Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blehin

applying for a job and job interviews

How do you guys do it? I'm really depressed and don't have the confidence to go applying for a job or getting interviewed with acne. I hate picturing working with bad skin.

Any advice?

Avoid mirrors, at all costs and find something that you really love doing. Eventually you will forget you have acne because you are doing something you love! Oh yeah, make sure your not working with dicks that will point it out every chance they get.

Thanks for the response :)

Avoiding mirrors doesn't really work for me because I still know that it is sill there :(

Just realize that you're still capable of getting hired despite having acne. I will be completely honest here, having acne will make things more difficult for you to get a job but it's by no means impossible. Maybe try and find a job that won't involve people seeing your face such as tech support.

I had a job at a grocery store as a cart guy, bager, and cleaning person. It was good for my acne because if I ever had a problem or somthing new came up than I could just pretend I was cleaning the bathroom while I took care of it.

I also rarely had to talk to people face to face other than when I bagged groceries which wasn't to bad because they talked to the casheer.

I think it's illegal for them not to hire due to things like acne unless it's a store based on appearance. I know I got my job interview through knowing one of the guys that worked there so I basically just talked about him and it made me seem outgoing.

Just keep eye contact though it's hard and he'll look you in the eyes not the face. Try and think of ways to talk to seem outgoing. For me though, alot of times I'm automatically outgoing when I'm really nervous, it's natural I think.

Im not sure those advice are really good. I mean restricting your choices to those jobs that dun require much human contact?? Maybe if you are uncomfortable with human contact i guess...

I've seen people with severe acne getting jobs which require meeting with clients. Just try for what you like i guess. Dun let acne hold u back.

How do you guys do it? I'm really depressed and don't have the confidence to go applying for a job or getting interviewed with acne. I hate picturing working with bad skin.

Any advice?

A co-worker of mine has acne. As do quite a few other people who work at the same company as I do. Also, I was in a restaurant the other day and a guy who took orders there had acne. And his was pretty severe... So I don't think your acne will come between you and getting a job, necessarily.

But the fact that you feel very low and don't have much confidence might. Many times people have told me after they said "We'll see you on Monday" that all I had to bring with me to work was myself, my lunch box and...a good mood. And they way they said that was kind of jokingly. But they really meant that. It's a pretty dumb thing to say for an employer, imo and I could elaborate on why I feel that way but I don't want to get too dark...or off topic. ;) But I'll say this: if they can't or won't accept you just the way you are, then they can go take a hike, ok?

In any case, you should try to see the job interviews as positive things. Not as chores. I mean, when you eventually have a job it's only a cool thing, right? So when you go and do job interviews, you're on your way to find that. Which you could see as an exciting thing. :)

As for picturing working with acne as a bad thing... Indeed, I imagine it can be sometimes. For sure. Because there are plenty of bullies out there. I've run into quite a bit of these kind of people myself. When you run into this, don't keep it all bottled up inside but adress the problem. Go to the manager and talk to him in private. As soon as you can. And tell him who did what. Do that and you should be OK.

Anyway, as for gaining a bit of confidence... That's a tough thing for me to give any advice about because it was very difficult for me as well for a long time. I guess the only thing I can say is that you should try to avoid thinking about it as much as you can. If you obsess about it, you'll just get very tense. So try to find distractions.

Good luck.