Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I started school (college) on Monday. I'm going for dental hygiene. So basically all my classmates are pretty and all have flawless skin and yada yada yada. I feel so isolated. I'm the girl who has no confidence and it sucks cause these will be my classmates for the next 2 years. I just don't fit in. I don't know why I thought I wanted to do dental hygiene. I've been having the worst anxiety over going to school because I feel like such an ugly mess with my bad skin. I hate that my classmates are going to have to get that close to me (i have to be a pt sometimes) and see my skin like that. I'm so upset. I just wish I could have been born pretty with the rest of the world. I feel worthless and just...no one even cares to be my friend. :(

I started school (college) on Monday. I'm going for dental hygiene. So basically all my classmates are pretty and all have flawless skin and yada yada yada. I feel so isolated. I'm the girl who has no confidence and it sucks cause these will be my classmates for the next 2 years. I just don't fit in. I don't know why I thought I wanted to do dental hygiene. I've been having the worst anxiety over going to school because I feel like such an ugly mess with my bad skin. I hate that my classmates are going to have to get that close to me (i have to be a pt sometimes) and see my skin like that. I'm so upset. I just wish I could have been born pretty with the rest of the world. I feel worthless and just...no one even cares to be my friend. :(

Have you initiated conversation with anyone? You may think that nobody wants to be your friend, but perhaps they haven't had the opportunity to chat with and learn more about you. You WILL make friends, trust me! Not everybody with "flawless" skin is stuck up... You'd be suprised how many genuinely nice people are around you, for real!. =]

Yeah just go out on a limb and strike up a conversation with someone, what do you have to lose? And yeah everyone here knows the feeling of being alone, or feeling like an outcast.

Best of luck to you my friend.

I know perfectly well what you're talking about. And I understand you.

Of course, I'm not sure of your age, but I'd imagine it to be around mine - mid/late teens.

I started school 3 weeks ago, a whole new class, a whole new school. A major step in the Danish educational system. These people I am going to spend 3 years with... and everyone says that thoes are the 3 best years you will ever have.

But I doubt it... My skin doesn't exactly look very nice either. That, together with me wearing glasses, lowers my self-confidence somewhat... But I'm trying to look on the postive side of things. And, actually, it has helped me. I feel that I'm generaly accepted in the class, and it's not like people are staring at me.. I think...

I guess, you've just got to try and ignore it. Do your very best, be yourself. As gda_11 said... What do we have to lose?

I was on a language travel to England this summer, and my skin was even worse! But you know what? I ignored it! And it turned out great! I had two fantastic weeks there... Widely accepted and talked too.. even more actually. ;)

Now, forging friendships that has got to last 2 weeks, is something different then 2 years... allthough, then again, is it really?

I wish you the very best of luck my friend!

I'm 22. And away from home from the first time in a place where i know no one. I've had the same group of girlfriends since I was born and now I have no one. And It's really hard for me to make new friends. And I do feel like an outcast. When I talk to people I get so much anxiety because I know how I must look to them. I'm so lonely and alone. I hate it so much I just want to quit. But it took alot to be accepted into this program so quitting is not an option. My boyfriend won't be able to join me here untill the middle of next year so I know it's going to be horrible untill then. But I have anxiety all day about going to school the next day. I feel so ugly and it's i have no confidence in myself or esteem at all. I sit in my apartment all day by myself. I've been crying everynight. I feel trapped in a hopeless situation. It' sucks because it's all because of my acne. that's the only reason. All I do is think about it. Every morning I rush to the mirror to see if I'm having a "good skin day" or a bad one. And even when I leave the house feeling confident and pretty, within an hour of being at school and being ignored I get oily and feel gross all over again. it's a vicouse cycle and i hate it

i'm sure people care to be your friend! you just have to take some steps for yourself. i just met this girl with the worst skin i've ever seen in real life...and she's so sweet and i think we're going to be great friends. you really have to try to feel better for it to happen...because, unfortunately, it may not happen on it's own (and if it does, time is all you needed!). i wish you the best of luck...stay strong!

I'm also 22 and started school last week. I'm still breaking out and have red marks from old zits. I still try to talk to people and be friendly though. I know how frustrating and embarrassing it can be to go to class with a breakout but there are many others who are doing the same. It's ok. I'd be your friend if I went to your school lol. Anyways.. if you need somebody to talk to, hit me up. It seems like we have a lot in common.

I'm glad you're in college! Unfortunately, I need to take writing and reading, and math classes to be able to study what ever I want to. I decided to learn computer, software and network. I love computers! But dental hygiene is good.

