Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TrevorB

TrevorB's Accutane Log 40mg/day

hey, first of all, congrats on your decision. I'm on my 2nd month of accutane and am already seeing some results.

I'd recommend cetaphil gentle cleanser. It really works great for me and is gentle yet leaves my face feeling clean. I'd recommend a good non-comedogenic moisturizer. I like eucerin original moisturizing lotion. I also use aquaphor for my dry lips .. (you will at some point get them!!)

Also, your accutane says Claravis. just a generic form of accutane, the same kind I, and many others on this site, take/ have taken. Don't worry, it's accutane inside those pills!

My friend used Cetaphil Gentle cleanser and it worked well for her.

Your story hits close to home for me. I went through the same situations, more or less. I think you should adopt the 'DONT GIVE A FUCK' lifestyle. Start enjoying yourself and stop caring what others think. Now that accutane has gotten you happy, keep the momentum going. Your skin will be clear and there will be nothing to worry about.

Good luck with your treatment! And show those girls up.

Hey Trevor, welcome to the first day to a new beginning. I'm so sorry to hear how acne hindered your life in school and with your peers. Acne sucks and while my story isn't as extreme as yours, I can sympathize. I'm about 20 days ahead of you so I'll keep a close watch on your log.

As for cleansers, I'm currently using Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash and I have Cetaphil as my backup cleanser. I have never heard of Clarus but if the medication name is Isotretinoin, then you're a-okay.

Best wishes and good luck at school!

hey, first of all, congrats on your decision. I'm on my 2nd month of accutane and am already seeing some results.

I'd recommend cetaphil gentle cleanser. It really works great for me and is gentle yet leaves my face feeling clean. I'd recommend a good non-comedogenic moisturizer. I like eucerin original moisturizing lotion. I also use aquaphor for my dry lips .. (you will at some point get them!!)

Also, your accutane says Claravis. just a generic form of accutane, the same kind I, and many others on this site, take/ have taken. Don't worry, it's accutane inside those pills!

Day 1

Took the pill at lunch (since I need to eat something with it). I haven't noticed any side effects yet, my skin was still oily, but it was only the first day. But I was so tired when I came home that I fell asleep, but that was probably just from a long day.

Side Effects:

• No sign of any side effects today
Questions:

1. Should I be taking accutane at breakfast? or is it ok to take it at lunch?

Edited by TrevorB

Day 1

Took the pill at lunch (since I need to eat something with it). I haven't noticed any side effects yet, my skin was still oily, but it was only the first day. But I was so tired when I came home that I fell asleep, but that was probably just from a long day.

Side Effects:

• No sign of any side effects today
Questions:

1. Should I be taking accutane at breakfast? or is it ok to take it at lunch?

good luck on your course. i heard that its best taken with a high-fat meal, so if you have a high fat breakfast then you should be fine to take it then. I really don't think it makes a difference when you take it tho, just do it consistently and keep to a schedule.. i take it with dinner everyday.

not a doctor tho haha

good luck on your course. i heard that its best taken with a high-fat meal, so if you have a high fat breakfast then you should be fine to take it then. I really don't think it makes a difference when you take it tho, just do it consistently and keep to a schedule.. i take it with dinner everyday.

not a doctor tho haha

I think I'll try taking it during breakfast though, because I look forward to taking it all day. xD

Day 2

There was no side effects up until I washed my face tonight, I got a random nose bleed (I heard this has happened to some people while on accutane so I'm assuming it's a side effect). My lips are getting dryer more and more too.

Side Effects:

• Nose bleed
  • Slightly dry lips
Questions:

None today.

Day 3

There was no side effects today.

Side Effects:

• None
Questions:

1. Is there any way to treat hyperpigmentation while on accutane?

Day 4

I was fine until my skin started to get really sore. It's still kinda oily though. My lips are getting really dry too.

Side Effects:

• Sore face
  • Dry lips
Questions:

None today.

Day 8

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, I feel depressed and like shit, I just want this to end so I'll have clear skin and be happy. I also recently found out I have BDD too (If you don't know what BDD is look it up).... BDD + bad skin is a fatal mix. I guess it kind of explains why I'm so depressed all the time and avoid social situations whenever I can. My face is so red I want to throw up Uhg... whatever, I'm not in the mood for this... I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

Side Effects:

• Sore face
  • Extremely red face (then again, it's always been really red... fuck my life.)
  • Dry lips
Questions:

None today.

Just try to stay strong bro. I know it's very hard, but time WILL pass and eventually your skin will be clearing, and your self-esteem will be rising. Hope things will improve soon.

Just try to stay strong bro. I know it's very hard, but time WILL pass and eventually your skin will be clearing, and your self-esteem will be rising. Hope things will improve soon.
Thanks for the support. :)

I can't wait until this month is over so I can see the derm again. :/

Day 16

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Nothing has really happened. And my acne is too gross to tell if it's gotten a little better, It's either bumpy with a few nodules or it's not.

Side Effects:

• Dry, flakey skin
  • Dry, chapped lips
Questions:

(not sure if I've asked this before, but is there a treatment I can use to help with scarring while accutane does it's work? Or do I just have to wait?

