Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chloe_1

Derm advising Benzoyl peroxide while on Accutane?

I was just wondering if any of you use BP while on Accutane?

I had my 2nd derm appt last week for my second month's course, and he recommended me to use it, aswell as Dermol Cream as a moisturiser.

Just wondering if anyone else uses BP (I havent before), as I thought it would be too drying.

Ive had a very bad IB which is now, I hope, slowly healing, however I've just doubled my dose so will see. I dont really want to irritate my skin further.

Whether BP is too drying would depend on how high your dose is, if you're experiencing side effects now and also on how you react to the combination. A 2.5% BP would be safe enough to try and would also help reduce the breakout from the increased dose (theoretically! :D )

The derm i saw last week was so much better than my previous one, he also prescribed me Erythromycin to help with any possible breakout, and suggested the BP and moisturiser...the derm I had before didnt do any of this, and I wish she had, because my IB was terrible, worse than anything I've had, and it was severe to start with.

Hoping not to have another breakout on this dose, derm seemed pretty confident I wouldnt, and I wont be changing my dose after this so hopefully it will settle down.

Will just keep my fingers crossed now that the pharmacy have ordered me the 2.5% one! :)

I wasn't instructed to, but I've been using up the last of my benzaclin (benzoyl peroxide and clindamyacin) while on accutane. About 10 days in and my skin has improved a ton, no joke. Hoping it keeps up.. just been doing a tiny amount each morning.