Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok i am starting to think that my recent breakout on chin due to my green smoothies was from the fruit i had in them mainly banana causing my blood sugar level to be unstable and causing my hormonal acne. I was not having severe inflammed acne before this, and i stopped the green smoothie yesterday and i have not developed any more pimples thus far and the inflammed ones are healing now.

I see that a banana was border-line on the GI level of around 55. I have been eating brown rice pretty much everyday and see that it has about the same GI level as a banana. This is what confused me about my theory of acne. I read that if you have hormonal chin acne like myself, then usually the cause is from instable blood sugar levels. My smoothies contained spinach, kollard, grapes, blueberries, and a banana.

So is a Low-GI diet the way to balance and cure hormonal acne on chin and why would brown rice be ok and not the banana? All these things confuse me and i am trying to finally understand the cause of acne and everytime i see questionable things like this it throws me off.

Also, would someone be kind enough to list all the Low-GI foods for meals or snacks that are succeptable at maintaining a blood sugar/hormonal balance. I am pretty convinced that my acne is hormonal because i only get it on chin and around bottom lip.

Someone help cause i am really confused and am having brown rice again :S with steak and leafy green salad and frozen veggies.

I read that if you have hormonal chin acne like myself, then usually the cause is from instable blood sugar levels.

Do you know where you read that? I'm aware of the claim that 'Chin acne' is a curious type that occurs premenstrually in mature women but have been unable to find any published claim aligned with what you've read (assuming your profile is correct in claiming you're not a premenstrual woman).

why would brown rice be ok and not the banana?

Your theory may be insufficient to explain your situation. Since nobody has demonstrated a theory of acne that leads to reliable cures, that doesn't make your theory much worse off than anybody else's...

Here is a couple of articles that explains how unstable blood sugar levels can affect your acne.

http://www.natural-acne-solution.com/blood-sugar-acne.html

http://blog.natural-acne-solution.com/whic...er-blood-sugar/

I am not trying to say my theory is correct or anything but i am just trying to figure out what in the smoothie made me breakout like that. Since i have read correlation to banana allergies and for some being a fruit to avoid, it was the only thing i could link it too.

That is why i am confused because like you said there is not a lot of evidence there, but obviously it is something because i never have broke out that bad all at once on chin. Yes i have still been getting acne on chin but it was one at a time and due to diet was starting to get milder and less often.

Oh and yes i am a male ;)

Edited by JayQ

You know that fat, fiber, and protein all have the ability to reduce the GI of a meal right? You rarely eat brown rice by itself, but more often with some meat and whole veggies and such right?

You blend a bunch of fruit and leafy vegetables together and you mostly have a big old glass of sugar - granted a teensy bit of fat and/or protein from the greens but the fibers are basically gone. So therefore the GI is even higher than if you had eaten the fruits and veggies whole, and certainly much higher than the brown rice eaten with other foods.

You know that fat, fiber, and protein all have the ability to reduce the GI of a meal right? You rarely eat brown rice by itself, but more often with some meat and whole veggies and such right?

You blend a bunch of fruit and leafy vegetables together and you mostly have a big old glass of sugar - granted a teensy bit of fat and/or protein from the greens but the fibers are basically gone. So therefore the GI is even higher than if you had eaten the fruits and veggies whole, and certainly much higher than the brown rice eaten with other foods.

So what would be a typical safe smoothie concering sugar levels then? I always see peoples recipes adding 2 or 3 diff fruits along with just spinach or something. It was sweet but not too sweet for taste.

Also on a side note, what is something i could eat besides brown rice that are good on calories with my meals, because i am getting tired of making it and eating it everyday lol. I was thinking about baked potatoes but noticed that there considered High GI.

Edited by JayQ

To answer your question in terms of fruit bananas are higher than most so opt for lower gi fruits when choosing but in terms of rice brown is lower than most types so if eating rice choose brown!

