Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lickitysplit

Tiny White Bumps, can someone identify this?

I made a topic a little while ago about having tiny little white bumps, with no response as to what they actually are and what to do about them.

It's very hard describing them, so I took a pic with my cell phone and attatched them to this message.

As you can see in the pics, they aren't very noticeable especially from far away, but when you get up close you can see them. They don't really bother me now, but the doctor said that they are "precursors to future pimples". What can I do to stop that now that I know this, or what can I do to prevent them entirely?

Does anyone else have these, and what exactly are they called?

post-90811-1252161539_thumb.jpg

post-90811-1252161548_thumb.jpg

post-90811-1252161539_thumb.jpg

post-90811-1252161548_thumb.jpg

yes i have them all over my face and they are most annoying... i really dont know what they are called either... are they known as white heads or are white heads the ones with white coloured puss inside them that most people like myself pop....

im going to see a derm about them and also the bog red cystic ones that i also have.....

if you find out what they are and how to treat them or get rid of them then please please please let me know...

thanks

yes, these are what i have also. I fact i believe almost everyone with acne has them its just that yours any mine may not yet be infected. Once infected then they can more easily be identified as white heads or pustules etc. I think in essence they are just clogged pores. Normally i squeeze them out and tiny white string like substances comes out (i think keratin). If i leave them alone they seem to get itchy and/or eventually turn into an infected spot. I try to squeeze them out after a hot shower normally with relative ease and without leaving any hyperpigmentation. If squeezed successfully the area heals within a day or two.

Also I notice that once squeezeing them after a week or two they start appearing again and I have to start the squeezing process again. Its a never ending cycle but its the onyl way for me to tame them. I normally find that its best to squeeze them out before applying your regimen, in my case the Dans BP gel.

Sometimes I go through days where I just cant squeeze any and I just tend to leave it alone until it surfaces more or after having a warm shower.

Edited by sid99

You might also try googling 'milia'

Things that might help, depending on how much money you have to spend: glycolic acid peels, microdermabrasion, regular facials - I'd also look at diet and exercise if I were you - I think they may be related to high cholesterol levels, and you can bring that down through diet and exercise.

microdermabrasion does not work, I've had 5 sessions. To my knowledge, it's the tiny white spots you get around your eyes that can be a sign of raised cholesterol. These are entirely different.

Are you sure they are entirely different? I have both, and they seem nearly identical to me. The only difference I can see is that with the ones around my eyes, there is no pore to squeeze the gunge out of. I have the same thing on my lips, and my dermatologist (back when I used to see one) said they were the same thing.

I get those sometimes only they're smaller....sometimes on my upper arms too...

I have really light skin and so does my boyfriend and he has them too... I couldn't really tell from your picture, but do you think that could be a common factor?

Like because lighter skinned people are sometimes more prone to sensitive skin or irritation?

What I usually do is use Proactiv (it's sort of grainy so I think that helps get the funny little bumps down) and then use a moisturizer and then put a benzoil peroxide cream on the area and usually they clear right up. If you know that they tend to come back in the same spot, you can put the cream on even if you don't see them and they shouldn't pop back up.

Good luck =)

Thanks for the responses.

Hmm, well I looked up some pictures of Milia...It's al ittle different in mine in that they actually have a whitehead that you can visibly see. I guess I was wrong when I said white bumps, because those bumps on Milia look exactly like mine except they actually do have that visible white head. My bumps are pretty much the same color as my skin, and don't look to be poppable.

I have tried benzoyl peroxide on it, and it didn't really do much. It seemed to kind of freeze my skin overnight, but didn't get rid of the little bumps i just didnt get more.

Truthfully, since i have been examining them, it seems as if only more come and that the same ones that were there from the beginning are still there.

They are spreading now too...I need to find out exaclty what it is

Those are most likely closed comedones.

It could possibly be a fungal infection (much less likely but fungal infections do mimic closed comedones). Fungal infections respond nicely to different types of anti-dandruff shampoos. I myself have used Selsun Blue with success. Other people like Nizoral, still others like Head and Shoulders. I wouldn't go for those first, I'd try some of the techniques below before you try the anti-dandruff shampoo as there are risks of allergies involved in those dandruff shampoos! Allergies aren't as common with the topicals/techniques below. NEVER leave the shampoo on the skin for more than 2 minutes and always rinse it completely off!

Folliculitis is another possibility, and again, the anti-dandruff shampoos can work for folliculitis. Those bumps do not have the appearance of folliculitis though. And I have to say, I am not a doctor, I cannot diagnose. I am only giving an educated guess as an RN.

This is a regimen specifically targeting non-inflamed acne, developed by a successful esthetician

You might also read Clearing pores, getting rid of tiny bumps.

Non-inflamed acne is frequently considered more difficult to treat than inflamed acne; it doesn't respond as quickly as inflammatory acne can to products that kill the infection and redness and inflammation of inflammatory acne. Non-inflamed acne benefits greatly from gentle mechanical or chemical (or both) exfoliation. The exfoliation gently helps unclog pores. It does take time and there's no quick fix. It may also take experimentation to find the product combination that works for you.

The things I myself like for chemical exfoliation include: glycolic acid, topical retinoids, and salicylic acid.

For mechanical exfoliation: a spinning toothbrush (yes, this also feels nice and massaging!), a baby's hair brush or a facial brush.