Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
adultacne27

Foods to avoid?

Hi there-

I'm new to the whole holistic acne treatment scene, but since my dermatologist has been pushing accutane pretty hard lately, and I'm not interested, I thought I'd try the other direction. So I'm trying a very healthy diet, one with lots of organic fresh fruits, vegetables, etc. But I'm wondering if there are any foods in particular that I should try to avoid, and would love to hear any advice anyone has on what to stay away from? Thank you!

Hi there-

I'm new to the whole holistic acne treatment scene, but since my dermatologist has been pushing accutane pretty hard lately, and I'm not interested, I thought I'd try the other direction. So I'm trying a very healthy diet, one with lots of organic fresh fruits, vegetables, etc. But I'm wondering if there are any foods in particular that I should try to avoid, and would love to hear any advice anyone has on what to stay away from? Thank you!

If you're not allergic to gluten try ezekiel bread ^^

Also, you should add beans, fish, meats into your diet but I would add these one at a time!

Because you may be allergic to certain fish! Or gluten!

Oh and greek yogurt is awesome! But it's dairy!

You should try it if you're not allergic to dairy. Perhaps replacing the fish for Fish oil would be great! :) Because fish oil contains up to 1000mg of omega-3.

Edited by EddieE

You could see if your acne is related to insulin/blood sugar problems. To do that you would need to...

Avoid these things:

Sugar (besides fruit)

ALL GRAINS (pasta, bread, etc. WHOLE GRAIN OR NOT, GLUTEN FREE OR NOT), Corn is a grain. Rice is a grain.

Starchy Vegetables such as Potatoes.

All Legumes (Beans)

All Dairy (Eggs are not dairy)

That leaves these things to eat: Meat, Seafood, Nuts, Veggies, Fruit, Eggs

Follow this for AT LEAST one month to see results.

Adding exercise will only HELP your insulin problems get better.

any questions, just ask.

goodluck.

You could see if your acne is related to insulin/blood sugar problems. To do that you would need to...

Avoid these things:

Sugar (besides fruit)

ALL GRAINS (pasta, bread, etc. WHOLE GRAIN OR NOT, GLUTEN FREE OR NOT), Corn is a grain. Rice is a grain.

Starchy Vegetables such as Potatoes.

All Legumes (Beans)

All Dairy (Eggs are not dairy)

That leaves these things to eat: Meat, Seafood, Nuts, Veggies, Fruit, Eggs

Follow this for AT LEAST one month to see results.

Adding exercise will only HELP your insulin problems get better.

any questions, just ask.

goodluck.

I forgot to add nuts. :)

But you're right! I would stick to those diet then later gradually add beans, etc, to see whether or not it will break you out. There are healthy grains and dairy that is needed! :)

Edited by EddieE

I found avocados give me a bad reaction,,, that could be just me though. I've read that it is a pro inflammatory

Avoid consuming high GL meals, snacks and drinks, and reduce refined sugars, refined carbs, hydrogenated or trans fats (margarine, crisco, fried foods) and processed foods in general in favor of real, whole nutrient dense fruit, veggies, fish, etc.

Also, avoid anything you personally have an intolerance for, which you will have to figure out for yourself. Start by avoiding dairy and wheat and other gluten containing grains, then move on to other common allergens like peanuts, soy, egg whites, true nuts, etc. And even if you don't get dramatic results from avoiding wheat and dairy, you should limit your consumption. There are several ways they can impact acne, not just due to food intolerance.

Hello there!

I guess I should probably have started this thread with what I'm doing, rather than just asking what to avoid, so consider this post a bit of a late revision to my first one.

Here's what I've been doing:

My diet is pesca-vegan (i.e. vegan, with the exception of eating fish), heavy in raw fruits and vegetables, and mostly organic (except when I can't afford it). I also drink two cups of tea a day (black, not green...even though I've heard it is recommended for its skin benefits, it gives me a weird headache that I can't tolerate). Most of the breads/grains I eat are gluten-free, or unrefined.

Here are the current vitamins/supplements I take:

Fish oil capsule (twice a day, unless I eat fish that day)

Probiotics (in the morning, on an empty stomach, an hour before breakfast)

Multivitamin

Calcium

B complex

D vitamin

Zinc

Glucosamine (this is for maintaining healthy joints rather than skin...I take it because I workout a lot)

Here are the things I'm struggling with:

I recently replaced my can-a-day addiction to diet pepsi with a new product called "zevia" which is diet soda, but sweetened with stevia, so it doesn't have the insulin spike of regular diet colas. However, I have found this switch difficult, so I'd love to hear any advice anyone has on how to give up soda.

Also, I really (really!) like sugar. I mostly eat dark (70-80% cocoa content) chocolate when I want a sugary snack, but I do really like lollypops as well, and tend to eat way (way!) too many of them while I study. So, any advice on how to give up refined sugars would be great.

Thanks for all your replies!

Guest veganwithacne

I feel that as a vegan I have to keep explaining this.

Veganism is a philosophy and a way of life, not a diet.

I follow a strict vegetarian diet and live as a vegan, which extends beyond diet and is involved in every decision I make. I don't eat anything that comes from animals. I do not wear anything that comes from animals. I do not buy cars with leather seats. I do not use feathers boas etc. You can be a vegetarian who does not eat flesh, eggs, dairy, or honey but still not be vegan because you wear wool, silk, leather, etc.

I just wanted to clear that up because it drives me crazy. The word vegan was adopted because people started to use vegetarian loosely.

adultacne27

You would be a pescetarian who does not to eat dairy or eggs. This was not a rant at you, rather just to clarify because I am sure you heard vegan diet somewhere else etc.

I recently replaced my can-a-day addiction to diet pepsi with a new product called "zevia" which is diet soda, but sweetened with stevia, so it doesn't have the insulin spike of regular diet colas. However, I have found this switch difficult, so I'd love to hear any advice anyone has on how to give up soda.

Also, I really (really!) like sugar. I mostly eat dark (70-80% cocoa content) chocolate when I want a sugary snack, but I do really like lollypops as well, and tend to eat way (way!) too many of them while I study. So, any advice on how to give up refined sugars would be great.

I quit Coke cold turkey without a problem even though I believed I was addicted and was even amused by my adiction along with all the Americana nostalgia about Coca Cola. Just brew some teas and keep other such sugar free drinks on hand. See the Drinks Recipe thread in the food and recipe resource under Important Topics.

Also, you don't actually have to give up refined sugars completely. You need to minimize them and you need to eat them only in combination with protein, fiber, and or fats to minimize their glycemic impact. But that goes for natural sugars, refined carbs or other high GI food as well. Even fruit. However, to give them up, don't buy them.

Edited by alternativista

try substituting your cravings for sweets with fats.

humans naturally crave sweet, salty, and fatty things.

If you don't want to substitute fresh fruit for the refined sweets then try pigging out on something fatty that will fill you up for awhile.

Nuts have alot of fat, Avocados, Olive Oil,...I suppose you're pretty limited being vegan.

I have a feeling you're diet is carb-heavy, and that is why you continue to have carb cravings.

When our bodies are used to burning carbs as fuel, we crave carbs more.

When our bodies are used to burning fat as fuel, we don't crave carbs much at all.

Hi there-

Welcome!! As for fruits and veggies, I highly recommend starting with making green smoothies (link in my signature below), as they're an easy way to get in your fruits and greens (especially cruciferous greens). There is additional information at my green smoothie thread on other foods to eat/avoid. Good luck! :)