Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone

I have not visited nor posted on the board for a good while. In the meantime, my acne has cleared up to the point where I am confident in saying I have it 97% under control. I want to share my story with everybody in hopes that this post may help somebody else.

To begin, I have had mild acne since I was young but never paid much attention to it. It was just the minor acne that teenagers get. Like everybody else, I rushed out to the dermatologist to get prescription cream differin, which did no good. Anyway, after the differin did nothing, I sort of just let my acne go. Around my freshman year of college I began to use proactiv. This product worked wonderfully for about a year or so. Then finally between the summer of my sophomore and junior year of college, my face began to really break out. It was a horrible experience. I never had to deal with acne being this bad in my life. It ultimately assisted in ruining a relationship I had with a girl because I just lost all confidence in myself. I began to use the proactiv liberally, in hopes that I would clear up. I should mention that at this point in my life, I paid very little attention to my diet and stuff, however, I have always been an active individual in sports and keeping myself in shape. Anyway, the proactiv just stopped working. I was at a loss, I had no idea what to do. I remember that fall semester of college was horrible for me. I was just breaking out all the time and I felt lost. I also had no idea about acne.org forums at this point either.

Finally toward the end of the semester close to Christmas break, I mustered up the balls to take matters into my own hands and start doing some research on the internet. I ran across an ebook titled "Mr X Acne" in which I decided to purchase. I read the whole thing from front to back, three or four times over the course of the next month or so. Wow, did that ebook make me realize a completely different approach to treating Acne. To make a long story short, I continue to use a few pointers from this ebook, but I also use things I have picked up here and there, things I have experimented with, and things I have learned from these message boards, and share with you what I do to keep myself clear. Don't worry, I don't use any harsh facial cleansers or stuff like that. I live a normal life, with a few exceptions.

Before I explain what I do to keep me clear, I want to emphasize that this process took me two years to figure out, and I had to try many different things to figure out exactly what works for me. Everybody has a different body, and you must try new things and experiment to figure out exactly what works for you. It honestly is true that what might work for one person will not work for somebody else.

First and foremost, I want to emphasize the green smoothie post. Miss ABG Fairy has done a wonderful job of putting together this thread, giving examples of ways to make these drinks that are delicious and so very healthy for you and your skin. I drink one every single morning for breakfast. And yes, being that I am in college and have roommates this does annoy them, but they get used to it and I just tell them that I am making a protein shake (because I lift). If there is one piece of advice I can tell you to take home with you, these smoothies would be it. I truly believe drinking one of these a day helps keep my skin clear. Now I usually just make the same smoothie everyday since I'm lazy. I buy a bag of mixed frozen fruit from sam's club or wal-mart, fresh bananas, and usually spinach; sometimes I will experiment with different greens but 80% of the time it is spinach. Measure out a handful of frozen fruit, one banana, and fill the rest of the blender with spinach, add water, and blend. Your first one will most likely be too thick or too watery. After doing them for a while you will become an expert. And there is a secret to the green smoothies that ABG Fairy does not mention. I add about two tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) to my smoothies. Believe it or not, you can't even taste it when you are drinking the smoothie. For some reason, EVOO helps to keep me clear. I'm not sure but I believe it works with fish oil, which I will get to later. I also have some EVOO with dinner, everyday. I simply chug it from the bottle and chase it with water. Now, you may think this sounds nasty, but believe it or not, if you buy good quality EVOO it does not taste bad at all, especially when you chase it with water. Like I mentioned with the smoothie, I don't drink too much, maybe about two tablespoons right after I eat. Anyway, getting back to breakfast, I also take two supplements EVERYDAY, TWICE A DAY. These two supplements are Omega 3 Fish Oil from Spring Valley (from Wal-Mart) and MegaMen Sport Multivitamin from GNC. Taking one capsule each (two total) and downing them with the last little bit of my smoothie is what I usually do. I also take these same supplements again after I eat dinner and take down my EVOO.

I want to mention that I shower twice a day, once in the morning and once approximately 12 hours later or after I lift, whichever comes first. As my facial cleanser, I use desert essence thoroughly clean face wash. I cannot say enough good things about this face wash. It is 100% vegan with all natural ingredients; no harsh chemicals and it is PH friendly. I simply keep the bottle in the shower and wash my face in the shower each time I am in the shower, that's it. No other chemicals, moisturizers, etc. As a topical regime, this is all I do.

The only other thing I do is watch my diet. I am not totally strict on my diet, but the big no-no for me is dairy. I have cut out dairy and introduced it back into my diet and I break out. I've finally come to the conclusion that I can't do dairy, which is unfortunate because I love milk. And the catch is that it is milk that breaks me out. If I have a little bit of cheese, I'm fine. Also, I drink whey protein and that also does not make me break out. Weird, but whatever. I also drink as much water throughout the day as I can. I do not drink soda (I call it pop) or coffee. I drink green tea and I also drink alcohol occasionally, which used to affect my acne before but for some strange reason it doesn't anymore. I also try to drink low sodium V8, which is surprisingly tasty after you drink it for a while. But like I said, my diet isn't perfect, but I try to do the best I can when I can. I am finally able to eat sweets here and there without breaking out, which is nice.

Lastly, I want to emphasize the importance of keeping your body in shape and getting the blood flowing. If you don't exercise, please begin. Your body will thank you and you will feel so good afterward. Exercising is all around just good for the body and helps with everything, including acne. Some things I like to do for exercise are lift weights, jog, swim (rarely), martial arts, snowboard, yoga, ride dirt bikes, etc.

In short, this is what I do:

Morning

Green smoothie for breakfast with EVOO

One Fish Oil Capsule and One Multivitamin

Shower and wash face with thoroughly clean face wash

Night

Dinner with EVOO

One Fish Oil Capsule and One Multivitamin

Shower and wash face with thoroughly clean face wash

All day

Pay attention to my diet and exercise when possible

Hope this post helps somebody. Good luck to everybody.

idk if you will ever see this but i started doing the regimen by ndRomeo that was posted a couple years ago and i saw that you did it too. How come you aren't anymore? Obviously you suggest your regimen since you have changed to it. Plus I do work out alot and i take whey protein and eat cottage cheese. Should i eliminate those because its dairy? I'll message you this also.