other veggie oils do under high heat. I use coconut oil to cook scrambled eggs, omelets, stir-fry veggies and meat, oil the grill grate for BBQ, caramelize onions, etc, etc,.

some people say they can taste the oil in the food that it is cooked with. I personally don't taste it unless i've used a TON of coconut oil. But it might just depend on everyones taste buds or the brand of oil you use.

experiment with it.

goodluck

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/08/2009 3:40 am

I remember coconut oil irritated the shit out of my scalp every single time i applied it. It actually gave me scalp acne too. It even made me shed a LOT of my hair. And then i recently found this:

[Links removed]

Coconut oil is a highly comedogenic oil. Never again will i put that crap on my skin.

MemberMember
(@vegangirl)

Posted : 09/08/2009 11:58 am

goodluck

Thanks

Richard

Coconut oil is extremely inflammatory. If your acne is due to an inflammatory response, you acne will get much worse after consuming it. So if you take the coconut oil and the next day your skin is worse, stop taking it. Some people think it is their skin detoxing, but it would take a lot longer for something to detox your skin.

MemberMember
(@tigermike)

Posted : 09/08/2009 2:52 pm

goodluck

Thanks

Richard

Coconut oil is extremely inflammatory. If your acne is due to an inflammatory response, you acne will get much worse after consuming it. So if you take the coconut oil and the next day your skin is worse, stop taking it. Some people think it is their skin detoxing, but it would take a lot longer for something to detox your skin.

how/why is it inflammatory?

just curious. i've heard the opposite.

I think coconut oil is vilified because of its saturated fat content. Unfortunately America has been brainwashed to think saturated fats are evil and cause heart disease, etc. it's just not true.

The only thing i can think of that would qualify coconut oil as "inflammatory" would be its omega3/omega6 ratio.

Coconut oil has no omega3 fatty acids in it. So therefore it automatically has a poor ratio to omega6. and omega6 fatty acids are inflammatory. but that doesn't automatically make coconut oil inflammatory. Walnuts are considered "anti-inflammatory" and yet they too have more omega6 than omega3. it's all about your TOTAL omega 6 intake. not JUST the ratio.

So yes, if you are consuming coconut oil and believing it to be some magic bullet for acne...all while you continue to eat junk carbs and processed foods....then you're very mistaken.

you have to take responsibility for your health and make the necessary changes to see results.

MemberMember
(@serber917)

Posted : 03/20/2017 1:47 pm

I only use it on my face at night. After I wash, I apply just a small amount and go to sleep. Sounds like you are overloading.

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/21/2017 4:20 pm

I use it for cooking and my hair masks. It's not exactly non-comedogenic. There are better oils out there like rosehip seed oil, hemp oil, etc.