Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mybo

Solutions for women over 25

I have a sneaking suspicion that what may be good solutions for men's acne, may not be appropriate for women's. So here is a women only thread where we can write out our solutions.

It would be helpful to list your experiences with the best one at the top.

Here's my experience:

Accutane: ---Worked completely for 3 -4 years

minomycin antibiotic: ---Worked excellently but I had 1 zit come every 2 weeks or so

omega 3 (DHA/EPA combo): ---Didnt do a damn thing when I stopped the antibiotics.

Niacin (included among B complex caps): ---Broke out like 4th july when I stopped antibiotics

zinc: ---No noticeable effect

changed shampoo: ---Zits around my temples disappeared :)

complete diet change: ---Didnt try it. Too much effort, too much research to absorb.

Complete caffeine avoidance: ---No effect

About the caffeine..

A: makes breasts hurt, especially a lot of caffeine.

B: if I have more than 2 cups, I break out more than usual (double?)

C: if I cut out caffeine completely, its no better than if I drink only 1 cup per 3 days.

birth control: Id rather avoid it. havent tried.

Im especially interested if any women have had success with food regimens.

Hi there, I'm now 33yrs old. I don't get inflamed acne anymore since I jacked in the sugar and refined carbs. Dairy and fatty foods don't effect me, thank god!, unlike a lot of people.

I eat clean approx 80%-90% of the time, for general good health, as well as the skin effects. This, and taking Agnus Castus, which helps balance hormones ( female ) has really helped no end. Oh....and trying not to touch my face/pick has had a real beneficial impact for me.

Currently I'm just battling the blocked pores and sml bumps under the surface. Got told my skin is dehydrated and congested from using too many products, and unsuitable ones at that. Gonna go for a consultation with a beauty therapist, she'll be able to analyse my skin better than me and then advise me on some bespoke skincare, rather than me just plodding along, picking random items off the shelf.

There's too much trial and error involved, in my opinion, and who has endless time and money to waste? I'd always advise seeking the guidance of a professional, whether that be doctor or beautician. I wouldn't even rule out homeopathy or other alternative therapy. As long as it's someone who has experience in dealing with skin problems. Much easier than going it alone.

hi mybo. what a great idea! i agree with you that many solutions to solving this acne problem are different for men and women, especially when you factor in a woman's hormones and monthly cycle.

for me, my problems with acne started about 18 months ago. then my PMS symptoms started to worsen not long after, including extreme moodiness, depression, bloating, and painful tender breast. so i knew something was not quite right. i had a total hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) about 3 years ago. so i suspected my hormone levels were off. i started taking Vitex (chaste tree berry), about 4 months ago. what an improvement it has been for me! :dance: my acne is almost gone, still get some smaller pimples around the end of my cycle, and my PMS symptoms have greatly improved. no more moodiness or depression, less bloating, and the breast tenderness is not as painful.

so, long story short, for me, the things that have worked best are vitex, jojoba oil, AHA lotion, washing face once a day at night with mild cleanser and only warm water in AM, and eliminating most dairy intake (occasionally will eat cheese). i am taking other supplements, but i am not sure how much they have helped. they include fish oil, zinc, b complex, magnesium, calcium, and vit d.

Spironolactone is the only thing that has worked for me long term and I've tried just about everything else over the years.

I'm 39 y/o and have had cystic acne on and off due to hormones since age 14.

Current regimen that is FINALLY working:

Spiro 100mg a day

Aczone topical gel applied 2x day

Organic dairy (try to eat nothing injected with hormones)

Exfoliate with Clean and Clear deep exfoliating scrub 3 times a week

Avon Anew Glycolic retexturizing peel (helps fade leftover red marks)

Hope that helps

Sometimes super rich antioxidants food helps us with this. A lot of the biomedicine just carries way too much side effects.

I've heard from many doctors that this glutathione supplement is gaining a lot of momentum in holistic healing practices. check it out for yourself. let me know if you have any questions

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

Good luck treating your acne..

Edited by Wynne

Hi... i'm 28 from kuwait

What finally worked for me :

not using anything at all ..... just washing with water in the morning .. and sometimes i don't hehehehe :)))) <-------- lazy but happy that everything is alright now !!!!...... and dont use any cream at all .. your skin will be bad for about two weeks or so but no new acne ..it will stop , skin very dry and will start to flake ...very hard to smile :)

then after that everything will be different your skin will be normal and clear and very soft like a baby skin no need for any producte or creams .. i dont use any cream now because i don't use a face wash that dry my face or any saop ..and i dont need foundation to cover my acne anymore.

just leave your skin alone don't put anything on it .

sorry for my bad english ....

