Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-lxl-

Alpha Lipoic Acid

i read the acne.or review for ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) and every response seemed very positive

but i was wondering HOW ALA benefits acne-prone skin?

and how much should a person take to see results?

Alpha Lipoic Acid recycles the vitamin C and E in your body and increases glutathione to detox your body. Its main action against acne is from being a super antioxidant. It also lowers blood sugar (so, take it with food).

i remember reading that it chelates both toxic metals and essential minerals (apparently, it's a pretty strong acid). It would be a good idea to increase your intake of mineral rich foods. It also depletes certain b-vitamins, especially the hair-protecting biotin. Supplement with extra biotin on top of a b-complex, if you're gonna take ALA. Another downside to ALA is that it can interfere with the T4 to T3 conversion (i.e. bad for the thyroid). Supplementation with zinc and selenium may be necessary to counter this. Edit: Also add vitamin D3 to this.

As for how much to take to see results, that really depends on the individual. You're gonna have to experiment.

Edited by jksl