Day 16

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Nothing has really happened. And my acne is too gross to tell if it's gotten a little better, It's either bumpy with a few nodules or it's not.

Side Effects:

• Dry, flakey skin
  • Dry, chapped lips
Questions:

(not sure if I've asked this before, but is there a treatment I can use to help with scarring while accutane does it's work? Or do I just have to wait?

Scarring as in indented scars or hyperpigmentation? The recommendations will vary slightly also depending on your dose of Accutane. On a quick read-through I did not see a dose mentioned. If you're on a relatively low dose, less than 20mg a day, your derm might approve a topical retinoid in addition to the isotretinoin. A topical retinoid (combined with sunscreen!) will help with both indented scarring and hyperpigmentation.

For hyperpigmentation, very light manual exfoliation may be of assistance but only if you're on a lower dose. If you're on a dose higher than 20mg a day, I'd recommend talking to your derm about the scarring or hyperpigmentation.

Sometimes indented scarring will actually improve once the course of isotretinoin is over. That happened to me.

The Scar Treatment forum is a great source for information. Any invasive or peeling chemical procedure needs to be postponed for at least six months after you take your last pill. The red marks forum has some excellent pinned posts that I suggest you peruse.

Good luck with your course. Drink water. :) Moisturize to stave off some of the effects as well. I did not read your whole log so I don't know what other products you're using, I just skimmed it to look for a dosage. Use lip balm regularly, too. The Accutane posts forum has some great product recommendations, too.

Regarding the BDD: cognitive behavioral counseling alone can be quite helpful. Combine CBT with medication and your chance of improvement is even higher.

Day 16

Side Effects:

• Dry, flakey skin
  • Dry, chapped lips
Questions:

Scarring as in indented scars or hyperpigmentation? The recommendations will vary slightly also depending on your dose of Accutane. On a quick read-through I did not see a dose mentioned. If you're on a relatively low dose, less than 20mg a day, your derm might approve a topical retinoid in addition to the isotretinoin. A topical retinoid (combined with sunscreen!) will help with both indented scarring and hyperpigmentation.

For hyperpigmentation, very light manual exfoliation may be of assistance but only if you're on a lower dose. If you're on a dose higher than 20mg a day, I'd recommend talking to your derm about the scarring or hyperpigmentation.

Sometimes indented scarring will actually improve once the course of isotretinoin is over. That happened to me.

The Scar Treatment forum is a great source for information. Any invasive or peeling chemical procedure needs to be postponed for at least six months after you take your last pill. The red marks forum has some excellent pinned posts that I suggest you peruse.

Good luck with your course. Drink water. :) Moisturize to stave off some of the effects as well. I did not read your whole log so I don't know what other products you're using, I just skimmed it to look for a dosage. Use lip balm regularly, too. The Accutane posts forum has some great product recommendations, too.

Regarding the BDD: cognitive behavioral counseling alone can be quite helpful. Combine CBT with medication and your chance of improvement is even higher.

Day 21

Omg, my skin has been SO red lately, even more than usual (which I didn't think was possible). My skin is also very dry and flaky too... It makes my makeup look horrible by the end of the day. Not nearly as bad as when my skin was oily but it's still annoying. People have recommended fix+ but would that really help? (if anyone knows please tell me)

Side Effects:

• Severely dry, red, flakey skin
  • Severely dry, chapped lips (vaseline helps a LOT with this)
  • Back pains
  • Bloody nose almost every day
Questions:

1. What can I do to stop my skin from being so flakey without disturbing my foundation? Would fix+ help?

Well, first, I would talk to your derm about the back pain. If I remember correctly, that is a side effect they want to know about. Second, check out Tommy2010's log. He had a problem with flushing and went to his doctor. Got it taken care of. You might want to just suck it up and stop using the foundation. I cant imagine its helping your acne much anyways.

Questions:

1. What can I do to stop my skin from being so flakey without disturbing my foundation? Would fix+ help?

try exfoliating a few times a week with a scrub. very lightly. to get some of the dead skin off.

wear a good moisturizer and apply your makeup with a good brush.

Day 39

Ok, so I lied about when I was going to post last... but I've been very depressed lately :(

No new side effects except my eyes get dried out and blood shot pretty bad some days. I really want this redness to go away, but the derm told me it would go away after accutane. She appeared to be in a rush too, I was going to ask her if she thinks it could possibly be rosacea but she hadn't brought it up before so I doubt it would be (I'll ask her next time though just to be sure). With the back pains she didn't recommend anything, she just told me to deal with it... OH, and I haven't had a bloody nose in ages! :D

Also I stopped covering my face up with makeup, which is a big step for me, anyone who doesn't like it can go fuck themselves.

Side Effects:

• Severely dry, red, flaky skin
  • Severely dry, chapped lips
  • Back pains, neck pains
  • Dry eyes
Questions:

1. I feel like I haven't had a bad IB like everyone else that has used accutane said they had.. is this a bad sign?

Edited by TrevorB