Edited by zaizafoon

I have a sneaking suspicion that what may be good solutions for men's acne, may not be appropriate for women's. So here is a women only thread where we can write out our solutions.

It would be helpful to list your experiences with the best one at the top.

Here's my experience:

Accutane: ---Worked completely for 3 -4 years

minomycin antibiotic: ---Worked excellently but I had 1 zit come every 2 weeks or so

omega 3 (DHA/EPA combo): ---Didnt do a damn thing when I stopped the antibiotics.

Niacin (included among B complex caps): ---Broke out like 4th july when I stopped antibiotics

zinc: ---No noticeable effect

changed shampoo: ---Zits around my temples disappeared :)

complete diet change: ---Didnt try it. Too much effort, too much research to absorb.

Complete caffeine avoidance: ---No effect

About the caffeine..

A: makes breasts hurt, especially a lot of caffeine.

B: if I have more than 2 cups, I break out more than usual (double?)

C: if I cut out caffeine completely, its no better than if I drink only 1 cup per 3 days.

birth control: Id rather avoid it. havent tried.

Im especially interested if any women have had success with food regimens.

Check out my signature. I have totally clear skin. I'm 26 and have had acne since I was 12. Tried Erythromycin topical, Erythromycin oral, Minocycline, Doxycycline, Tetracycline, Cindamycin, Benzaclin, Retin-A, Retin-A micro, Differin, Tazorac, and Accutane. Only Accutane worked, but acne came back (though not as bad) after 3 years. My regimen works perfectly now, and I love it.

In case you care, I do eat a good diet, I don't eat out at all because I can't afford it; and I don't eat bread or white pasta, and I only eat limited wheat products. Meat once a week if at all. I'm double-dosing on fish oil and I take a multivitamin, but those are the only supplements, and the fish oil is really for depression, not for my skin.

Hi, I'm Dee,

Nice thread idea. I'm 36. I've tried everything...

Best results have been from using red/blue light, & a combo of glycolic acid/salicylic acid... I use Paula's choice products because they're inexpensive, & work... Recently switched from 2% BHA (salicylic) to a 1% due to dry(from products) aging skin. Also found a less than 8 0r 10% glycolic as that is a bit strong now too. But, both the 2% salicylic, & 8% glycolic would've worked great for me at age 25. (I'm very oily skinned)

I did eliminate almost all white pasta from my diet. But, for me, that has more to do with inflammation due to arthritis. I do eat white basmati rice, & spaghetti squash in place of much missed pasta. ;)

Best of luck to you in your quest!

Edited by ~ Dee

Supplements in the form of Vitex (Agnus Castus) and Evening Primrose Oil helped me the most. I have a sneaking suspicion that my acne is hormonal. It didn't show up hardcore until after I stopped nursing my son.

I have tried ProActiv, Murad, some prescription creme which was awful and made my face burn, and of course everything you can buy at the grocery store.

I tried ditching sugar, carbs, fruits, soy, caffeine- I lived on vegetables and water for a week and nothing!

Then I thought I was allergic to something in my make up so I tried a bunch of different kinds (mica-free, talc-free etc.) Still broke out.

Since I started taking Vitex and EPO my acne is clearing up. I really attribute this to the EPO. Diet seems to have little effect on me as long as I don't go crazy on sugar.

I also take a multi, vitamin B, C, Calcium and Zinc daily.

I tried ditching sugar, carbs, fruits, soy, caffeine- I lived on vegetables and water for a week and nothing!

A week is not enough time. And you don't need to ditch any of it except in the cases of foods you may have an intolerance for. You need to have only dietary habits that keep blood sugar stable so it does respond be releasing excessive amounts of insulin which is a master hormone that stimulates other hormones including the hormones that cause acne. And in a week, the most you would see is a reduction in oil production and your acne may become less inflamed provided you aren't countering the benefit of reduced insulin with other inflammatory foods.

It's great that changing your diet worked for you. I agree that diet can have an impact on how our skin looks but it seems to not be the cure to my acne.

I have tried not eating dairy or soy or other potential "triggers" for MUCH longer than a week. The vegetables thing was just an example. You don't need to come on here with this holier than thou attitude towards everyone (I have seen some of your posts in other threads). Again, great that it worked for you. It doesn't mean it will for everyone.

I am just responding to the OP's question. The supplements I have mentioned have almost cleared me. This is what works for ME.

Hi, I'm Dee,

Nice thread idea. I'm 36. I've tried everything...

