Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone!

I know this should probably go in the newbie forum, but I decided to introduce myself here as I want to treat my acne holistically :drool: (I can't find a plain smiley face, so pretend that's not drooling hahaha)

My storyy: quite mild but very persistent acne. I do consider myself lucky that it's not severe or cystic, but it's enough to make me feel self concious when I go under bright lights and my skin looks lumpy, or to have constant red marks, etc etc :cry: lol

I haven't tried any medications, antibiotics, except for Yasmin. I didn't see any difference in my skin whilst on it, although it was good for other things, but I didn't want to be on birth control for long so I discontinued it. Hmm.. anyway...

I would like to try and reduce the severity of my acne via holistic/diet methods! I've been a vegetarian for a long time (personal choice, not acne) and I have reduced my dairy intake drastically over the past few months (again, personal choice... drinking another animals milk is kind of gross to think about hahaa, but the dairy/acne stuff I read on here helped me with that too)...

I don't want to megadose on any vitamins, although I am constantly meaning to buy supplements haha. I don't want to drink Espom Salts to "liver flush".

I'm going to work on developing a diet/topical regimen that leaves me feeling healthy, and my skin looking amazing :D (okay found the smiley haha)

Man I'm ranting... haha.

Anyway, I'm just saying hello to everyone in the holistic forum, and hope to chat soon!! :)

Guest veganwithacne

Welcome

Always good to have another veg around acne.org :dance:

Feel free to ask me about any dairy free options etc if you need help or support

Best of luck

Welcome. In devising your plan you might want to check out my Good Things for acne list which is full of links to all kinds of useful discussion threads and info on the factors involved in acne, how diet and lifestyle effects them and what to do about it. See also the Food and Recipe thread for meal, snack and drink ideas.

Naw, thanks everybody!

To veganwithacne: I usually alternate between rice and soy milks :) I'm trying to cut down on soy milk, but I love it with porridge and in tea!! I'm always meaning to make my own almond milk, but I just don't get around to it... I think my biggest problem is including a wide variety of foods in my diet?? Like when I cut out cheese or yoghurt, I don't replace it with anything of similar nutritional content which is kind of bad haha... thanks for the support!!

To c'est la vigne: Thanks heaps :) I just read your post about bad grammar and I must say, I can't agree more!! I didn't know how to actually comment on it though, lol... something to add: people who say "I done that" instead of "I did that" hehe.

To alternavista: Thanks for that!! I have been stalking the boards for a while and I have to confess... I have found your posts to be the most informative!!

I have done so much research and I almost have a regimen worked out in my head, the problem is just finding the motivation to actually implement it :( I can eat really healthy for a week, but when I slip up it just snowballs so I'll spend the week following the slip up drinking coffee and eating nutella sandwiches lol.. any tips??

Thanks again for the welcoming everyone!

( I can eat really healthy for a week, but when I slip up it just snowballs so I'll spend the week following the slip up drinking coffee and eating nutella sandwiches lol.. any tips??

Don't keep nutella and bread in your home.

I've been a vegetarian for a long time (personal choice, not acne)

I don't want to megadose on any vitamins, although I am constantly meaning to buy supplements

Vegetarians statistically have a hard time getting enough of a variety of molecules that are plausibly relevant to acne, including: zinc, tryptophan, and the Vitamin B family. Not taking supplements makes it less likely you will avoid the effects of long-term mild nutritional deficiencies seen, for example, in most vegetarian countries. Zinc is a particular puzzle, since lowered serum zinc is reliably correlated with acne, but zinc is tightly regulated in the body (starting with absorption by the gut, which may work better with meat), so it's not clear how much of a supplement is the right dose, or even what form of zinc in the body to measure to make that decision.

Guest veganwithacne

Pumpkin seeds are a good vegetarian source of zinc, tryptophan, and iron. Soy and quinoa are also good sources of amino acids. I take a multivitamin though as do most people. It does contain a b-complex, iron, and zinc. I also love nutritional yeast which has b-vitamins added. A well planned vegetarian and vegan diet can be extremely healthy, as can a well planned omni diet. All diets should be planned. I guarantee that the Americans who eat nothing but processed and fast foods are lacking in many nutritional elements, but somehow people only point the finger at veg*ns. :naughty:

ATTENTION

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves guys. MoonUnit is still new to this. I've been going holistic/diet/lifestyle for almost 9 months now, i went from severe to like no acne so this is a good choice.

2 things.

EXCERISE, ALOT OF IT.

SUNLIGHT AND GOING OUTSIDE.

just as important as diet.