All I can say is not to give up! You worry to much about skin which will upset you! Try to be happy and stop thinking about acne! At least you're beautiful inside and outside!

If you lived close to me I would be your best friend. :)

The first few weeks of school can be very stressful! Especially if it's your first time out of your comfort zone. Try not to appear aloof, and consider seeing a doctor about your anxiety. Anxiety that is crippling like that can be treated, and may make a world of difference in how you perceive your new classmates and yourself.

Hang in there! We're here for you, and I'd wager that most of us know how you feel. You're not alone.

Aww thank you guys. I'm so glad I'm part of this website. I don't know how silly this sounds...but I really feeel like I could meet everyone on here...and feel...comphy. I don't feel comphy with most people...it usually takes a while to warm up. But with so many people who feel the same as I..it's compherting. I went out tonight and anytime anyone I didn't know try to talk to me..I just felt so gross cause I was having a bad skin day. And it sucks cause i'm living in this college town and I should be able to have fun and fit in. But i don't. Instead I just want to stay home and not have to deal with it. Ugh.

I just went through your gallery and have NO idea what your talking about. I see no acne, no scarring (knock on wood and thank God). All I see is a really very pretty girl!! Im not just saying that either to make you feel better. Your are one of the girls who were just born pretty.

School is going ok. Some days better than others. This week is hell. Stressful and all. Tomorrow I have to show that I know how to properly use the instruments on teeth and if I don't pass I get kicked oughta the program. YIKES.

And thanks for the comment. And I have to admit that I agree with you. My pictures look like I do have good skin. But that's because the camera has a low reslution I guess...but trust me when I say my skin truly is horrible. :(

I need to take one sometime that actually shows what I'm talking about so I don't sound crazy...

Hey, Let me start out and say that you are a totally pretty girl. I'm not saying that to give you a false sense of encouragement or going with the flow of these posts. When I tell you something about yourself, I mean it; I don't beat around the bush. You have a beautiful facial structure and are very tan in complexion. You have that look of : Hey i'm friendly, come on talk to me.

let me start out and say i do relate with your story. When I was in college, It was a horrid experience for me. Not only did I not have anyone really close to me to relate to, had acne, was naturally introverted, was self-conscious in other areas of my life but I didn't really have a clue what I wanted to do (no direction). I've found out that once I have a course of direction I feel extremely called to or motivated to persue or find purpose in, I just tune out other people in reaching that calling. I sense you are a similar type person and you are a people person. Can you say that people are your trade? People like us, have a tendancy in caring so much what people think about us, that we micro-study people in what they think about us. Let alone, when you have acne, you become extra sensitive and alert to what people think and say about you. We can sometimes not give people the benefit of the doubt but we really want to deep down inside.

Now, Why did you want to be a dental Hygenist in the first place? Was it for the money or was it for the people? I have a feeling you want to be an effective person, in the life of the people you come into contact to. People that are either doctors, dentists, counselors, HR people, Secretaries etc.. Have to people oriented or they wouldn't be doing the job effectively or for the right reasons. You want to have an impact on the people you come into contact and make a difference in their lives. The trade off with that is: you have a tendancy to care to much what the other person thinks and you get so caught up in the details and loose focus.

This is what I think the case is here, your getting caught up into the details of having acne and clueing in on what you perceive as them "Looking" at your face and then, forming an opinion about them inregards, to what they think about you. Would you agree with thise assessment?

Let me reverse roles her alittle bit.. Let say I'm the person that working with you on a project and you come of as reserved, rigid, quiet, and calcuated in your interactions with me? Now, I don't know whats going on inside your head, I don't know that your acne is effecting you this much and you think i'm clueing in on your acne. With that in mind, what do you think it comes off to me as: Wow, She really doesn't want to work with me; It's almost as if she just wants this time to end and run out of the glass room as soon as possible. What is it, do i smell? DO I look ugly? does my body actions turn her off for some reason what? This was hard for me to realize, when I became so self-absorbed in myself. I had forgotten to examine how I come off to people as. I was so worried what they thought about my acne, rather then making an attempt to be kind and non judgemental.

Maybe it would be a good thingto focus on your classmates needs and to make the first friendly contact, rather than hiding and becoming stuck within yourself. Focus on being effective in the class room, just like you want to be effective in the dentist office. SOmetimes, we focus to much on what success is, rather than what it means to be effective. To have success, you first have to be effective at what you do.