Best results have been from using red/blue light, & a combo of glycolic acid/salicylic acid... I use Paula's choice products because they're inexpensive, & work... Recently switched from 2% BHA (salicylic) to a 1% due to dry(from products) aging skin. Also found a less than 8 0r 10% glycolic as that is a bit strong now too. But, both the 2% salicylic, & 8% glycolic would've worked great for me at age 25. (I'm very oily skinned)

I did eliminate almost all white pasta from my diet. But, for me, that has more to do with inflammation due to arthritis. I do eat white basmati rice, & spaghetti squash in place of much missed pasta. ;)

Best of luck to you in your quest!

Hi. .just wondering what exactly you used for the red/blue light. I researched different acne lamps, and they had reviews for the beautyskin lamp on here. .but only 10 reviews. I've also been using the 10% aha lotion from this website, been alternating that with the peter thomas roth aha/bha acne clearing serum. Oh, and have eliminated processed food. .eat wild rice with fish a couple times of week, lots of fruits and veggies, nuts instead of chips, but still am breaking out. No sodas, little added sugar. Even switched shampoos to ones without lauryl sulfates in them. I don't exercise with makeup on, either, nor do I touch my face, or pick, either. I don't get it. Also, I know it's hereditary, but there has to be something to help with this! And I've been on accutane twice, and not going back to that! By the way, I'm a 33 year old female.

You may not want to overlook the possibility of it being hormonal.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd probably buy from a different company. But, I got results from the beautyskin lamp, & acne lamp... But, feel that acnelamp is a bit too small.

I just bought red led bulbs from this company. -> http://www.light-therapy-led.com/products.htm

(the round led bulbs are about the size of a handheld, just to give you an idea)

But, I'd do research and poke around.

I know some folks on the forum have bought this one.-

http://www.caribbeansunbox.com/purplesunbox.htm

I would opt for led lights because they use less energy and last longer...

Good luck!

You don't need to come on here with this holier than thou attitude towards everyone (I have seen some of your posts in other threads).

Why do people react to all mentions of the many roles of diet and acne like this? I have never once made any post remotely 'holier than thou.' I am trying to help people and only share information. The OP asked about diet. In fact, she said she was especially interested in women who had success with food regimens.

And it is not possible for diet to not effect your acne as it effects every function in your body, whether or not you managed to figure out what you need to do to clear your skin. And there are numerous of such functions going on that lead to acne. Neither soy or dairy are major factors in my acne, therefore avoiding them wouldn't provide results for me either, no matter how long I avoided them.

And yeah, it is great that my diet cleared my skin. It was quite easy, actually, involving very simple changes. I'd say I was lucky except for the part where I had to suffer from acne for 30 years because people told me that diet had nothing to do with acne. I don't want other people to go through that.

Why do people react to all mentions of the many roles of diet and acne like this? I have never once made any post remotely 'holier than thou.' I am trying to help people and only share information.

It's not the fact that you claim that diet can help with acne. I totally agree with you. The reason I said "holier than thou" because of what I read in some of your other posts you make it seem like there is no solution other than "your way." If it was really that simple, nobody would have acne, and you would be rich beyond belief. You may be a very nice person; I just don't feel you come across that way. To me you are not helpful but rather patronizing.

The OP did ask about diet, but the way you answered the OP's question was by picking MY reply apart. I guess I don't see how that is helpful.

And it is not possible for diet to not effect your acne as it effects every function in your body, whether or not you managed to figure out what you need to do to clear your skin. And there are numerous of such functions going on that lead to acne. Neither soy or dairy are major factors in my acne, therefore avoiding them wouldn't provide results for me either, no matter how long I avoided them.

I avoided these things to see if maybe they are triggers. I eat very healthy regardless-I have been a vegetarian for a long time and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I eat organic whenever possible and avoid overly processed foods. I exercise everyday and take my vitamins. Oddly enough I did find out that one of my triggers seems to be soymilk. I only had to cut this out of my diet for a week or so to see improvement in my skin, even though you claim that's not possible.

However, the bulk of my acne seems to be related to hormones, which is why I'm glad I found out about the evening primrose oil which seems to be helping me out a ton.

Why do people react to all mentions of the many roles of diet and acne like this? I have never once made any post remotely 'holier than thou.' I am trying to help people and only share information.

It's not the fact that you claim that diet can help with acne. I totally agree with you. The reason I said "holier than thou" because of what I read in some of your other posts you make it seem like there is no solution other than "your way." If it was really that simple, nobody would have acne, and you would be rich beyond belief. You may be a very nice person; I just don't feel you come across that way. To me you are not helpful but rather patronizing.

The OP did ask about diet, but the way you answered the OP's question was by picking MY reply apart. I guess I don't see how that is helpful.

