Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arufener

Regimen after two years starting to fail... new treatment ideas?

Hey everyone,

I started the regimen two years ago in august of 2007. I had previously gone to the dermatologist many times and tried a couple antibiotics, topical creams, and a five month treatment of accutane that worked but a few months afterwords my acne started coming back. When I first started using the regimen I got instant results and cleared my acne after a couple of months. I would have pimples form every once in a while and had cycles of mild acne every few months. When I strictly followed the regimen my acne stayed clear for the most part.

Now, within the last 3 months or so, my acne has come back consistently even while following the regimen. Its mainly on my cheeks and around my lips that pimples form. I've tried to up the amount of BP I use and even then I still have the acne on my cheeks. This is really frustrating because the regimen worked so well for a while and I thought my acne would start fading away as I got older (i'm 21 now) but it is still here and seems to be getting more stubborn everyday.

Has anyone else had similar problems with the regimen becoming less effective after several years of use? What are some other things that I could add to the regimen or replace the regimen with? I have read some posts that Epiduo works well... to me this product sounds pretty similar to the BP gel from acne.org.

Thanks!

Acne severity can wax and wane over time, but let's be sure you are doing everything correctly with the Regimen. It's pretty common for people to inadvertently slack off over time, and I want you to look through these links and take the little quiz and let's see if we can figure out what's going on.

http://www.acne.org/regimenadvice.php

http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#notworking

Acne severity can wax and wane over time, but let's be sure you are doing everything correctly with the Regimen. It's pretty common for people to inadvertently slack off over time, and I want you to look through these links and take the little quiz and let's see if we can figure out what's going on.

I have looked at those pages before several times and have done my best to follow the regimen exactly as it says. The fact that it did work quite well for at least a year and a half I think shows that I was following it correctly. I will admit that the most difficult part is being gentle when applying the BP, however I have become more and more adamant about doing so the last month or two with no avail.

Q: Will my skin become resistant to the beneficial effect of BP?

A: Propionibacterium Acnes (P. Acnes), the bacteria in acne lesions, can not survive in the presence of oxygen. BP creates oxygen. Therefore, it is physically impossible for this bacteria to develop a resistance. If the Regimen works at first, it should always work.

Source:http://www.acne.org/faq.html#resistant

I'm guessing you altered something.

is your acne inflamed or mostly under-the-skin bumps? i found that bp works well for acne in general, but mostly inflamed acne. the under the skin stuff is best treated by salicylic acid. i got rid of my under-the-skin bumps by incorporating salicylic acid into dan's regimen, alternating it every other night with AHA (i used it in conjuction with BP, but used only a pump on nights i would use the salicylic acid). and when i shower, i use a washcloth to GENTLY exfoliate my skin (gently being the operative word here!!) so my pores don't get clogged. i find that this helps a lot too.