Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prettyunderneathit

My last hope for treating my acne... failed.

I'm sure you all have heard the story before... had acne since I was a kid, tried everything, nothing has worked, so I started Accutane. I was thrilled, because after a few days of taking the medicine, I could see my pores tightening and oil production lessening. It was working! BUT, my hair started falling out like crazy. Every time I brushed my hair, 50+ strands would come out... way more than normal shedding. After only 15 days on the drug, I made the difficult decision to stop taking it. I'd rather have acne than be bald. (I have very thin hair to start with.)

I am just so upset... I feel like nothing will ever work for me. People tell me I will "grow out" of my acne (um, I'm already 21, lol) or that I should just "try Proactiv." All my college friends have clear skin. To make things worse, I popped all the zits I had, so now my face is filled with lovely dark red scabs.

I hate acne. I know I'm pretty underneath it, which is the frustrating thing. I am glad I found this forum, everyone here seems so nice and supportive. Well I guess I just wanted to vent. I don't know if there are any alternatives to Accutane, and I don't even know if I want to look. :cry:

Im so sorry to hear that your last alternative failed, ive been in your situation and i know how frustrated you must feel. I tried all sorts of stuff just like you and it all was a failure. I just want you to know that there is hope, look up "The Acne Practice" on google and search through the site for more info, dont be get so discauraged. I am in no way, I REPEAT IN NO WAY ASSOCIATED with the website, Nore am i advertising their products for marketing purposes. i know Acne.org had a small issue with them and that they might delete my post. But i just want you to know that there is hope. Hang in there.

Another conversation with your dermatologist might be a good idea. Like telling her about your hair falling out and how you've decided to stop taking it.

Have you tried retin-a? I know that if you've been on accutane than you probably have. I'm just wondering because for me, the combination of retin-a, doxycycline, and clindamycine worked.

And than I know that at my last dermatologist appointment my dermatologist mentioned somthing about a new treatment that came out that was working well for her other patients. I dont know what it is though. But new treatments are always coming out I guess.

I myself, though my face isn't as bad as it once was, get a few spots from time to time and I might go back to what I looked like before because my doxycycline isn't working anymore. But I know that if I'm not clear before my move-to-japan teaching job interview after college that I'll use makeup. Maybe give that a try? Fuck the social norms, really. EDIT: this is from a guys perspective (the make-up thing)

Best of luck, we're all in this together!

Edited by OwlHowl

Hey there,

Accutane didn't work for me either, though it never made my hair fall out =(

I'm pleased to say that I am completely clear now though. If you are interested I have posted a quick overview of I how I got clear here on Acne.org, the link is in my sig.

If you have any questions just ask!

K

You cannot let acne get in the way of life. I mean, I don't know if you do or not. You sound pretty grounded in your post. It does suck a buck that the accutane didnt work, especially when you would have been pinning all your hopes on it. But all you can do is go back to the derm and have a convo aboot what would be best, and then just get on with living, really.

:)

Man, keep taking it, so you lost some hair, big deal, it'll grow back eventually and you'll likely have clear skin.

You're trying to make an omelette here without breaking any eggs, it doesn't work like that.

Thank you for your advice and encouragement, everyone! I really appreciate it.

Godot, I wish I felt like that but I'm a girl with long hair - if I was a guy I would be like screw it, and just get a buzz cut, but that's not an option lol.

One reason why I am glad I'm a girl is cause of the make-up... I would be in trouble without my foundation. OwlHowl I agree with you - just wear a little make up, who cares! People hopefully won't notice it that much anyway. I use Bareminerals which is a really light powder, that would maybe work for you.

Thanks again everyone. I'm really glad this community is here.

just keep your head up! i feel like u in a sense that i know im a good looking guy but my damn acne always hholds me back. Have Faith everything will get better !