Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kitsuki

Is it possible to become immune to treatment?

Heeey i'm new to this forum, I basically joined because i'm going out of my mind with my skin, and feeling very lonely as everyone around me isn't suffering the same problem :(

Basically i'm 19 and i've suffered severe acne since around the age of 14, I kept it away for a few years using the contraceptive pill, but it recently returned. I was first placed back on Dianette which was my first contraceptive pill I used, which originally worked VERY well, but the second time around it did nothing. My acne became increasingly worse until I was put on Minocyline, i've been on it now for roughly 3 weeks and I can't see any improvement infact I believe it's getting even worse!

Is Minocycline the best antibiotic out there? Am I being too impatient? Is it possible to become immune to treatment?

Any replies are really appreciated, i'm becoming so depressed, it's a huge weight on the confidence :(

Hi Kitsuki! First of all: don't get depressed, stress will only make things worse. Try to be as positive as you can under these circumstances, OK? I know that you can become immune to antibiotics, but since you've only used them for 3 weeks that's obviously not the issue here. Have you talked to your doctor about another birth control pill that may work better in your case (sorry, I'm a male and -as you might suspect- have absolutely no experience with bc pills)? I don't know if minocycline is the best out there, I'm not a fan of antibiotics and try to avoid them as much as I can. In your case I would discuss this with your doctor and see if there are other/better treatments that suit you better. You should also have a look at the nutrition & holistic health forum, sometimes it's just one stupid little thing that triggers your acne (like citrus fruit, vegetable oils, dairy, soy or other unhealthy diet habits). Good luck and take care!

It's not that you become immune to antibiotics, it is the bacteria that that antibiotics are supposed to kill that become immune. It's known as natural selection. Some bacteria will survive an antibiotic regimen and when they reproduce, then that genetic trait will be passed on. Of course, you have just started an antibiotic regimen so perhaps it is too early to tell yet.

One problem today is the premature cessation of antibiotics. Frequently people will quit taking them before their physician tells them to. The symptoms or the disease go away, but enough bacteria are left that it they build an immunity to the medication. This is why we see so many types of antibiotic resistant bacteria today and it is a problem. Another reason is overuse of antibiotics.

With regard to contraceptives, I can only say that body chemistry changes with regard to hormones etc and what worked once, may not necessarily work again.

Joe Zit

Edited by Joe Zit

It's not that you become immune to antibiotics, it is the bacteria that that antibiotics are supposed to kill that become immune. It's known as natural selection. Some bacteria will survive and antibiotic regimen and when they reproduce, then that genetic trait will be passed on.

One problem today is the premature cessation of antibiotics. Frequently people will quit taking them before their physician tells them to. The symptoms or the disease go away, but enough bacteria is left that it they build an immunity to the medication. This is why we see so many types of antibiotic resistant bacteria today and it is a problem. Another reason is overuse of antibiotics.

With regard to contraceptives, I can only say that body chemistry changes with regard to hormones etc and what worked once, may not necessarily work again.

Joe Zit