Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have decided to move on to accutane. I have done the strictest of regimens and have never been fully clear. Now I am in a position were I don't have much control over what I eat and my skin has been getting worse.

I was wondering what I should take to help limit the side effects of accutane.

So far I was planning on taking:

Fish Oil (for dryness and joint pains)

Zinc (for faster healing)

Chromium (ditto)

B-Complex (just something I will always take)

Calcium + Magnesium + Vitamin D (ditto)

I was also wondering, does accutane have any anti-biotic properties? Should I take a probiotic supplement?

As you can tell, these supplements didn't help you much in the past. Just let accutane do the work. It works for 90% of people.

hmm whatever you can take without failing ur liver test! My only suggestion for you would be fish oil and milk thistle.... supplements really just be a waste of money and little effect compared to the drastic effect of tane.

As you can tell, these supplements didn't help you much in the past. Just let accutane do the work. It works for 90% of people.

He's trying to prevent the side effects. And I think it's more like 80% and who knows how high a proportion of those are only helped temporarily.

And to the OP: A few months ago you told me you didn't want to use topical exfoliants like BHA and AHA. Are you sure you don't want to try those first?

I am on accutane and was taking supplements before I started my course. Currently I am taking omega 3s (fish oil), vitamin e, vitamin d, calcium, biotin, b-complex & probiotics. I dropped my multivitamin for the b-complex in order to avoid vitamin a (my PA said a minimum dose from a multivitamin was ok - but I decided not to take it). I added vitamin e & biotin during my accutane course. I have been on accutane for almost 3 weeks and seem to be doing fine with expected side-effects. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I am sure I want to do this. I have done many things to my diet and lifestyle that many would never imagine doing only to see minimal improvements to my acne.

I will never give up being a healthy person, but I am not going to torture myself with a diet with no exceptions. I simply can't do it in college. It would be different if it cleared my skin, I could probably find some way to make it work, but it hasn't.

Accutane will hopefully allow me to achieve clear skin, and will allow me to eat a regular diet (and when I say regular I mean a non extreme, I will still eat healthy).

I have been bogged down psychologically, physically (skin pain and weight loss), and socially (through how I act around others, and through my diet) due to acne, I have had enough.

Accutane is a solution that is permanent in a lot of people. At this point I could care less how I get clear skin.

Again, this would all be different if there was a surefire diet or lifestyle cure, but there is not. People have cleared, but only on super restrictive regimens, and are rewarded with a breakout if they ever stray from that regimen. Even those who have cleared are in a very small group to those of us who spend too much time in our lives trying to pick a needle out of the haystack.

I have decided to move on to accutane. I have done the strictest of regimens and have never been fully clear. Now I am in a position were I don't have much control over what I eat and my skin has been getting worse.

Chromium (ditto)

I was also wondering, does accutane have any anti-biotic properties? Should I take a probiotic supplement?

i would suggest you take massive amounts of probiotics for one month to the tune of 3.5 trillion a day, then if no results, go on to accutane. But take every available strain that is on the market in the largest possible quantitys.

example-

1. vsl#3 450 billion per packet 80.00 for 30 packets, available in select pharmacies

here is the pharmacy locater page: http://sigmatau.bullseyenet5.electricvine.com/Search.aspx

2. Ultimate Flora Super Critical 200 Billion 30.00 for 7 packets x4 of course

http://www.renewlife.com/products/ultimate...00-billion.aspx

(taking the above two products will give an awesome range of known probiotic strains in large quantitys, some will be doubles but thats ok.)

3. L. reuteri strain, although they do not make this in large quantitys yet, ive found them in the 5 billion percap range, so take as many as you can reasonbly afford in a day.

4. then make your own yogurt from these starter cultures and buy this brand of yogurt maker

http://www.lyo-san.ca/english/yogourmet.html#casei

by fermenting the yogurt longer then the standard 4-4.5 hours, at 24 hours, you will maximize the growth potential of the strains although the yogurt will have more lactic acid in it and be tarter, you will have 750 billion live bacteria in an 8 ounce cup.