Healthy attitude about life. Smiling everyday and being positive. Negativity causes acne, which causes more negativity...violent cycle. It might be hard to break out of it, but its worth it.

Get something to wash, I use cleanandclear acne solution coninous blah blah. No topicals, but u can actually use the CNC as a topical, works great at night. Wash twice daily.

Sleep alot, never after 11 30, seriously.

The thing with diets is that you are supposed to avoid foods, NOT FUCKING CUT THEM OUT ENTIRELY. Your a human, not an allergic robot who malfunctions at the slighest impurity.

Thats it really, let me sum it up.

Sleep early, get alot of exercise, eat healthy, junk food is fine but once a week ( im a hypocrite i eat maybe twice a week, POSITIVE FUCKING ATTITUDE AT ALL TIMES, get a face wash, smile more often, realize how happy you are, dont hesitate to do the things "you were planning to do when your acne was gone", get to know yourself, be confident, take a multi-vitamin, research acne its good to be informed. DONE

Give it time, took me 9 months and I was very skeptical.

Now my face is almost perfect except ALOT of scars, and some blemishes which will be rooted out shortly. EXERCISE and SLEEP for that :)

Peace.

To c'est la vigne: That would explain why I couldn't comment on it! Haha :D

To alternavista: Unfortunately I still live at home (moving out in the next month!!), and nutella happens to be the staple diet of my little sister (who of course, has flawless skin...) so it's always there by the barrelful lol. But that is a really good tip! I'll make sure not to buy junk food when I move out, which will probably be easyyy since I'll be poor lol. Thanks!

To databased: I couldn't agree with you more! Zinc, Omega-3, B-vitamins, Vitamin A etc are all important parts of a clear-skin diet, and what's a great source of all of those things... meat! Hah :D I just prefer not to eat it... yeah, I have read at least 5 different recommendations for zinc supplements so it's a little confusing when I go supplement shopping!! I'll definately buy a multivitamin when I go out next... thanks heaps!

To veganwithacne: Thanks for all of those super tips!! I love pumpkin seeds :) I think I'll enjoy talking to you on here hahaha. And I really agree with you, vegans, vegetarians, meat eaters, ANYONE can have a superb healthy diet with a bit of planning!! And that is so true (about vegans recieving scrutiny over their diets while obese junk food eaters are considered the norm. Well, not the norm I guess but you know what I mean!) What multi vitamin would you recommend??

To Curtis: That was a really motivational post, thankyou sincerely :) I definately need to improve on all of the things you mentioned, especially positive attitude and sleep... I'm an insomniac from way back :cool: And excercise too, probably. I walk A LOT, but I don't do anything that makes me break a sweat or excert myself. Definaely joining a gym when I move to the city!!

Thank you so much again, everybody :)

I have a question though... how do I put multiple quotes in one reply on a topic?? I know how to put one quote, but how would I put lots of quotes, like one from each of you guys so I can reply to it?? Man I worded that weirdly (don't hurt me, cest la vigne hahaha), but I hope you know what I mean!!

You can use Notepad. That's what I do when I want to quote several posts at once. Just hit reply to each comment you want to quote, and copy and paste the quoted text from each of them into Notepad. Type up your responses to each one, then copy and paste the whole thing back as a new reply.

You can use Notepad. That's what I do when I want to quote several posts at once. Just hit reply to each comment you want to quote, and copy and paste the quoted text from each of them into Notepad. Type up your responses to each one, then copy and paste the whole thing back as a new reply.

Thanks heaps!! I think I have it figured out now :D

Oh also... is your picture the cat bus from Totoro?

Guest veganwithacne

MoonUnit

I take NOW Foods liquid multivitamin. I have a fear of pills especially the big multivitamin ones : ) I looked at it and I was mistaken it does not contain Iron.

I must be getting enough anyway from my diet. I give blood frequently, so they would have told me if I was anemic and iron deficient.

MoonUnit

I take NOW Foods liquid multivitamin. I have a fear of pills especially the big multivitamin ones : ) I looked at it and I was mistaken it does not contain Iron.

I must be getting enough anyway from my diet. I give blood frequently, so they would have told me if I was anemic and iron deficient.

Okay awesome, thanks! Yeah it's strange, last year I was frequently ill and lethargic and the doctor suspected iron deficiency.. so I got a blood test and my levels were perfect!! Which is odd, because even though I try to be healthy I'll admit that I'm not adamant about getting all the minerals I need... I wonder where all of that iron came from?? Hahaa.