I avoided these things to see if maybe they are triggers. I eat very healthy regardless-I have been a vegetarian for a long time and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I eat organic whenever possible and avoid overly processed foods. I exercise everyday and take my vitamins. Oddly enough I did find out that one of my triggers seems to be soymilk. I only had to cut this out of my diet for a week or so to see improvement in my skin, even though you claim that's not possible.

However, the bulk of my acne seems to be related to hormones, which is why I'm glad I found out about the evening primrose oil which seems to be helping me out a ton.

OMG. I've never made any post that in anyway suggested my way is the only way. In fact, I've gathered into threads and shared a great deal information that has absolutely nothing to do with my acne or 'my way'.

And I did not 'pick apart' your thread. I shared information. I'm sorry you chose to take it that way. But your experience as you described it in no way demonstrates that your diet is not affecting your acne. It only shows that what you've tried has not cleared your skin.

I'm 28 and have been suffering from acne since I was about 13.

I'm at the point where I'm getting really desperate, to be honest; I'm depressed about it and it's interfering with my day-to-day activities.

I was prescribed Diane-35 birth control when I was about 19 and that eventually (like after 1 - 2 years) seemed to help, although I would still get a monthly breakout/some cystic acne. I was on that pill for a very long time and then Fall 2008 I switched to Alesse. It was ok for a couple of months and then got extremely bad, so in May 2009 I was prescribed Yaz.

So far the Yaz does not seem to be working very well. I use topical lotions as well but they don't do much.

I started a routine of Rooibos tea after reading about it here. I'm only drinking about 4 cups a day and have not noticed a difference yet.

I'd really like to make some diet changes, although I don't believe I currently eat a poor diet. I don't like taking the pill because of its side effects but I don't know how I can get off of it. Does anyone know if it's safe to take supplements like vitex or primrose oil if your hormones are already being impacted by the pill?

This is a good thread, by the way. Very informative.

ladies, please, i think that mybo has a great idea to start a thread that is specific for us women and as a place to come to look for information that will specifically help us. let's not bicker and argue. :naughty: i would like to see this as a neutral place where we can come and share our ideas and experiences. i hope others will continue to come here and post their experiences.

l'eremita, as to your question about vitex and BC, as far as i understand, it is not a good idea to take vitex while taking a BC pill.

l'eremita, as to your question about vitex and BC, as far as i understand, it is not a good idea to take vitex while taking a BC pill.

Thanks for the response! I will just continue with fish oil and vitamin e supplements for now. But when I stop the pill, which I am resolved to do at some point in the near future, I will definitely take it to help ease the transition. I've heard it's nightmarish both for those acne-prone and those who've always been clear.

Hi, Mybo. In my case I tried all sorts of things over a 12 year period: topicals, sunshine, birth control, supplements, diet changes, antibiotics, and then finally Accutane. Accutane has worked the best so far, but I'm still having to use topicals to keep clogged pores in check. Take care. :)

From what I understand prolonged caffiene ups your stress hormones, which makes your hair folicles make more sebum, which clogs your pores more. I've also read... somewhere... that these effects can take awhile I go away, because you have to get all those hormones back in line. I've read that high sugar diets do the same thing.

Something that I didn't see on your list was salt.

I should probably mention that I'm 29 and have very sensitive skin. I've tried a lot of stuff and I just can't seem to get rid of the acne around my chin and jaw.

I've been trying salt for the past 2 weeks and it has been promising. I think I would be further along except I picked the other night, so I'm a little red. I've read that you have to use sea salt, but that's bunk. Sodium Chloride is sodium chloride, just buy some table salt that is non-iodinized. I've also read that some people use it as a steam, which I don't see how that works, salt doesn't evaporate.

Here's my routine:

Morning:

cetaphil face wash + salt to gently scrub

moisturize

makeup

Evening:

cetaphil face wash + salt to gently scrub

Aveeno clear completion cream cleanser

moisturize

salt-water solution to pimple, allow to dry and stay over night.

Twice week:

Salt and honey mask

I have very sensitive skin, most things cause it to be red and burn, then peel like crazy. With this regimen I have no burning and no peeling. The salt scrub leaves my skin very smooth and not red at all.

Edited by Alona

What salt scrub are you using, or what kind of salt?

Table salt has iodine in it, & I have read that it can cause breakouts?

I have used sea salt before, but haven't for a long time...

You've made me curious. :eh:

I use non-iodinized table salt, you can buy it at the store (next to the iodinized salt). It's the same price, I got a huge bottle for $0.51. You can also buy sea salt in the same section, it's about $2. I would use either kind, but don't use iodinized salt.

I like the finely ground salt and use it as a gentle scrub. You have to be gentle with it though. If you have any open spots it will burn, but after a couple of days as your skin heals that should stop. It won't work for everyone, but it might work where other stuff has failed :)