5.then take a decent amount of fiber to feed these bacteria, psyllium, FOS, and inulin, as well as eating a good amount of vegetables.

if this doesnt do anything for your acne, you will still end up with a kickass digestive system that is effecient like an electric car!!! you really cant lose.

this is a modified version of brenton b's regimen, yet his regimen was more designed to starve the bad bacteria(and yourself as well!!), but by introducing many probiotic strains asap and feeding them, they will start doing their natural job right away which is to populate in your intestine and drive out all the bad bacteria in your gut that has taken hold over the years creating toxic products that very well may be the cause of acne and other diseases as well.

since the probiotics themselves produce powerful anitbacterials, i see it as unnecessary to take any antibacterial/antifungal supplements. so after replacing all the good bacteria annd driving out the bad, the food you eat will not be fermented into toxins, but into vitamins and antibacterial substances. Brenton claims to still be suscpetable to acne, but i beleive if he had focused more on the probiotic part of his reghimen, he may completly cure himself.

of course, i could be wrong on this one, but im just going to get my ideas out there so you can decide for yourself.

see his pics and regimen here

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Diet-isn-...ne-t222897.html

i dont remember ever seeing anyone provide results as good as these on this board and ive been posting here for a long time. there are others that claim to have had much success with what they defined as "anti-candida" diets.

some other testimonials:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/regimen-t...;hl=oregano+oil

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Candida-A...hl=candida+diet

i cannot vouch for this at all as i have just created this regimin and dont even have the money yet to implement it, but the philosophy is the same as anti candida diets and that is starve and kill the bad, replace it with good, except i believe an emphasis on the replace makes more logical sense then to starve and kill parts of the regimen.

hope this might help you out or even make sense to you.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

i've done accutane and it did clear my acne for about a year, then it came back as bad as it was before i took it. Accutane will dry you up well and it will make you clear. BUT! the accutane will eventually leave your body for good and your ur glands will eventually be normal. Then you know what happens next :(

My acne came back 3 months ago after accutane wore off and it made me very depressed. After a year of clear skin it got really bad in a matter of weeks. It was really a nightmare for me. I researched long and hard and now I've found my problem: candida overgrowth and leaky gut. I've changed my diet accordingly for 2 months and have used a regimen to repair the leaky gut for one month, and boy am i on the road to recovery.

I really do wish you the best. I hope when you get clear from accutane it stays clear. and I'm hoping that you do not get any bad side effects.

. People have cleared, but only on super restrictive regimens, and are rewarded with a breakout if they ever stray from that regimen.

Just wish to comment that this sentence is untrue.

I went to a pretty good dermatologist today (my first visit ever, just to see what options I have). I was surprised that they had many different options besides antibiotics. I am thinking about going on Accutane now as well, but only if there is something I can do or take to mainly prevent hair loss. If there's not even a slight chance that something would help with preventing it, I'd rather keep fighting the natural way.

I am sure I want to do this. I have done many things to my diet and lifestyle that many would never imagine doing only to see minimal improvements to my acne.

I will never give up being a healthy person, but I am not going to torture myself with a diet with no exceptions. I simply can't do it in college. It would be different if it cleared my skin, I could probably find some way to make it work, but it hasn't.

Accutane will hopefully allow me to achieve clear skin, and will allow me to eat a regular diet (and when I say regular I mean a non extreme, I will still eat healthy).

I have been bogged down psychologically, physically (skin pain and weight loss), and socially (through how I act around others, and through my diet) due to acne, I have had enough.

Accutane is a solution that is permanent in a lot of people. At this point I could care less how I get clear skin.

Again, this would all be different if there was a surefire diet or lifestyle cure, but there is not. People have cleared, but only on super restrictive regimens, and are rewarded with a breakout if they ever stray from that regimen. Even those who have cleared are in a very small group to those of us who spend too much time in our lives trying to pick a needle out of the haystack.

