Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xflare

UGGGHHH.... I need a foundation that provides good coverage, everything is breaking me out

So I've been trying to find a foundation that won't break me out. I have a lot of red scars. I wasn't getting much new acne but seem to be lately getting more than usual and I think it could be from my foundation. I've been using Almay smart shade. It blends so nice but doesn't provide enough coverage. I've been using Maybelline cover stick also. I currently have physicians formula mineral wear and neutrogen healthy skin enhancer. Would you advise any of those to use? Would Almay be contributing to my breakouts? I've heard good results from others so thats why I'm not sure if it would be. Does it take your skin a few weeks to adjust to make up? Any help would be great. I also had tried everyday minerals but seemed to notice that I was breaking out from that too. Did that happen to anyone else?

I don't know if this will help or not, but I have found that my skin is going to break out because of ANY makeup/sunscreen/lotion/whatever used on my face if I don't exfoliate properly. For me, I have to do a more aggressive exfoliation than what is generally advised, but everyone's skin is different. It may be as simple as using a very soft washcloth and jojoba oil for you to exfoliate. In any case, the longer I go without exfoliating, it's like the dead skin builds up and blocks my poores so that whatever is in then festers and THEN I have acne to contend with. Just some thoughts!

Bottom line, I do have to make sure that what I am using (makeup/sunscreen/etc.) doesn't irritate my skin further so I am careful about what I use, but regardless of what I use I HAVE to exfoliate. And of course moisturize properly, NOT just moisturize with SOMETHING.

Hope that helps somewhat!

The foundations you mentioned, I have tried all of those and they didn't work for me. I have trouble also with red marks and acne. I have searched high and low for a foundation that covers but doesn't look like a mask. I can only give you my experience. I have been able to use Estee Lauder Double Wear and Double Wear Light. Both offer very good coverage. I have heard that Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra is great for coverage as well. I personally can never find a shade with Lancome...but then I am very pale. I think I must be the exception to the rule with MAC. I have been able to wear their Studio Fix Fluid without a single breakout. So what I use right now is MAC SFF and Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer. Work really well together. If you are looking for drugstore products with good coverage...I can offer up Revlon Colorstay and Maybelline Super Stay. Revlon does work well and it is very similar to Estee Lauder. Maybelline is a little sheerer than Revlon. I broke out with the Maybelline but did fine with the Revlon. And for the life of me, I have not ever been able to get any coverage at all with powders. Not saying that this is what happens to everyone, but I have noticed that if I do not wash off ALL my makeup...I will get clogged pores and acne, then red marks follow. I would definitely suggest a good exfoliator and an oil based cleanser. I am too oily for a moisturizer so I skip it. Just my two cents. HTH!! Good luck.

Thank you both!! I never knew that exfoliation was such a key factor when using foundation. So using a washcloth would be fine for exfoliating? How often should I do it? I will have to give those foundations a try also. Maybe I'll try the exfoliating thing first before I switch foundations. My skin is also pale and oily. At the same time it sometimes gets flaky from the retin-a micro I'm using. I'm not using moisturizer either but some say you should even if you have oily skin, anyone's opinon on that? Also how do you go about applying make up when your skin is flaky at spots, is there a certain technique? I am sooooo clueless about these things, probably to the point that it sounds silly. I want to look professional and polished at my job though. I went last year without wearing make up and my skin was real bad, it almost looked liked hives rather than acne. Still trying to figure out what brought it on so bad. Now I am recovering and would really like to find a good foundation to cover my scars, with little irritation of course. How about concealors? I'm using Cover Girl coverstick and find it to work ok. It never stays on long, my skin is so oily. I suppose I should start using pressed powder. I do have Almay clear complexion and Cover Girl clear powder. Would those be fine for acne prone skin? Girls, I need all the make up advice possibe, lay it on me.

I'm also pale and oily, with sensitive skin, so I feel your pain there! And no, none of your questions are silly...I had to search and search and SEARCH for answers to help my skin!

As far as exfoliating, start wit the most gentle way you can find such as a soft sponge or washcloth (nothing scratchy!) and try from there. Don't forget to give your skin a while to adjust to it. One day isn't enough time. one week may not even be, so you're just gonna have to be your own judge there. I've used Retin-A before and love it (maybe when I get insurance again???), but I will caution you highly about the dangers of exfoliating: too much and you're not only going to hurt, but it's hard as heck to cover with makeup! So BE CAREFUL! Start slow, maybe once a day??? Only on days you wear makeup or waterproof sunscreen perhaps? Then see from there what pattern develops and decide what your skin needs. If I wear makeup/sunscreen Mon-Fri for example, then on Saturday and Sunday I may not need to exfoliate as much or even at all. Also note that only certain areas of your face need more exfoliating. For me it's the cheeks and T-zone. Some people need more around the jawline, for me this isn't so. Look where you have acne and go from there. But again be careful and don't aggravate the acne. That will make it harder to heal and cause new breakouts.

