Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have heard that you should take zinc with a meal, but recently i have heard that you should take zinc gluconate on an empty stomach so that it doesn't affect absorption. What is your guys's opinions about this? Thanks.

Edited by bennyb

ok thanks. Thing is i take it with chromium, but chromium is supposed to be taken with a meal i think. So what should i do about that?

You could always take chromium with a meal and zinc without a meal though. But, if you must take zinc with chromium, then take it all with a meal. I'd just take them separately.

I would suggest taking Zinc on an empty stomach.

If you like vomiting. And then none of it gets absorbed.

Zinc on an empty stomach is an extremely bad idea. Take it with a small meal and water, and your absorption will be fine.

WTF? Seriously take it on a empty stomach?! I forget to take zinc with a meal a couple of times, and it felt like it was ripping my stomach apart.

I agree that taking zinc gluconate on an empty stomach is not the best idea ever. I remember feeling very sick after doing that once, never did it again. For some reason however there are people who apparently don't have this problem or they use another form of zinc (like citrate) that doesn't cause nausea.

Edited by AKL

Doctors focused on getting zinc absorbed (and avoiding have it interfere with other things) may have patients take zinc on an empty stomach just before bedtime (or with a small amount of something like rice cracker if they experience stomach upset). Some people are sensitive to zinc on an empty stomach, or have only tried one particular form of zinc and had a problem with that. Zinc studies on acne used to use zinc sulfate and regularly have problems with intestinal discomfort. Now that there are forms like zinc gluconate and zinc picolinate, you don't see that problem mentioned much anymore. For example, I took about 180mg zinc picolinate on an empty stomach at bedtime for a few weeks without any significant discomfort. YMMV. Wildly.

You probably don't want to regularly take large doses of zinc with your meals, since it has the potential to make the intestine temporarily less willing to digest. The amount you get in a typical multi-vitamin probably won't matter much.

Much remains to learn about getting zinc absorbed or raising zinc levels of any particular form in any particular part of the body...

Edited by databased

If you guys have issues with stomach discomfort and must take it with food, do your best to eat foods that are low in the following (as they are zinc antagonists/inhibitors):

Iron, calcium, phosphorus, selenium, sodium, nickel, tin, copper, Vitamin B1, Vit C, niacin / niacinamide, folic acid, choline, lecithin, alcohol, phytic acid, oxalic acid, [Vitamin A - large amounts]

Note: Calcium is a zinc antagonist at low, or normal phosphorus levels. However, with high phosphorus levels, extra calcium may be required to reduce zinc loss by helping to lower phosphorus levels. This can also be accomplished by adding Vitamin B5.to lower sodium levels.

I got the above info from acu-cell

http://www.acu-cell.com/znk.html

alrite cool. i guess i'll try taking it before bedtime and if i throw up or something then i'll go back to taking it with food.