First of all, if you're losing weight unhealthily, there's a problem with your diet. You don't have to restrict yourself like a monk to be clear.

I can't keep you from going on Accutane, but I would just like to know that you have done your own research on the drug as well as the side effects (all of them) and know exactly what you are going to do.

Okay you guys. I decided against it.

Too many side effects, and the chance of it not working just hit me, with the fact that my acne may go away eventually still (I am only 18 and a half).

I will try a heavy probiotic regimen.

With my skin vitamins:

Vitamin A

Zinc

Chromium

Vitamin E

Vitamin C

Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D

B-Complex

Fish Oil

I am also going to try a Vitamin K cream for my red marks unless there are any other suggestions.

My change in diet has not aggravated my acne too bad. Hopefully it won't keep getting worse.

Chromium (ditto)

i would suggest you take massive amounts of probiotics for one month to the tune of 3.5 trillion a day, then if no results, go on to accutane. But take every available strain that is on the market in the largest possible quantitys.

example-

1. vsl#3 450 billion per packet 80.00 for 30 packets, available in select pharmacies

here is the pharmacy locater page: http://sigmatau.bullseyenet5.electricvine.com/Search.aspx

(taking the above two products will give an awesome range of known probiotic strains in large quantitys, some will be doubles but thats ok.)

3. L. reuteri strain, although they do not make this in large quantitys yet, ive found them in the 5 billion percap range, so take as many as you can reasonbly afford in a day.

4. then make your own yogurt from these starter cultures and buy this brand of yogurt maker

by fermenting the yogurt longer then the standard 4-4.5 hours, at 24 hours, you will maximize the growth potential of the strains although the yogurt will have more lactic acid in it and be tarter, you will have 750 billion live bacteria in an 8 ounce cup.

5.then take a decent amount of fiber to feed these bacteria, psyllium, FOS, and inulin, as well as eating a good amount of vegetables.

if this doesnt do anything for your acne, you will still end up with a kickass digestive system that is effecient like an electric car!!! you really cant lose.

this is a modified version of brenton b's regimen, yet his regimen was more designed to starve the bad bacteria(and yourself as well!!), but by introducing many probiotic strains asap and feeding them, they will start doing their natural job right away which is to populate in your intestine and drive out all the bad bacteria in your gut that has taken hold over the years creating toxic products that very well may be the cause of acne and other diseases as well.

since the probiotics themselves produce powerful anitbacterials, i see it as unnecessary to take any antibacterial/antifungal supplements. so after replacing all the good bacteria annd driving out the bad, the food you eat will not be fermented into toxins, but into vitamins and antibacterial substances. Brenton claims to still be suscpetable to acne, but i beleive if he had focused more on the probiotic part of his reghimen, he may completly cure himself.

of course, i could be wrong on this one, but im just going to get my ideas out there so you can decide for yourself.

i dont remember ever seeing anyone provide results as good as these on this board and ive been posting here for a long time. there are others that claim to have had much success with what they defined as "anti-candida" diets.

some other testimonials:

i cannot vouch for this at all as i have just created this regimin and dont even have the money yet to implement it, but the philosophy is the same as anti candida diets and that is starve and kill the bad, replace it with good, except i believe an emphasis on the replace makes more logical sense then to starve and kill parts of the regimen.

So how many billion bacteria should I shoot for a day? Sadly I don't think the yogurt will happen for me. I can probably order any product online though. I just need to get my parents to understand what I am doing because they monitor my purchases.

Glad to hear you're deciding to keep fighting the natural way. Are you going to be trying to "megadose" on probiotics or something like that? I am curious to see what it does for you, I might try that as well.

Glad to hear you're deciding to keep fighting the natural way. Are you going to be trying to "megadose" on probiotics or something like that? I am curious to see what it does for you, I might try that as well.

