Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interesting article. In 2008 a clinical study was performed by the Utrecht University Medical Center in the Netherlands. A probiotic agent containing different species of bacteria has caused several deaths in this trial. 24 patients died after receiving the probiotics to treat acute pancreatitis. In the placebo group "only" 9 patients died. As far as I know it's still unknown why this happened. For the record: healthy people with a properly functioning digestive system should have no problems with probiotics.

Interesting article. In 2008 a clinical study was performed by the Utrecht University Medical Center in the Netherlands. A probiotic agent containing different species of bacteria has caused several deaths in this trial. 24 patients died after receiving the probiotics to treat acute pancreatitis. In the placebo group "only" 9 patients died. As far as I know it's still unknown why this happened. For the record: healthy people with a properly functioning digestive system should have no problems with probiotics.

i did hear about that study, i wonder why that happended??

Yeah, everybody's still wondering why it happened. For now probiotics are banned from the intensive care departments. The bowels of the dead patients were perforated somehow, because of the use of probiotics. It's a mystery.

Yeah, everybody's still wondering why it happened. For now probiotics are banned from the intensive care departments. The bowels of the dead patients were perforated somehow, because of the use of probiotics. It's a mystery.

the probiotics also could have been contaminated in some way. it doesnt necessarily mean that they did this by themselves. In all likelihood, it doesnt seem this would be because of probiotics, but i guess even stuff like protein ive heard can be bad for someone who's liver is seriously compromised, something that would not ever harm a person in normal health, so it could be one of those types of circumstances, im not sure this study should actually raise any flags for the use of probiotics, but i wouldnt say it is totally insignifcant information to be documented either.

the probiotics also could have been contaminated in some way. it doesnt necessarily mean that they did this by themselves. In all likelihood, it doesnt seem this would be because of probiotics, but i guess even stuff like protein ive heard can be bad for someone who's liver is seriously compromised, something that would not ever harm a person in normal health, so it could be one of those types of circumstances, im not sure this study should actually raise any flags for the use of probiotics, but i wouldnt say it is totally insignifcant information to be documented either.

You would think so. But the probiotics were as clean as they get. Not surprisingly, since the study was supervised by a University Hospital and performed in several hospitals throughout the country. But I agree that things can go wrong anywhere, even in controlled environments. In this case however it was not contamination. It may have had something to do with poor blood circulation in the bowels, as far as I understand that's a common symptom for patients with acute pancreatitis. That's where the focus is on right now. We'll just wait and see. Eventually some genius will find out exactly what went wrong. The report is available, doctors all over the world are (and have been) looking into it. Indeed, as long as you're in good health you probably have nothing to fear from probiotics. The purpose of the study was to see if sick people could benefit from probiotics. Well, not people with acute pancreatitis apparently. There's still a lot to be learned.