Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maaac.xo

wondering about the community on acne.org

so, i'm sure a lot of us have been to different sites, forums, etc. for different things.

i know i have.

none of them were about acne, only this site.

and what i've noticed?

everyone is so nice and polite at acne.org, versus other places.

why is that?

one site i've been to, people are downright rude, telling people to "STFU & go die, you have no idea what you're talking about." and continue to swear some more.

just because they put an idea out there.

but at acne.org, even if someone is being jokingly rude (and that is made clear), or are negative, people understand and send back positive feedback.

everyone here is polite.

is it because dan is so kind to everyone?

is it because acne.org addresses a more serious issue?

and...

of course i'm going to connect all of this to acne - this is ACNE.org.

is it because we're all going through the same thing & have something to relate to?

or maybe that people that have experienced acne have experienced low self-esteem, and are therefore more considerate, understanding, less superficial, not egotistic, have a developed personality?

that, i think, is a huge contributing factor.

...and all because of horrible skin?

just wondering. (: what are your opinions?

Edited by maaac.xo

I've moved this thread to the Emotional And Psychological Effects Of Acne board, since that's a better fit.

I think there are a lot of reasons, including the ones that you mentioned, that this site is so welcoming. I think a big part of it is that we have all dealt with acne, so we all understand how frustrating it can be. We offer the support to each other that we would like offered to us.

truth is, unless you are acne sufferer, no one gives a rats behind about acne. They don't think acne even deserves an emotional and psychological effects board. "a teenage disease that spawns a few harmless jokes" is all.

but acne sufferers all recognize its more than such. and that's why people are empathetic on this board.

HAH, you obviously haven't met ME ;)

It's mainly because some of the more expirienced members and mods, etc. give the extra effort to be nice, helpful and understanding, so there's no reason to be angry in the first place.

We're all going through the same stuff so we all know what it's like, so there's no reason to ridicule someone if they pull a stupid move that causes them to break out, for example, we've all done it before.

Nazi mods who use mind control and permaB&

That, too. :D

PS: Welcome to acne.org, maaac.xo *waves*

I agree, this is a great site. You also get people from all over the world - and from all aspects of life - and all ages. You've got the young and the old - and I think that this helps balance out the board. Lots of different opinions and views and it helps to have different ages to help everyone understand that you're not alone - and that things can get better.

Also - they are right about other boards/places not dedicated to acne and people not understanding. If you ever try to talk to someone who has never had to deal with acne - it's frustrating because they just DO NOT understand. My husband has never had many pimples at all - in his life - and he doesn't understand why I wouldn't want to go out in public after I've had a bad breakout - he's just like, "No one will notice." It's not even about that. It's just the way that acne makes a person feel. You want to hide.

The people here - understand what it's like - because we've BEEN there. No need to be mean :) Being mean, doesn't help, right ?

Cheers!

It's definitely because we've all gone through it and understand the pain of acne. Other sites are just places where young kids like to run their mouths and learn new swear words just to be social, but this is truly a support system that you can always go to when you're feeling down about your skin. Not only that, but it's chock full of info on different antibiotics, topicals, and regimens conventional and unconventional that can help steer you in the right direction.

And it does help to have someone as nice as Dan creating such a place for us. :)

It also reminds me of a quote from Twilight (the movie, not book):

"It's the one place we don't have to hide."-Edward Cullen. LOL

Edited by MissAngie

I acutally am a horrible, horrible person. Behind every nice charming smile of mine, there's a hitchiker in my basement. Handcuffed to the pipes. With a TV showing Chucklevision on repeat.

(In case you don't know, Chucklevision is a UK children's TV show of absolute SHITINESS. It is centred around two miserable looking 60 odd men with rat's asses for mustaches. Good choice of people for a kids tv show then. Oh, and one of their catchphrases is, "To me! To you! To me! To you!" and apparently in real life one of them was in holiday in France and he fell off a wall and broke his leg. He was lying on the ground, moaning for help, and all these English tourists walking past him would shout, "To me! To you! To me! To you!"

what a stupid topic man! STFU and die!!

why no one says this on this forum? simple, you have to register to reply, and people who say that kind of things are either immature or just not older than 14 years, but dont want to take the effort to register ;)

As weird as this may sound, we all have a sort of bond. We all know what it's like. And more times than not, I bet each of us has been treated poorly due to our skin, or been embarrassed by it. I think that gives a lot of people a new perspective on how to treat others. I think, for the most part, that everyone here tries to be nice because we know what it's like to be treated poorly, regardless of the reason. It sucks, plain and simple. Do unto others really is a good thing to remember.

I can't recall how many times we've had new members come here and admit that they used to be that person who made fun of people with acne..........that is until they developed acne themselves. It's a real eye opener. And it's humbling.

This a very nice topic, yeah I too agree that most of the people here are very supportive and nice---am also new here so yeah... it's nice to discover this site, can I say thanks to my acne? Haha

Anyway Brandy said, I can also sense that kind of bond.

:D

I think most of my response has been said before. Maybe it does have to do with personality development because of acne. I don't know what it's like to not have it, but I do know what it's like to live as if you don't.

This place has taught me a lot, but it's undeniable that there are amazing people on this website. I have even met a couple of them in person, and they are lovely! It's true, and just because this is a forum doesn't mean there aren't real people behind the computers who really do care.

This place is unique and special and I am eternally grateful to have found it and found you all. <3

i thought it was weird, too. all other forums have loads of horrible people whose posts you have to ignore to get to the good stuff...but over here, almost everyone's pretty kind. (not gonna lie, it annoys me sometimes, haha...because a select few over here just need to be told off, but nobody here is willing to do it because they're too nice!)

so, i'm sure a lot of us have been to different sites, forums, etc. for different things.

i know i have.

none of them were about acne, only this site.

and what i've noticed?

everyone is so nice and polite at acne.org, versus other places.

why is that?

one site i've been to, people are downright rude, telling people to "STFU & go die, you have no idea what you're talking about." and continue to swear some more.

just because they put an idea out there.

but at acne.org, even if someone is being jokingly rude (and that is made clear), or are negative, people understand and send back positive feedback.

everyone here is polite.

is it because dan is so kind to everyone?

is it because acne.org addresses a more serious issue?

and...

of course i'm going to connect all of this to acne - this is ACNE.org.

is it because we're all going through the same thing & have something to relate to?

or maybe that people that have experienced acne have experienced low self-esteem, and are therefore more considerate, understanding, less superficial, not egotistic, have a developed personality?

that, i think, is a huge contributing factor.

...and all because of horrible skin?

just wondering. (: what are your opinions?

STFU. You are so naive.

It's because we all walk in the same shoes more or less, so there will be a special empathy here that you won't find in other places.

People with acne aren't snobbish and self-centered so they are more compassionate toward others. Before I had acne, I took a lot of pictures of myself all the time and was always looking in the mirror, but now I don't take as many pictures and I don't look in the mirror quite as much. I have more time for others. I am so disgusted with myself that I don't spend so much time focusing on myself. Acne is both a curse and a blessing, I believe. I guess I am a very positive person for thinking it is a blessing, but when you think about it, it can be. We all carry the same burden. We all feel inferior to clear-skin people, but we shouldn't feel like that at all. We are no worse than clear-skin people. We are all in this together and we are all here to help each other find a solution to our acne problems. This is truly a wonderful site. : ]

Most of us here are no longer judgmental due to our affliction. Less judgmental = less aggressive language = better environment.

P.S We are not judgmental because we all know how it felt like to be judged by others, and not meeting the standard.