Yes, AutonomousOne's "in development" regimen. I hope I can find sufficient supplements. I searched pharmacies nearby and none hold the product at the top of his list. I am going to see what I can find online.

. People have cleared, but only on super restrictive regimens, and are rewarded with a breakout if they ever stray from that regimen.

Just wish to comment that this sentence is untrue.

How? Brenton and Healthoid both admit they get breakouts if they stray from their regimens. I really think they are the only two posters who we have sufficient evidence that they have cleared over a long period of time.

Also for the poster who said you don't have to eat like a monk to stay clear, I do eat like a monk, and I still wasn't clear.

Chromium (ditto)

example-

some other testimonials:

So how many billion bacteria should I shoot for a day? Sadly I don't think the yogurt will happen for me. I can probably order any product online though. I just need to get my parents to understand what I am doing because they monitor my purchases.

well as much id id like to say take a massive amount of probiotics, i have to remember that a massive amount of anything may disrupt the body a bit, but probiotics themselves are pretty safe, we have eating fermented foods with alot of probiotics in them for perhaps thousands of years, but use caution i guess. even though ive read studies of people with ulcerative colitis(inflammatory bowel disease) taking 3.5 trillion for a month safely i guess thats the proven safe limit, even for people with massively messed up digestive systems.

the entire regimen should be theoretically sufficient to replace the bacteria of the entire digestive tract so around 100 trillion. since this isnt exactly a proven strategy, it may be possible to have to take a reasonable amount over 2-3 months, or perhaps the time frame is 6 months, similar to the recommended breast feeding for infants. its really scientifically unknown territory. what is sufficient is hard to tell. if i could scientifically determine at what rate bacteria take residence in the intestine, and what rate and method they produce bacteriocins that result in the killing and balance of bad bacteria, then we may have some accuracy, so its hard to tell.

id say let your body and your experiance be your guide. 1 trillion a day may be a good place to start, since thats about what is in a serving of home made yogurt.

i dont remember ever seeing anyone provide results as good as these on this board and ive been posting here for a long time.

What are you talking about? I've been here a long time too and there have been many posting such results. There's a link to a lengthy list in my signature, which is far from complete as there was a big gap between when it was started and when I started getting people to keep adding their stories to it. And many don't add their stories.

Lets be honest here tough. Those reports are very vague. How many of those people could have cleared up to do age? How many only had acne for a short period of time? How many broke out again soon after clearing? Which ones claimed to have cleared themselves permanently (and can cheat) such as you refuted? How many have visual evidence?

I should start a thread on people who have tried multiple strict diets and have not cleared. I know from my experience on this site that there would be far more people posting in that thread.

Lets be honest here tough. Those reports are very vague. How many of those people could have cleared up to do age? How many only had acne for a short period of time? How many broke out again soon after clearing? Which ones claimed to have cleared themselves permanently (and can cheat) such as you refuted? How many have visual evidence?

Not many to most of those questions. And most of them answered those questions in their posts. And most of them are people who contributed a great deal to this forum over a period of time. They aren't the people that show up one day announcing the one true cure for everyone that cleared them in 1 week.

Now, if you mean by cheating or straying at all from a regimen and still remain clear you include things like eating something you are allergic to or eating badly for weeks at a time, then yes, of course it's true that you can't cheat. I will still get a cyst if I eat an orange and if I eat poorly for a few weeks, such as when I visit family and don't get to chose all I eat, then yes, my skin will become more oily and I may begin to break out.

Edited by alternativista

i dont remember ever seeing anyone provide results as good as these on this board and ive been posting here for a long time.

What are you talking about? I've been here a long time too and there have been many posting such results. There's a link to a lengthy list in my signature, which is far from complete as there was a big gap between when it was started and when I started getting people to keep adding their stories to it. And many don't add their stories.

didnt see the list you compliled i will check it out, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

So I really need to know, do probiotic packets need to be refrigerated? If not, I will go through with this regimen with the packets. Otherwise I will get a lot of strains and read up on making yogurt.