Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tenenbaum

Is two pumps necessary?

Some people have smaller/larger faces, but I'm not sure on mine compared to Dans.

I've been on the full regimen with dans products for 2 months now, and I can't seem to get past 1 full pump of BP without my skin actually becoming extremely flaky and very very red. I use jojoba oil, and such. But it never goes away.

Tonight after I washed my face with the cleanser, I noticed a large amount of dryness and flaky skin around my mouth/chin area. I then applied 1 pump plus a little more BP to my face. Take note, I apply almost half a pump or more to my forehead, as it can handle it easily, and that is where my acne was the worst.

But around the areas such as my chin and mouth, I can't put much at all without running into a severe problem.

My real question is, does it matter that these side effects are happening? Should I just continue?

If it does my skin better to just continue, I can handle it mentally no problem.

I'll put pictures up tomorrow after I wake up and cleanse, to get an idea of whats going on.

My skin is actually looking even burnt, sort of like turning light brown in color in some spots, and it almost feels sunburned when I put it on my face.

Any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

P.S. I also have AHA, but I can't figure out if I'm supposed to use it without my moisturizer or with it. After I apply it without moisturizer, it seems like my skin is going to be extremely dry, much worse.

I also didn't jump into the regimen, I've been working my way up slowly to one pump, but everytime I increase just by such a small amount, my skin gets extremely dry.

You use AHA in the place of your moisturizer.

It takes some people a long time to work up to 2 full pumps.

Dan says to increase it every week, but for thosewho aren't ready can prolong it.

If your getting a lot of dryness at 1 full pump than continue doing 1 pump until your skin gets more accustomed to it. Maybe increase it by 1/4 more in two weeks to a month. There are people who takes up to 4-6 months to adjust up the full dosage.

If you go too fast you might have the risk of starting it all over, so keep it.

Use cetaphil, very good moisturizer.

Dans moisturizer gets skin red so that may be the problem if you have red skin and uses his lotion.

Actually, there are people who can get clear 100% of the time with only 1 pump of BP(cest la vigne)

maybe once your skin adjusts more than you won't get anymore breakouts and get totally clear, but if our skin no longer dries much from it and you still get a few whiteheads, bump up the dosage.

-from iPhone

Edited by Thanh

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think I should possibly stop the BP for a couple days and nights to let my skin rest? Its in pretty bad condition, the areas I was speaking of are really red and almost look like they have burnt spots.

I know I am not allergic because I can apply almost half to 3/4ths a pump on my forehead and it never flakes or gets dry.

I just spent 100$ on the full 16 oz kit from dan with shipping, should I just toss the moisturizer and order some Complex 15 or Cetaphil?

:think:

Thanks!

And also, can "ceste la vigne" confirm that?

Edited by Tenenbaum

two full pumps for the WHOLE face.

I emailed brandy, cuz I only do regimen on cheeks, jawline, and chin, and she says 1 pump should be fine.

two full pumps for the WHOLE face.

I emailed brandy, cuz I only do regimen on cheeks, jawline, and chin, and she says 1 pump should be fine.

I apply it to my whole face.

It'd be great if I could get a reply to my second post, just in-case no one will see it after these posts.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

i wouldnt toss the moisturizer. I would recommend u get cetpahil ultra hydrolyzing lotion. It's non-comedogenic, my derm recommended it for me for my acne a while back. It'll beat any kinda of redness, irritation, stinging, flakiness, w/e. Trust me lol. It doesn't shine, it's not greasy at all, it's affordable lol. But, once your skin is totally accustomed to the bp, then use dan's moisturizer. I mean, it's a good moisturizer, just not as moisturizing as cetaphil.

When I first started using the regimen I would use about 2 pumps during the day and at night and that usually kept me free of acne. Later I realized that I really don't need that much to have clear skin, so I've cut back to only 1 pump at night and topical SA gel in the day and still kept clear skin.

Is there a difference from...

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...amp;catid=10400

and

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...amp;catid=21503

The only difference in the two creams above is Propylene Glycol, is it really worth the extra ~13$ or so per 8OZ of cream? What is propylene glycol and is it beneficial?

And is there a difference from...

and

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...amp;catid=10394

and

And can I use the Complex 15 in the day? And use the Cetaphil at night? I read that some people do this because Cetaphil is much more greasy looking, but more moisturizing?

A response on this would be great, I want to go ahead and order it while I can, thanks guys.

Edited by Tenenbaum

Thanh is almost right. I only use half a pump, and only at night, and that's enough to keep me clear. I'm pretty lucky in that respect. There are plenty of people that need to use the full two pumps, twice a day. It's all about finding what works for you.

I know you're having a hard time with increasing your dosage. How's your acne at the dose you're at now? Does it seem to be clearing up?

Like Thanh said, you might want to just stick to one pump for the time being. If your skin can't handle any more than that, your skin can't handle any more than that. Don't push it. Just stay where you are, and let your skin adjust.

Since you've been on The Regimen for two months, you could add in the AHA, which would probably help with the flakiness, but if your skin is irritated as well as flaky, I'd hold off. AHA is pretty strong, and could be too harsh if your skin is already irritated.

