Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone in the Uk

MemberMember
(@xkatiex)

Posted : 09/01/2009 5:51 am

Sooo, I've had acne since I was about 12. Tried soooo many things to clear it including Doxycycline, Minocycline,Erythromycin Dianette and Accutane last summer to name but a few! All have worked for at least a few months but the acne always comes back. Accutane was a miracle worker but the results only lasted about 4 months. I've been on Dianette twice now, once for 2 years then my acne started to come back so I stopped taking it then since March of this year I've been taking it and it seemed to be working but over the last month or so my acne has came back and it seems worse than ever. So, I've just been reading about Spironolactone and wondering why I have never been told about this? Is it something that has to be prescribed by a dermatologist or can it just be prescribed my a GP? I'm back to my GP's office on Monday and wondering if I should ask about it?

MemberMember
(@thecomfycat)

Posted : 09/02/2009 5:52 pm

Sooo, I've had acne since I was about 12. Tried soooo many things to clear it including Doxycycline, Minocycline,Erythromycin Dianette and Accutane last summer to name but a few! All have worked for at least a few months but the acne always comes back. Accutane was a miracle worker but the results only lasted about 4 months. I've been on Dianette twice now, once for 2 years then my acne started to come back so I stopped taking it then since March of this year I've been taking it and it seemed to be working but over the last month or so my acne has came back and it seems worse than ever. So, I've just been reading about Spironolactone and wondering why I have never been told about this? Is it something that has to be prescribed by a dermatologist or can it just be prescribed my a GP? I'm back to my GP's office on Monday and wondering if I should ask about it?

Your GP or your derm could prescribe it.... I get it from my gyno's office... using spiro to treat acne is off-label, so some doctors use it as acne treatment, others don't...

MemberMember
(@xkatiex)

Posted : 09/10/2009 4:27 am

I asked my doctor about it but he said he'd never heard about it being used before, he did say he was going to do some research into it though. Anyways, got an appointment with the dermatologist so will see what she says. Here we go again!!!!! lol

MemberMember
(@lady_c)

Posted : 06/07/2013 3:02 pm

I don't know how you ladies are obtaining spiro but I've had no success. I've just come back from my G.P and asked her about spironolactone, she was very dismissive and refused to prescribe it. My doctor was too preoccupied with prescribing me some useless antiobiotics instead. I even asked for a dermologist referral and she told me that there's not much they can do and they'd only administer more antiobiotics. This is exactly why I stopped going to the doctoers, there are useless and don't care about the psychological impact of acne. I guess I'll continue to take saw palmetto as an alternative, here's to hoping it will work!

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 06/12/2013 4:26 pm

I was very, very persistant. I went back to see the GP several times in a month. She did prescribe topicals and anti B's but must have got sick of me, as got me a referral to the dermatology dept at my local hospital. Keep at them !!!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/12/2013 4:48 pm

You can buy spiro online reputably and cheaply without a prescription, people have had success getting it even in the UK. Not something I would recommend, but with how successful it is, it's almost a crime that no one in the UK can get the proper treatment. If you would like information, please send me a personal message, again I am just sharing information, not endorsing anything. What you do with that information is your own responsibility.