Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

This will be a personal test for me

So, I am leaving for Burning Man tomorrow. This will be such a major trial for me and my anxiety about my skin. I'll be partying/camping out in the middle of the desert for almost a week. It is going to be a real test for me with people I don't know seeing me without makeup (I'll wear some, but our showers are outdoors and I'm camping with a big group of people), dusty, with messed up hair. If I get a breakout, I can't hide out like I usually do.

I am hoping that this experience of being around all these friendly, open-minded, fun people will ease my anxiety about how others respond to how I look. Out there, I am just going to have to go with the flow, go out and have fun and not worry about it! I think it may really help me get past this whole thing and realize that even if I am broken out, it doesn't matter - people will like me regardless!

Anyway, I'm hoping to come back with positive stories about my experience! Wish me luck...

I wish you a GRAND time and great fun and a good, positive, affirming experience. Watch and applaud the belly dancers for me. :P

I bet your group will love you. Most people respond well when they're only given one choice, and you'll be forced to face your insecurity. They will like you.

GL

Thanks! You are right about the forced choice response - that's exactly why I thought this would be a good way to deal with it. I thought about doing the baby step approach, but I think the Burning Man method will be much more effective! Plus, there will be so much to see and do, that I won't have as much time to think about my skin!

I wish you a GRAND time and great fun and a good, positive, affirming experience. Watch and applaud the belly dancers for me. :P

Thanks! And I will be sure to cheer on any belly dancers I see! Speaking of dance - I am joining a group at Burning Man that is going to learn and practice (and then perform) the Thriller Dance. I think it will be fun, and a nice trip down memory lane for me because we did Thriller at a dance recital when I was in school. Can't wait!!

I bet your group will love you. Most people respond well when they're only given one choice, and you'll be forced to face your insecurity. They will like you.

GL

Thanks! You are right about the forced choice response - that's exactly why I thought this would be a good way to deal with it. I thought about doing the baby step approach, but I think the Burning Man method will be much more effective! Plus, there will be so much to see and do, that I won't have as much time to think about my skin!

Thanks! And I will be sure to cheer on any belly dancers I see! Speaking of dance - I am joining a group at Burning Man that is going to learn and practice (and then perform) the Thriller Dance. I think it will be fun, and a nice trip down memory lane for me because we did Thriller at a dance recital when I was in school. Can't wait!!

That will be fun! Group performance and rehearsal is a lot of fun, energizing, makes one completely lose that fear of putting onself out there. It's SUCH good therapy. :) I'm excited for you!

I am positive this will be an uplifting and affirming experience for you. :D

GL

That will be fun! Group performance and rehearsal is a lot of fun, energizing, makes one completely lose that fear of putting onself out there. It's SUCH good therapy. :) I'm excited for you!

I am positive this will be an uplifting and affirming experience for you. :D

I know getting outside of myself will help me a lot. I'm thinking I am going to have to adjust my skin regimen to this very hot, very dry climate. I'm probably going to scale it back a bit for those days.

I am now trying to reduce the number of items I am packing. Its hard though - there are so many things you need to bring - warm costumes for evening, cool costumes for day (so 2 outfits per day), regular clothes - shorts, sweatshirts, sweatpants, stuff to sleep in, socks, shoes, boots, survival crap (goggles, masks, etc.), sunscreen, hats/headbands/hair clips, beauty and skin care stuff. Lots and lots of shit to bring!!!

So, I am leaving for Burning Man tomorrow. This will be such a major trial for me and my anxiety about my skin. I'll be partying/camping out in the middle of the desert for almost a week. It is going to be a real test for me with people I don't know seeing me without makeup (I'll wear some, but our showers are outdoors and I'm camping with a big group of people), dusty, with messed up hair. If I get a breakout, I can't hide out like I usually do.

I am hoping that this experience of being around all these friendly, open-minded, fun people will ease my anxiety about how others respond to how I look. Out there, I am just going to have to go with the flow, go out and have fun and not worry about it! I think it may really help me get past this whole thing and realize that even if I am broken out, it doesn't matter - people will like me regardless!

Anyway, I'm hoping to come back with positive stories about my experience! Wish me luck...

People out there are usually really nice, and certainly won't care about your skin! I'm sure you'll have a pretty easy time getting along well and having fun :)

I hope you have a great time, there's lots to do out there, and tons of music!

People out there are usually really nice, and certainly won't care about your skin! I'm sure you'll have a pretty easy time getting along well and having fun :)

I hope you have a great time, there's lots to do out there, and tons of music!

Thanks! I'm getting ready to leave this morning - getting picked up at 6 am! Yawn.... I'm both excited and nervous. This is just one of those things I feel like I HAVE to do - I need to know that I can do it. :)

I'll update when I get back on Monday!