Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris0422

September 3rd, 2009 Personal Regime

Hey Guys,

I am Chris

My skin was almost perfectly clear, one week ago, and then on Saturday i started feeling a bump under my skin on my chin, i ignored it and hoped that it would go away. However, later on in the week ( Tuesday ) it just killed me how much it hurt, it would hurt to talk and smile. So me being the smart person i am, thought if i popped it, it would relieve the swelling, and make it feel better and heal faster. It didn't pop though, but i sat by the mirror for a good 20 minutes just squeezing it, to the point where this watery *grease* stuff was coming out, so i finally stopped. It looked awful. So the next day i tried not to touch it, and would put a warm towel on it, then i would ice it, and put some differin gel on it and let it rest. Then last night Wed. i put the Pro-active Refining Mask on it. I woke up and it looked still pretty red, and swollen, and was extremely dry. So this morning after i got out of the shower i thought i saw a head to it, and once again i tried to pop it, and was unsuccessful again, but did it for another 20 minutes, to the point where my skin was peeling off. Right now it looks awful, red, and swollen, and hurts a ton... will post pictures a week before and now, a huge huge difference.

I would appreciate any advice people have, please please..

post-111767-1252015690_thumb.jpg

post-111767-1252015718_thumb.jpg

by the way the things on the corners of my mouth, i just had some gel on them to help with the dryness, there is nothing there. Here it goes though starting after i completely destroyed my face.

September 3rd, 2009

Took a shower and used Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub, Then i put on my differin .3% gel. Then destroyed my face.. after that i warmed up a wash cloth and held it on my chin for 5 minutes. Put some neosporin on the "wound" and put a band aid on it. That's about it so far..

My Morning Routine is:

Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub

Differin .3% Gel

Nightly Routine

Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub

Differin .3% Gel

Take Doxycycline Hyclate 50 mg, every other night.

Will then usually put on the Pro-active Refining Mask, to spot treat pimples that are forming..

I am open to change, or something that will help get rid of this, i even skipped class today.. and feel dumb.

This story was almost word-for-word me about three months ago. I was almost clear and tried to pick like you did, and it started a chain of events that has me looking in the mirror at mild-moderate acne right now. Time will heal yours, but the biggest lesson I have for you is to NOT pick under any circumstances. Though some may disagree, a good rule of thumb would be to not pick at all, ever. If you think it's bad enough that you need to pick, call your doctor/dermatologist. Is it not that bad? In that case it might just be to your advantage to leave it alone (use your current incident as evidence).

I know exactly how you feel. The whole band-aid-on-face look isn't exactly in style, and so I've resolved to quit picking entirely. I'm keeping a log next to my mirrors so that I can recognize my self-destructive behavior and when/why it occurs. I'm also using 'habit reversal' techniques. For smokers, this might be like chewing a piece of gum instead of having a cigarette. I clench my fists for a whole minute every time my hands go anywhere near my face to pick, and so far, it's working. I can't stand seeing whiteheads on my face, but they're much easier to cover up than the redness that you get with picking.

Good luck!

thanks for the post man, will def. try and take your advice. Did you do anything that helped it when it was this size, to help bring down the swelling/ pain or just wait it out.

thanks for the post man, will def. try and take your advice. Did you do anything that helped it when it was this size, to help bring down the swelling/ pain or just wait it out.

No problem!

I took 400-600mg (usually 2-3 pills) of ibuprofen (aka Advil/Motrin) every six hours or so. You want to make sure you do this with food since taking too much ibuprofen without eating causes stomach discomfort with some people. I've never had that problem, though.

Besides relieving pain, ibuprofen reduces swelling. Swelling in this case is the result of picking and the cause of your inflammation, and seems to be a kinda snowball effect (in my cases, at least).

I take ibuprofen sometimes for athletic injuries and fevers, where it helps, but I personally think it helps reduce my acne/picking swelling a lot more, since it is so superficial. Not saying it's guaranteed to work for you, but shouldn't hurt to try.

I see you're icing, that's good.

Also, I'd check out stoppickingonme.com . It teaches you all about your skin and why picking harms it so badly, and provides resources to help stop.

I'm working on a sorta log to clear up and stop picking, too. If you wanna support each other my log is here: www.acne.org/messageboard/Mino-Duac-Tretinoin-t247079.html

Hope this helps!

Edited by JustACityBoy

Trying that now, just made some Chicken Noodle Soup haha. All i have had today is a banana and like 6 bottles of water.

Will definitely check that website out, i actually just printed your previous post out and printed the picture of me, and put it on my mirror i think this will help a lot. Thanks again for the encouraging words.

For sure man, will check out your log

Day 2:

Last Night before i went to bed i iced the cyst, and then covered it with neosporin and put a band aid on it. Washed my face as usual with the pore unclogging scrub, and then put differin on it, and moisturized it Vaseline for men's lotion, not sure if i should be doing that or not? Woke up at about 8 o'clock, and took off the band aid and put on Beautiful Face "Clay Masque."

Took a shower and washed off the mask, at 9 am. and used the pore unclogging scrub and differin, and iced it again before school. Put some more lotion on it. Was hard not to pop, cause again i saw a head forming on it but i clenched my fist and fought through it. School was interesting to say the least, i didn't talk to anyone, and had my chin in my hands the whole time so people could not see it, *is that bad?*

My chin is extremely dry, which is also drying out the corners of my mouth

So far that is it though, i am going back home from college tonight for Labor Day, and nervous about my family seeing this on my face, but will help to take a break from school.

Updated pictures

post-111767-1252102230_thumb.jpg

post-111767-1252102234_thumb.jpg

*think the lighting in the second picture makes a huge difference*

You guys see any improvement?

Edited by Chris0422