Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Q_P

Kefir

So I've been having all sorts of fun digestive issues lately on top of fairly bad acne, and am thinking that my gut really needs to do some healing after the two rounds of antibiotics I did several months ago. I'd like to make my own kefir, but I don't know where to start. Does kefir really help with digestion? Would culturing the kefir grains in coconut milk or coconut water produce as much good bacteria as growing them in goat's milk does? I'm still a bit wary of the hormones in dairy.

Well, you'd have to start by buying some grains. I bought some at whole foods and tried it but they didn't multiply. I find making yogurt much easier. I have heard of kefir made inside of green coconuts, but don't know about doing it in purchased coconut water or milk.

So I've been having all sorts of fun digestive issues lately on top of fairly bad acne, and am thinking that my gut really needs to do some healing after the two rounds of antibiotics I did several months ago. I'd like to make my own kefir, but I don't know where to start. Does kefir really help with digestion? Would culturing the kefir grains in coconut milk or coconut water produce as much good bacteria as growing them in goat's milk does? I'm still a bit wary of the hormones in dairy.

You can buy milk that doesn't have hormones to it such as organic cows milk to make your kefir. And the goats milk i've seen has no hormones added.

People use coconut water to make their kefir if they can't tolerate dairy. Eventually, after drinking it for a while they move on to the kefir made of dairy.

You can use a starter to make kefir to begin. Bodyecology.com sells one that I know some people really like.