Thanh is almost right. I only use half a pump, and only at night, and that's enough to keep me clear. I'm pretty lucky in that respect. There are plenty of people that need to use the full two pumps, twice a day. It's all about finding what works for you.

I know you're having a hard time with increasing your dosage. How's your acne at the dose you're at now? Does it seem to be clearing up?

Like Thanh said, you might want to just stick to one pump for the time being. If your skin can't handle any more than that, your skin can't handle any more than that. Don't push it. Just stay where you are, and let your skin adjust.

Since you've been on The Regimen for two months, you could add in the AHA, which would probably help with the flakiness, but if your skin is irritated as well as flaky, I'd hold off. AHA is pretty strong, and could be too harsh if your skin is already irritated.

Alright, I appreciate the help c'est.

When I was using 1 pump (Half of that to my forehead alone), it seems like I went through a purging process on my forehead, where as the rest of my face just sort of cleared up, and I haven't had any active acne on my chin/mouth area since, so I think its possible to just use one full pump.

My skin is in terrible condition and I'm going to give it a couple days to rest without BP, then start over with 1/2 a pump, then move back up.

I truly appreciate your answer, it helped a lot.

As for the other moisturizers, does anyone have a response on that? I'd like to go ahead and order them both, but I don't know the difference between the two, other then the ingredients, so if anyone has any idea at all, on the difference between the two, it will be appreciated also.

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Tenenbaum

Well, I hope it works out and that your skin feels better. Keep us all updated, okay? : )

I certainly will, I hope it works out also.

Thank you.

Can anyone vouch for this moisturizer over the ones I posted above?

I want to use the cetaphil at night and the complex 15 during the day, though, I'm not sure if I should order the cream or the face lotion (Complex 15), and I'm not sure which of the 3 I should order for the cetaphil, I have read that the cream 16oz is better, but I have never heard of the one David is suggesting.

So can anyone shed some light on this?

Much appreciated, once again.

it's actually very popular. you can find it anywhere in stores. Dermatologist gave me a bottle telling me to use it. And I have moderate acne. Yeah, it won't break you, my skin is soooo prone to acne. If i touch my face at one spot, I can almost guarantee there will be a pimple there the next day (slight exagerration).

What type does c'est use? I'm going to use the same kind she uses at night, unless someone else can shed some light on the one david uses.

I'm still kind of iffy on it, seeing as I've never heard of it, and can't find anything on the forums about it.

Cream or lotion at night?

The one david is suggesting or a different one?

I honestly don't care how it feels or looks, I will substitute the days where I need to go out with complex 15 face lotion.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by Tenenbaum

I've tried using one full pump, but it really makes my skin red. I actually pump a tiny amount at a time. First, I spread one 3/4 pea sized amount on my chin, one pea-sized amount per cheek, one and 1/2 pea-sized amount on my forehead. For the record, I have a small face, but my skin is just very sensitive to Dan's BP. I can tolerate more of the Neutrogena On-the-Spot, but I switched to Dan's because 1) Dan's BP does not contain parabens and 2) Dan's BP is much more economical. However, I've learned that phenoxyethanol, which is the preservative in Dan's BP, is a known irritant (though not as toxic as methylparaben, which is in On the Spot), which may explain why people can tolerate only so much of Dan's BP. Like some, fortunately, a smaller amount of Dan's BP is keeping me 95 to 99% clear.

What type does c'est use? I'm going to use the same kind she uses at night, unless someone else can shed some light on the one david uses.

I'm still kind of iffy on it, seeing as I've never heard of it, and can't find anything on the forums about it.

Cream or lotion at night?

The one david is suggesting or a different one?

I honestly don't care how it feels or looks, I will substitute the days where I need to go out with complex 15 face lotion.

Thanks everyone.

We're talking about lotion now? I use Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion.

the cream is thicker than the lotion. All up to you.

I'm sorry, but I always have to double check.

Are you sure that the only difference between the two is the thickness of the cream?

does the soap on the regimen lather well?

Yes it does lather well.

Its usually not suggested to go into others topics to ask a question, if you have a question of your own, you should make a new post.

As I stated above though, david, are you sure that the only difference between the two is the thickness?

Thanks!

Edited by Tenenbaum

Blah... Sorry I didn't help you answer some of your questions sooner, just got back from work.

Well tenenbaum,

Complex 15 is actually a pretty good moisturizer but. Nothing beats a whoping 16oz bottle of cetaphil moisturizing lotion.

It's cheaper for double the 8oz :). Try and mix some jojoba oil with it, it will be easier to apply.

I doubt there would be any need for complex 15, using one kind of moisturizer would be the best way to go.

Did I mention how good Cetaphil is? Huh? Lol.

The hospital in which I went to for a checkup had loads of this available at the pharmacy downstairs and at the dermatology office.

Edit: if your skin isn't so dry at the moment just stay using the same amount, but if you really want to stay on the safe side, wait a couple days, using 1/2 pumps with cetaphil.

Give it about a good 2 weeks maybe longer for your skin to build some resistance to dyness.

After, proceed to 3/4 for another week.

Baby steps lead to a better outcome.

Edited by Thanh