Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skummer

My Gel is smelling strongly and burning? Still?

First off I am a long term BP Gel user - being using it since Dan first started making these products.

So I recieved my BP Gel today, and the first thing I noticed was woah - this stuff smells. The smell kinda reminds me of TCP (the antiseptic).

It's also way more stingy/tingly (but not unbearably so) - and seems thicker!

So I ran a search on this forum and found this thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/BP-Change...ml&hl=smell

Pretty much everything being described there is what I've noticed with this batch.

Now - judging by the thread, the issue has been resolved?

However the batch number of my gels are 9152.

They all smell real strong.

Is this anything to worry about or what? I mean - the smell is kinda bad, I'm used to my BP Gel being near odourless. The stinging isn't too bad but it's not really ideal.

What's the deal? :S

I have exactly the same experience with this batch of BP (batch number 9152, expiry 06/11).

Redness, burning, dryness, and the BP smells different.

I have had a reply from customer support saying that it is because it is "super fresh". But I'm sure it is stronger than 2.5%.

Has anyone else had the same experience with this batch? I've been using Dan's BP for 2 years now, and there is definitely something wrong with this batch.

The BP we're sending out these days is "fresher" than ever. In other words, you're getting it really soon after it's made. So, it should feel a little thicker and it should smell more strongly. You'll notice that the longer you have it the less it smells and the less thick it becomes.

Dan,

I just posted in another thread, quite angry, before I pinpointed the batch # and expiration on my tube. There is definitely something wrong with the BP you are sending out.

I have batch 9152, exp. 06-11 like these people.

I used 5% benzoyl before ordering your BP, and I followed the regimen but with my own cleanser and moisturizer. My skin was clearing quite nicely. Then I ordered your BP lured by the promise of the regimen last week, and each time I applied the BP my skin started to burn (I used smaller amounts than I was using with 5%)!

Now I put on even less this morning, and my skin just burned like crazy, and turned red and splotchy! I am stopping using all your products! Especially after I found I am not the only one who experienced this! Dan something is wrong with your product right now and you should stop shipments till you figure it out.

This is not the normal reaction to BP, I have used many different BP products in the past, with relative success, and nothing like this has ever happened to me.

Guys,

honestly... I just looked at my face in the mirror - it's outrageously red!

This is the danger of using a health product that is not from a larger company that has more strict guidelines about checking the quality and contents of the product before they ship it out.

Guys,

honestly... I just looked at my face in the mirror - it's outrageously red!

This is the danger of using a health product that is not from a larger company that has more strict guidelines about checking the quality and contents of the product before they ship it out.

Well, I'd say discontinue the bp for now and go back to whatever you were using before since your skin did well with it. Wait a day or so if your skin is currently very irritated, before you start back with your former products. I'll ask Dan to take another look at this thread though.

Nicos,

You've already posted about your issues in two other threads, let's not start a witch hunt about it. I said I'd ask Dan to come weigh in again, and I have. Now let's just wait and see if he has any light to shed on the problem. Hang tight. :)

And keep in mind that just because you have had a problem with it doesn't mean that everyone is. For every one complaint, there are hundreds of satisfied users. So, let's not assume that just because your skin isn't happy that everyone is experiencing the same thing.

See this post for now: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2707286

I had used a different batch before this one, and I was able to apply around 1 pump on my face.

I moved on to the new batch, 9152, after 2 months of being on the regimen, and I couldn't apply nearly as much.

With the newer BP, I still have to apply a very very small amount to my lower portion of my face, almost a pea size, where as before it was almost 1 full pump.

I'm sure the BP is fresher, and newer, but it would not hurt to look into it.

I experienced the same problem.

(Even with such smaller portions, I am way dryer then I was ever before)

Edited by Tenenbaum

I will be switching back to my older batch, and I'll see if it is much less harsh and I'll report back here.

I just finished washing my face with the cleanser, and it just keeps getting dryer, even if I apply less BP.

I do have the feeling there is something wrong with the BP, as none of Dan's BP did this before in large doses, now it is small doses and a lot harsher and drying.

Edited by Tenenbaum

Hm, just noticed I have this batch aswell, I wouldnt consider it bad burning or redness, but slight redness barely any burning from the bp alone, the moisturizer is what burns and causes redness the most, Ive since switched from dans moisturizer to aveeno and a few drops of jojoba oil with his cleaner/bp and is ALOT better. And sometimes I dont do anything to my face in the morning and it seems to help aswell.

And also I cant compare becuz this is the first BP i have used from Dan. But this makes me happy, knowing that the redness/burning while very mild could completely be gone once I get a new batch, but this tube has lasted a damn long time and still PLENTY left.

Edited by yx230

This is the batch that I have. This is my first time using the regimen and Dans products so im not sure what its supposed to be like. I am dry and red but thats whats supposed to happen I thought.

hmm, now that I discovered this thread perhaps its why It was irritating my face although its weird because it keeps the acne from coming back since I am clear atm but... it started to aggravate my left cheek and causing some weird cluster acne to form, I immediately switched back to On the spot and it cleared up overnight thank goodness. Im not sure what to think I use Dan's other products and they work great.

Ill be interested to see how what happens. I am red a irritated, but this is the only bp i have used. I hope I have not put all this time to find out my bp was bad.

hmm this is a bit scary. I have the same batch although it doesn't smell THAT bad as some people are describing. However, my salcylic acid smells REALLY really strong. Not sure if thats normal or not because that deffinately gives me a headache

it's not the smell that everyone is really concerned. Its the effects. The smell is just something... 'different'

Smell is fine, the problem is the effect that this batch is putting off.

I switched back to my other batch which much less drying, much less burning, and much less irritation.