They aren't sayin choose rice over bananas just in their food types brown rice is superior and bananas are inferior in terms of gi :)

When I make a green smoothie I use 1 kiwi and maybe a few berries if I have them, and then a huge handful of baby spinach or the likes, and cold water and a little coconut milk (not canned coconut milk- it comes in a carton like regular milk, not nearly as thick/creamy). Plus I sometimes I add a bit of high-quality whey protein isolate powder, which would drop the GI lower.

For me that is sweet enough, but if you have to add more fruit, you can easily reduce the GI by adding some olive or coconut oil, or some other source of fat/protein.

Oh yeah, and I eat a banana almost every day, but I never blend them.

Edited by Drizzler

Guest veganwithacne

So what would be a typical safe smoothie concering sugar levels then? I always see peoples recipes adding 2 or 3 diff fruits along with just spinach or something. It was sweet but not too sweet for taste.

Also on a side note, what is something i could eat besides brown rice that are good on calories with my meals, because i am getting tired of making it and eating it everyday lol. I was thinking about baked potatoes but noticed that there considered High GI.

Try sweet potatoes over white potatoes. Also the rice varies tremendously in GI, the best is Basmati Brown rice. Instant rice has a really high GI. Bananas are boarder line, so you can still have a banana but limit the amount. If avoiding high GI fruit you should avoid pineapple, watermelon, figs and all dried fruit.

You could also use quinoa for a grain instead of rice.

If you are no longer avoiding gluten then you could also try barley.

People following a low GI diet do not have eliminate certain foods, but rather restrict them.

You should also know that the way you prepare foods impacts GI. Raw carrots have a lower GI than cooked carrots. Pasta needs to be cooked al dente (Sp?) etc. There are so many books out there now with good recipes. I would browse them at the bookstore and what types of foods the use in the recipes. My hubby has a vegetarian low GI cookbook so if you want some of those recipes just pm me. You could probably just add animal protein to of the recipes if you wanted to.

Try sweet potatoes over white potatoes. Also the rice varies tremendously in GI, the best is Basmati Brown rice. Instant rice has a really high GI. Bananas are boarder line, so you can still have a banana but limit the amount. If avoiding high GI fruit you should avoid pineapple, watermelon, figs and all dried fruit.

You could also use quinoa for a grain instead of rice.

If you are no longer avoiding gluten then you could also try barley.

People following a low GI diet do not have eliminate certain foods, but rather restrict them.

You should also know that the way you prepare foods impacts GI. Raw carrots have a lower GI than cooked carrots. Pasta needs to be cooked al dente (Sp?) etc. There are so many books out there now with good recipes. I would browse them at the bookstore and what types of foods the use in the recipes. My hubby has a vegetarian low GI cookbook so if you want some of those recipes just pm me. You could probably just add animal protein to of the recipes if you wanted to.

Yes i would love to have the reciepes thanks! What about baked potato if eating with steak or chicken? I seen that a baked potato was also high in GI, but would that lower too if added with protein meats? I am just trying to get more variety and get enough calories instead of rice all the time and yes i am still avoiding gluten. I do not want to lose calories, i am maintaining my weight right now, with eating 1/2 cup brown rice with my lunch and dinner. Would love to add something else instead. Thanks!

Edited by JayQ

Grapes have a higher GI than the banana. Bananas, however, are a common allergen. And I know of numerous cases in which chin acne is an allergic reaction. The coworker who told me about her citrus allergy which led me to realize mine, for example.

You blend a bunch of fruit and leafy vegetables together and you mostly have a big old glass of sugar - granted a teensy bit of fat and/or protein from the greens but the fibers are basically gone.

Grapes have a higher GI than the banana. Bananas, however, are a common allergen. And I know of numerous cases in which chin acne is an allergic reaction. The coworker who told me about her citrus allergy which led me to realize mine, for example.

You blend a bunch of fruit and leafy vegetables together and you mostly have a big old glass of sugar - granted a teensy bit of fat and/or protein from the greens but the fibers are basically gone.

