Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esotret

The total Accutane dosage per treatment?

Hello everyone.

First of all, I wanna know if the final dosage of 120mg/kg (the amount you need to take during the treatment, I heard) is mandatory. Is there any problem if someone has taken a total of, let's say, 70mg per kilogram?

Second. What if my treatment lasts longer than 7 months? My total isotretinoin amount is not higher than 70mg/kg at the moment and on September 20th I will have completed my 7th month. My dermatologist wanted me to start with 40mg/day and when my face started cleaning out (only in the 4th-5th month), she lowered the dosage. Now I am taking 15mg/day. As I heard, in the end, I might even take 10mg/a couple of days or smth like that. My weight is 65 kg (skinny mofo, huh? :D)

Sorry for mispelling, bad english or anything like that, I am just tired. :P

Thanks in advance!

Edited by esotret

hey, you don't necessarily have to take that cumulative dose. Some people are cured with a lower dose. It depends on how well your treatment works in the first couple of months with the given dose. If you're clear after 3-4 months you can lower the dose for the rest of the treatment and still remain clear. Nevertheless, after you finish your course, nobody can guarantee full remission of your acne, especially if you're a young man and still at the puberty stage.

hey, you don't necessarily have to take that cumulative dose. Some people are cured with a lower dose. It depends on how well your treatment works in the first couple of months with the given dose. If you're clear after 3-4 months you can lower the dose for the rest of the treatment and still remain clear. Nevertheless, after you finish your course, nobody can guarantee full remission of your acne, especially if you're a young man and still at the puberty stage.

Thank you for the info.

And now, can anyone answer to the 2nd question? Is there any problem if my treatment lasts longer than 7 months (while my cumulative dose is still <120mg/kg)

I'll be going until I reach 150 mg/kg cumulative, which will take 8 months if my dose stays the same. I guess it just depends on the derm.

might just be some derms like to use a higher dose than others do to make sure it doesn't come back, i'm not sure but i will be at around 176.5 mg/kg at the end of 6 months.

hopefully he is just planning on a 5 month course for me (i did ask if that was possible several times before) which would be AWESOME! finish the 13th of december and then be acne and dry lip free by xmas :D

There is no problem taking a lower dose and staying on it for a year or so. My derm does this when people cannot handle the side-effects well. It is not healthy to be on a high dose for that long but on a low dose it is not more harmful than being on a very high dose for 5 months for example.

You don't need to stay on the drug until you have reached 120mg/kg, but according to research the guarantees for success (not only at the end of the course but also for acne not coming back after a few years) are higher when you complete the 120mg/kg. If the acne is very aggressive or persistent sometimes a higher cumulative dose is needed.

Hehe, thanks for your answers. Although I got the point, you can keep posting. :)

Edited by esotret