Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ameliabright

working out and acne: how bad is it to wash your face 3x a day?

Hello everyone--

I haven't been to the gym for a month or two, but now that school is starting i will start my routine up again. I normally go 3-5 times a week, do at least 35 minutes of cardio (usually 45) and lift. I really workout hard, and try to burn at least 500 calories from my cardio workout. Naturally, I get really, really sweaty, and absolutely have to take a shower afterward. When I workout I sometimes breakout on my arms and back, so i started using neutrogena body clear body wash with an exfoliating sponge, and that seems to keep it under control.

My question is though, that i just have to wash my face in the shower--there's so much sweat that any water that drips down my face is salty! But Dan says that we should avoid washing our faces 3x a day, and that after workouts we should just remove sweat with a papertowel or something. Is this only for people who don't really workout hard? Because i think that if i didn't wash my face after i would breakout worse. I mean, I run/do the elliptical for 35 minutes on high intensity and break a sweat within 2 minutes, so it's not like i'm just 'glistening.' I was thinking that maybe it would be okay to just wash my face with a gentle cleanser and use an alcohol free toner, and save the whole exfoliant routine for night time. Because I usually workout around noon--i can't get out of the house earlier, and the gym is too crowded to go later. Advice would be much appreciated!