Where do you think the fibers are going?

I heard of that too, and the next day i noticed my left bottom nostril area on my nose on outside (where it bridges to the other nostril) was red and sore (pimple under it) and today it formed a whitehead. I have never ever had one there before so i dont know if was still due from the smoothie 2 days ago or not or also part of the reaction i had on my chin and it just decided to showed up a day later.

What is a good source to find the GI of all foods, because each source i see varies.

Edited by JayQ

Where do you think the fibers are going?

Fiber is not so much a nutritive component as it is a structural component. When you eat fibrous foods, those fibers stay largely intact. When you pulverize those same foods in a blender... well you get the idea. Unless you chew like 10,000 times, fruit eaten will be slower to digest then fruit blended.

I guess the best advice is that if you do make a smoothie, you should sip it slowly, taking into account you shouldn't be able to eat 2-3 pieces of fruit in like 30 seconds (but you can certainly drink them that fast).

Ok and what about the baked potato in the Low GI diet? Is that a bad choice of food to have?

Edited by JayQ

Ok and what about the baked potato in the Low GI diet? Is that a bad choice of food to have?

^bump^

I guess so :confused:

I started out on a Low GI diet, and have switched to a Low GL diet now. Main difference being that with GL its taking into account the actual amount of carbs that are there, where's GI doesn't really. It just seems to make sense that the amount of something you eat is very important.

I also think its important to eat for "your" lifestyle, this gets missed a lot. Someone who is very active outside, will likely need a very different ratio of foods than someone like myself who works indoors, not a lot of sun, and is relatively sedentary. In the past I was eating loads of starchy carbs, yet my body didn't really need them, whilst I was starving it of healthy veg. I'm guessing if I had a bit more starchy carbs an hour before I went out for a long cycle ride it probably wouldn't matter.

A banana isn't "that" bad, but you could eat just half of it, maybe the other half later in the day as well. Baked potatoes I would stay away from. Brown basmati rice, better than white, but if you can, cut the portion down to a 1/3rd of normal.

The main "simple" idea I follow at the moment, is to try and make sure 1/2 of most meals have non-starch veg carbs, lots of green ones. I just add a bit of the healthiest dressing I can as well, maybe with some vinegar. Once you get used to half a plate of healthy veg I think its on the right track. One quarter can be protein, chicken for example, then one quarter starchier veg like potatoes.

So I avoid any primary starch carb or sugar like the plague. For a curry now, instead of rice for example, I'll have vegetables to add to whatever the main ingredient is. Pizzas are totally off the menu. I have whole oats for breakfast or an omelette with some veg on it. Snacks maybe have a couple of nairns oat cakes.

If you do have to eat something bad, I would definitely make sure the portion is as small as possible. You could have a small square of choccy for example, but not a whole bar :).

I do the odd smoothie, but I try and limit them, not have too much high GI/GL fruit, and not too large overall (spread them out over a couple of days maybe), and try and get most of it in non-smoothie forms.

This is probably the healthiest diet I've ever been on, and the healthiest I've felt, and the only one I can see easily carrying on for the rest of my life, as it simply makes sense as something you want to continue.

I think a lot of people want to get by with bad foods, if they think something is ok, they will eat lots of it. Best imo to start off with making sure you eat "loads" of what does have nutrition and hard to get enough of, the low starch veg, then fill in the remainder you need with the other bits. Rather than adding a tiny side dish of veg to a huge brown rice dish :).

I'd also add that if you think you may be insulin resistant, I'd get at least 40 mins walking/running type exercise at least every couple of days.

Edited by wibble

Well, a baked potato isn't low GI, so it probably isn't a good choice on a low GI diet. A sweet potato is probably more appropriate.

If you really like baked potatoes you can lower the GI by eating it with vinegar (along with some fat and protein). Cooling the potatoes (like making a potato salad) may also help with any glycemic response as it will increase the potatoes resistant starch content: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistant_starch