Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
foxy-_-

Intermittent Accutane Regime

Last year I was on 20mg accutane daily for 6 months to treat mild/moderated acne. Altough I got cleared my acne returned 4 months after this regime. My most annoying side effect was flushing/red face, it was quite moderated and it bother me a lot. Now my derm is putting me back on accutane but this time only 10mg daily. My questions are:

Is it rare to flush with ONLY 20mg daily? I mean 20mg is still a low dosage, and ive seen studies where rosaceans and people with SB being treated with this dosage. And before accutane my face besides the acne was not red and not prone to redness. Im afraid that even with 10 mg daily I'm going to flush badly. Does anyone experienced flushing with this kind of low dosages? Will my flushing improve if i gradually reduce the mg intake? Or its just my skin that will get red no mather what accutane intake im going to take?

If anyone could help me I would be very thankfull! P.S: sorry for any english mistakes.

I have been on low dose Roaccutane for many years so I might be able to help answer this.

1. you will flush no matter what the dose

2. the lower the dose the longer for skin to complete the flushing process

Solution: start with a higher dose, once clear, drop the dose. Stay at the new dose for a few weeks and drop again. You might be surprise to know that you can maintain good skin at really small doses. My skin is flawless at 10 mg every 5th day. I have close to no side-effects at this dose.

Hello Lillie :)

I' glad you replied! It's funny because that's exactly how im planning to do my regime! Im on 10mg daily for 5 days now, still no side effects but thats normal, they will kick in soon. I will stay with this dosage until I get my face all clear, then i will probably take 10 mg every other day for a month and so on, until I the minimal dosage to keep me clear.

I just didnt't understand 1 thing. You said that no matter what the dosage I will flush, but you said that you have flawless skin. Were you trying to say that only with ultra low dosage it is possible to avoid flushing (like 10mg every 5 days)? I don't matter if I flush in the beginning with 10 mg daily if it will subside when i gradually reduce the intake, because if im going to stay red no matter what, I will probably have to quit and try another solution :(

Thanks!

Edited by foxy-_-

Oh I meant to say you will flush initially no matter what the dose. Once the initial irritations are over, then there is nothing else to worry about.

If you see that the initial breakout is taking too long just up the dose till the skin is done purging and then decrease the dose.

Thank god, I was starting to worry and get nervous lol. I'm pretty confident with this regime, hope it will work as good for me as it works for you :), THANKS A LOT for your time helping me :)

I hope you stay clear for ever and have a very happy life :)

Thank god, I was starting to worry and get nervous lol. I'm pretty confident with this regime, hope it will work as good for me as it works for you :), THANKS A LOT for your time helping me :)

I hope you stay clear for ever and have a very happy life :)

You are very sweet. :)

Just make sure you take a break from the drugs once in a while. As time progresses your body responds much faster to the medication, so going on and off will not be a long and tedious process. It will literally happen in a week.

Also don't forget to take vitamin D, fish oil for the eyes and wear sunscrenn religiously.

I will do it Lillie! ; )

Luckily after many trials and errors Ive found my HG sunscreen (at least for everyday use, still trying to find that perfect high spf sunscreen for the summer). It's called avene hydrance optimale light UV (spf 20). I LOVE IT! I recommend it to anyone that reads this! : )

I will do it Lillie! ; )

Luckily after many trials and errors Ive found my HG sunscreen (at least for everyday use, still trying to find that perfect high spf sunscreen for the summer). It's called avene hydrance optimale light UV (spf 20). I LOVE IT! I recommend it to anyone that reads this! : )

I think I may have tried it the other day. :)

My HG is L'Occitane SPF40 Apple & Almond. It is summer and even though I am outdoors a lot, I am paler than a ghost! LOL

My whole beauty routine is catered around Roaccutane. I would have no idea where to begin if I ever went off the meds!!!

Edited by Lillies