Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yaqz

Adding Zinc to my Regimen

Okay so I heard a lotta good things about zinc, so decided to give it a try

Got some zinium, this is what is contains

Zinc Picolinate (50mg which is equivalent to 9.51 mg Elemental zinc)

Selenium 20ug

Vitamin E 15iu

The box says to take three daily, but my brother tells me one is enough (he's not a doctor but is a graduate student in medicine), should I go with the box or listen to him =/ Thanks.

Since one pill contains less than 10mg of zinc, you're unlikely to hurt yourself taking three a day, though your brother's recommendation is more in line with current guesses about zinc requirements.

IMO, the exact mechanism by which large-dose zinc sometimes helps some people is by increasing the amount of superoxide dismutase that can be turned into the anti-oxidant zinc superoxide dismutase, which can suppress the inflammatory stage of the acne. I believe the real problem is that an impaired melatonin cycle (melatonin stimulates cells to create superoxide dismutase every night) fails to create enough superoxide dismutase in the first place. Fixing the melatonin cycle can both remove the need to flood the body with zinc to try to make up for insufficient superoxide dismutase, and also address the pre-inflammatory stage of acne, since melatonin both slows down cell division and is anti-androgenic.

In any case, it is a fact that zinc is one of the most-studied treatments for acne and has always been shown to produce just mild statistical improvements. A few lucky people find that zinc is close to a cure, but the vast majority will not get clear if taking a zinc pill is the only thing they change.

Gee thanks a lot! I never even knew melatonin was related to inflamatory acne, only thought it was related to cell cycle. I think i'll go with two a day and try to get the rest of my zinc from food. Is there melatonin supplements? Thanks again.

Take half of his side and half of the box,

Go with 2 times a day lOl

Just don't go over 50mg of zinc.

You should keep this thread posted, with your experience with the zinc supplement.

I notice your on DKR too, and I'm eager to add zinc as a part of my regimen.

I take 50mg of zinc daily, at first I started with just 25mg's and wuite honestly I was on the regiemn and my face was almost clear for like a week, then boom! back with the acne bat, now I am on Benzaclin and Tazorac (just applied for first time like 15 minutes ago lol) I am liking the Benzaclin but not sure about the Tazorac, but yeah 50mg's top daily I don't see an improvement in my skin but if I stop I'm afraid it may get worse lol

Well its been 3 days with taking 2 pills of the zinc along with omega and multivitamins, havent really noticed a difference yet but will keep you guys posted !

Well its been 3 days with taking 2 pills of the zinc along with omega and multivitamins, havent really noticed a difference yet but will keep you guys posted !

it will take a while to see some results with zinc. Probably at least 3 months