As far as oil production I've found the theory that adding jojoba oil into my regimen (after cleansing, before topicals) helps decrease the amount of oil my skin puts out. Oh, and the more mattifying stuff I use? The more jojoba oil I need and to let it sit longer before adding BP! Then I only blot once (twice on hot/grimy days), and that was when I was working 12+ hour shifts. But constantly trying to address my oily skin with mattifying products just made my skin react wildly and produce enough oil to fry chicken in.

As far as which makeup I use, I use generally use Everday Mineral products. Other than mascara (which EDM doesn't have), I occasionally use different highlighters or eyeshadows. Almay should be fine to use as well. I just like the mineral powders better. When I need really waterproof makeup, I use Almay's 16 hour without too much problem. I say too much problem, getting back off my skin without irritating it can be a problem at times!

Sorry that was so long, trying to be thorough!

clinique superfit foundation and clinique even better foundation are both MY LOVE. they don't break me out, and even better has a lot of natural, skinfriendly ingredients that help get rid of acne scars as they cover them.

superfit - natural matte finish, medium - full coverage (buildable), lasts all day, *not many shades :/, wicks away oil/sweat. this would be my lovee except for the fact that only in the dead of winter am i shade 01 shell and 02 petal is too peachy/orange for me, it covers a lot of imperfections but i still need concealer for some blemishes and bad scars. $21.50

even better - natural finish (slight sheen, but not oily. looks like your skin), medium - full coverage (very buildable, more so than superfit, and slightly better coverage), *more shades than superfit (i happened to find my PERFECT shade at the moment, it melts into my skin...although i AM tan, and my tan will quickly fade...) but not enough for some people :/, skin tone corrector, covers acne scars pretty well, good for redness, great for uneven skintone, covers blemishes pretty well - i do not need a concealer (not even under-eye) with this foundation. $24.50

good luck!

p.s. i have not tried almay, nor do i break out from a lot of foundations (just bareminerals and covergirl), but i know many people that only trust clinique since they do have pretty good skincare, and it's the only brand that doesn't break them out.

I've heard many people put jojoba oil on their skin. That name just sounds like it would clog your pores, I'm very worried about trying it. Do you wash it off afterwards? I guess I'd rather spend more, like for Clinque, if it will give the best results and not clog pores. Were you still breaking out with retin-a on your thirteenth week? I had been doing real the few weeks prior to that. I'm just trying to figure out if its the make up or the retin-a that is making me break out more than lately. I've been really skimping on sleep lately because of stress so maybe that could be to. My life feels crazy hectic. What do you think is the main factor that causes breakouts?

On Retin-A I did have some breakouts, but I don't think it was the Retin-A's fault. Starting spiro seemed to nip the breakouts in the bud. I'm off spiro now and would like to try to stay off of it, and so far so good.

The jojoba oil has a page in Dan's products, check it out. Lots of folks use it with no trouble. Oh, and it's noncomodegenic, so it doesn't clog pores. It serves as a double duty for me: hydrates my skin and allows for the need-to-be-exfoliated-dead-skin to "break free" from my nicer skin beneath. My skin seems to hoard dead skin cells, blegh! I also use AJA+ since I don't have Retin-A.

The exact regimen I do for normal days is:

wash face

face still damp/wet, apply jojoba oil

pat excess jojoba oil off

apply BP

let BP dry

apply moisturizer or sunscreen

makeup (if I'm wearing any that day)

The only differences at night are that I exfoliate when I wash (if I had makeup/sunscreen/etc on my face) and apply AHA+ occasionally instead of moisturizer.

Stress can contribute to breakouts, yes. I don't have any scientific studies to back that up, but everyone seems to notice it's worse during stress.

It's possible that EDM broke you out, I certainly can't rule that out!

Edited by peaches1975

Thank you both!! I never knew that exfoliation was such a key factor when using foundation. So using a washcloth would be fine for exfoliating? How often should I do it? I will have to give those foundations a try also. Maybe I'll try the exfoliating thing first before I switch foundations. My skin is also pale and oily. At the same time it sometimes gets flaky from the retin-a micro I'm using. I'm not using moisturizer either but some say you should even if you have oily skin, anyone's opinon on that? Also how do you go about applying make up when your skin is flaky at spots, is there a certain technique? I am sooooo clueless about these things, probably to the point that it sounds silly. I want to look professional and polished at my job though. I went last year without wearing make up and my skin was real bad, it almost looked liked hives rather than acne. Still trying to figure out what brought it on so bad. Now I am recovering and would really like to find a good foundation to cover my scars, with little irritation of course. How about concealors? I'm using Cover Girl coverstick and find it to work ok. It never stays on long, my skin is so oily. I suppose I should start using pressed powder. I do have Almay clear complexion and Cover Girl clear powder. Would those be fine for acne prone skin? Girls, I need all the make up advice possibe, lay it on me.

