Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
backdoor_clobber

Where can I get Accutane in college?

I am entering university and I want to get Accutane. I have student health insurance(provided by the university), and I want to know if the campus doctor will be able to prescribe Accutane to me. Also, will this type of insurance cover the costs for Accutane, since I heard it is very expensive without insurance. I go to university of california, santa cruz by the way. If not, what ways can I get Accutane legally and affordably?

Edited by backdoor_clobber

I am entering university and I want to get Accutane. I have student health insurance(provided by the university), and I want to know if the campus doctor will be able to prescribe Accutane to me. Also, will this type of insurance cover the costs for Accutane, since I heard it is very expensive without insurance. I go to university of california, santa cruz by the way. If not, what ways can I get Accutane legally and affordably?

i highly doubt your university doctor can prescribe you accutane. i know the doctor in my university can't do stuff like that. but i'm in maine so it might be different.

go see a dermatologist and inquire about accutane.

i highly doubt your university doctor can prescribe you accutane. i know the doctor in my university can't do stuff like that. but i'm in maine so it might be different.

go see a dermatologist and inquire about accutane.

1) It's impossible for us to know if your student insurance will cover Accutane. Look it up in the information that came with your policy. That being said, i highly doubt it, and even if it did, it probably wouldn't cover a whole course. I'm on student insurance too and our maximum prescription drug benefit is $2500/year (which is about 2 months worth of Accutane). Yes, it's that expensive.

2) A university doctor would be really unlikely to prescribe Accutane. You would probably have to see a dermatologist.

3) I thought Accutane was pulled from the US market anyway?

I took accutane a few years ago, it cleared me up but now my acne is back, although less severe. So it might take more than one or two rounds to work, if it even does.

Good luck.

I would advise against that, those places aren't regulated so you never know what you're actually getting, could be a placebo at best, something else at worst.

Accutane is the worse thing ever ... completely f****d me over ...please dont do it

or you will be on other forums trying to cure your other problems caused by accutane

just be thankful acne is your only problem right now

How can I see a dermatologist and afford accutane if I don't have health insurance? The only one I have is the student health insurance. Also, I thought you had to see a doctor first before being referred to a dermatologist?

are you serious??? 1250 dollars per month for accutane??? jeeeeeezz. that's like... over 5 years worth of regimen supplies hahaha

As this has nothing to do with the acne.org regimen, this thread is moved from that forum to Accutane posts.

The best you can do is see what the uni medical center suggests. You may not need isotretinoin at all.

it's not just the acne. it's that my entire face is so oily as well...its almost like my face is always wet. there arent always major side effects for accutane. how do people afford accutane if they don't have health insurance? i just want to know if student health insurances cover for these medicine fees if i am directed to a dermatologist by my doctor?

Edited by backdoor_clobber

1) It's impossible for us to know if your student insurance will cover Accutane. Look it up in the information that came with your policy. That being said, i highly doubt it, and even if it did, it probably wouldn't cover a whole course. I'm on student insurance too and our maximum prescription drug benefit is $2500/year (which is about 2 months worth of Accutane). Yes, it's that expensive.

2) A university doctor would be really unlikely to prescribe Accutane. You would probably have to see a dermatologist.

$2500 for two months of accutane? that seems very excessive even for accutane. i've heard $600 a month on here and thought that was bad but wow.

might be because i am on claravis but last month it was like $150 to have it filled, it should be more expensive next month when i switch to 80mg but should still be less than $300 (still VERY excessive imo).

$2500 for two months of accutane? that seems very excessive even for accutane. i've heard $600 a month on here and thought that was bad but wow.

might be because i am on claravis but last month it was like $150 to have it filled, it should be more expensive next month when i switch to 80mg but should still be less than $300 (still VERY excessive imo).

Rich, there is a difference between what you pay, and what the drug costs the insurance. I paid $40/month for Accutane; I saw the insurance bills, and it cost the insurance company $1200/month. That was in 2002.

And as for those who say "don't do it" to the Accutane, it's a drug just like any other drug, and it works for some, doesn't work for others, and still others have bad side effects.

I second what Wynne says: your best option is to see a university doctor and see what s/he says. Isotretinoin is a serious step to take, and you probably want to exhaust other options first. Accutane was my 14th prescription drug, so if you've only tried one or two, then you've got a lot of other options.

Sorry for responding in the wrong forum, Wynne. Forgot which board I was on.

it's not just the acne. it's that my entire face is so oily as well...its almost like my face is always wet. there arent always major side effects for accutane. how do people afford accutane if they don't have health insurance? i just want to know if student health insurances cover for these medicine fees if i am directed to a dermatologist by my doctor?

This is something only your individual health insurance policy carrier can answer. You need to ask the carrier what is covered and what isn't. I would not ask about coverage for a specific medication until you KNOW you're prescribed that medication. Insurance companies can and may indeed find a reason to drop someone for coverage if they note that you plan to embark upon an expensive treatment regimen.