Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys, my doctor has transferred me to a dermatologist that i go see in afew weeks who will hopefully put my on accutane.

I start a new job in just under 3 weeks though and i want my face to look as clear as possible. At the moment i have one cyst on my forehead and one on my cheek. I also have lots of little spots everywhere else along with my scars.

My doctor has given me retin a 0.01% to use instead of BP which i used for a couple of years. I put the retin a on at night and then in the morning but my face always looks much worse when i first put it on then seems to go oily. I am therefore thinking of just putting it on on a night. The problem is on a morning when i wash my face my skin goes really tight (not always dry, just tight, i'm not sure if this is the same thing). Should i moisturise on a morning?

Also if i do put moisturiser on how will my spots dry out?

I have really really oily skin and through the day i go through so many oil blotting papers!

Thanks in advance

You're only supposed to use Retin a at night, according to the instructions! At night, before bed,

I just stopped using Retin A a week ago. (Was on 0.05% for 3 months) It did nothing for me though. You aren't supposed to use Retin A in the morning. It is only to be used at night. Apply a thin layer to your whole face. (pea sized amount) & I cannot stress enough how important mosturizing is! Put lotion on your face after you wash your face in the morning and when you get out of the shower at night. I use Cetaphil and it works great! & you said your face is super oily. Well, I would avoid using any face washes that have alcohol or acne medication in them because that will irritate your face even more, especially since you are using Retin A.

-Diana

Thank you for the replies!

Do you know of any good moisturisers that will help with my scars? I have some new scars so if i get at them now hopefully they will quickly fade. I have thought of bio oil but that woudnt be any good for my existing spots especially with me having really oily skin. Up to now i have been using clean and clear oil free dual action moisturiser but it doesnt seem to be doing much good for my scarring.

Thanks again

Actually I don't know of any moisturizers that can help with scars. If I knew I would of mentioned it. However, I heard that using lotion with coca butter or vitamin E can help but it takes a long time to see results. I would suggest just asking a dermatologist about it or seeking advice from someone else on these message boards. Also I think that Retin A will just make your acne worse and it may take at least 2-3 months to see improvements. I just started using benzamycin and my scarring is going away. I've only been using it for a week too! It's really a miracle. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I've just been to superdrug and bought some vitamin E moisturiser with SPF15. I also bought some clearasil stay clear daily gel wash, this is to replace the clean and clear that i have used for the past several years which seems to have stopped working. It is oil free and unlike the clean clear it doesnt contain alcohol. I am also goint to start using the panoxyl aqagel 10% at night instead of the retin a. Heres hoping for some quick (and good) results! :)

Hey i used the vitamin e moisturiser with spf15 for the first time earlier today and it made my face look greasy. I then realised that this wasnt oil free so it's probably not the best moisturiser for me.

I've been doin some searching for moisturisers and moisturiser that is oil free, non comedogenic, lotion rather than cream and not containing the ingredients alpha hydroxy acids, retinol, salicylic acid. Also containing spf15 is the best for oily skin like mine. The closest match to this that i have found is NEUTROGENA Oil-Free Moisture SPF 15 Moisturiser. However i live in the UK and this product is only available in the USA. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any moisturisers similar to this in the UK?

Thanks