No question is silly. No worries. Exfoliation is a definite key. I would start out with a washcloth, which should be gentle enough to use every day. I personally would use it in the morning to make sure little flakes are taken off prior to makeup application. There are many types of exfoliators. There are chemical ones...such as retin a, glycolic, lactic, etc and there are physical ones...these usually have grains or beads in a cream/gel base. I tend to prefer physical because I feel it working, however, some like chemical better. Just depends on you. You could try one of these once you have worked up your use of the washcloth. Since you are oily and flaky, you are most likely suffering from dehydrated skin. It happens quite often when we try treating acne. As some of the others have said jojoba oil can help. You can use it to clean off your makeup and you can use it to help keep your oil production from going crazy. It should also help with flakes. If you only have scars to cover, concealer and setting powder may work for you. I have always had problems with all the mineral powder lines. Not sure why it happens, but I cannot wear them. So I stick with liquid foundations. Of course, everyone is different. You just have to find what works for you. You asked about how to apply makeup over flakes....well it just doesn't work very well I have found. The thing you must do is exfoliate and moisturize beforehand. And yes, when you are oily, you really need to use a powder to set your concealer and makeup. Otherwise, it will slide off too easily. Primers can help keep your makeup from sliding off too. HTH!

Try a liquid foundation like Maybelline. They have pretty good foundations!

Or you can watch this video from ricebunny. She introduces many different foundations in the market(:

Hope i helped!

I use bare minerals. It covers really well and doesn't make me break out. You can get a started kit with two shades of foundation, a thing called warmth (makes sure that you don't look washed out, kindof like blush), mineral veil (a sheer powder that helps with shine), and three different brushes for around $50 at Ulta or Target. Just a suggestion. My friend uses it, and she has extreamly sensitive skin.

I too am pale and oily w/ sensitive skin.

Estee Lauder Double Wear - it provides great coverage without looking too cakey. You def. have to apply moisturizer under it though or it will look cakey.

You also need to use an exfoliator to take it off because really seeps into your pores - goes on a lot like paint! I use Clean and Clear Deep Action exfoliating scrub. It's a great oil free exfoliator regardless of whether you are trying to remove foundation at the end of the day.

Lots of people here use the EL Double Wear it and it doesn't make us break out. I use it when I want a flawless look or when I have some active pimples - but on regular days when I just want to cover flat red marks I just dust on some of my Everyday minerals foundation and concealer, that gives a nice natural finish without breaking me out.

Yes, I really think my Almay smart shade foundation is breaking me out. This is so frustrating. Maybe I should just try concealor and setting power. What about primers? What are their main purposes? I like foundation for its polished look but not if its going to set me back more, no way then. I suppose I could go and spend even more money on make up and try a new foundation. I'm not trying to sound pessimistic but I just want this to be done. Also I have been really stressed out so I really hope that has a lot to do with it too. Is there anyway I can prevent the foundation from seeping right in my pores? Thank you all for your help!! I appreciate it so much!

No question is silly. No worries. Exfoliation is a definite key. I would start out with a washcloth, which should be gentle enough to use every day. I personally would use it in the morning to make sure little flakes are taken off prior to makeup application. There are many types of exfoliators. There are chemical ones...such as retin a, glycolic, lactic, etc and there are physical ones...these usually have grains or beads in a cream/gel base. I tend to prefer physical because I feel it working, however, some like chemical better. Just depends on you. You could try one of these once you have worked up your use of the washcloth. Since you are oily and flaky, you are most likely suffering from dehydrated skin. It happens quite often when we try treating acne. As some of the others have said jojoba oil can help. You can use it to clean off your makeup and you can use it to help keep your oil production from going crazy. It should also help with flakes. If you only have scars to cover, concealer and setting powder may work for you. I have always had problems with all the mineral powder lines. Not sure why it happens, but I cannot wear them. So I stick with liquid foundations. Of course, everyone is different. You just have to find what works for you. You asked about how to apply makeup over flakes....well it just doesn't work very well I have found. The thing you must do is exfoliate and moisturize beforehand. And yes, when you are oily, you really need to use a powder to set your concealer and makeup. Otherwise, it will slide off too easily. Primers can help keep your makeup from sliding off too. HTH!

The medical spa I go to told me to use a baby brush to clean my face at night. It cleans really well without being too harsh and also helps with the exfoliation. I've been using clinque foundation, but a cheaper alternative that works well and doesn't sting it you have any open sores is CoverToxTen by Physicians Formula.

I recommend using any of the foundations by Korres (www.korres.com)

They're a Greek company that specializes in natural products (no parabens etc) so great for sensitive acne skin. I love the Ginger Vitamins one, its a medium coverage. But they have a higher coverage one. You can get Korres at Sephora. Really good stuff