Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

has anyone here had this/know how contagious I might be?

I got this *most likely* from taking Cipro--not acne related, ironically, for bad GI symptoms and obviously the C diff didn't improve them!

I'm 4 days into my 10 day course of Flagyl.

I have classes starting Wednesday.

I'm SUPPOSED to fly across country from California to New York tomorrow.

questions are: am I safe to be around so many people in the airport/plane? my roommates in New York are REALLY concerned about catching this--should I be worried about infecting them?

I ask here because I've called my doctor twice today and haven't gotten a call back!

thanks for the advice!

(ps. don't ever get this though! it suckkss)

has anyone here had this/know how contagious I might be?

I got this *most likely* from taking Cipro--not acne related, ironically, for bad GI symptoms and obviously the C diff didn't improve them!

I'm 4 days into my 10 day course of Flagyl.

I have classes starting Wednesday.

I'm SUPPOSED to fly across country from California to New York tomorrow.

questions are: am I safe to be around so many people in the airport/plane? my roommates in New York are REALLY concerned about catching this--should I be worried about infecting them?

I ask here because I've called my doctor twice today and haven't gotten a call back!

thanks for the advice!

(ps. don't ever get this though! it suckkss)

Wash your hands after EVERY bathroom visit and you'll be fine.

If you have diarrhea that happens to get anywhere, clean it up with a bleach solution. Clean the toilet everyday with a bleach solution. 1:30 is generally acceptable; one part bleach to 30 parts water. Or use something like Clorox clean up, or a lysol disinfectant spray

ONLY your feces is contagious. If you're impeccable about a 15-20 second handwash with warm, soapy water (doesn't have to be antibacterial even), you'll be just fine. Alcohol hand sanitizers do NOT kill C-Diff.

How do I know the above? I'm an RN and have been an infectious disease nurse.

Drink plenty of water. Do NOT take anti-diarrheals. It can actually INCREASE the diarrhea.

Your roommates will be fine. They shouldn't freak out. If they're clean and you're clean, they'll be fine.

thank you so much!

I finally heard from the doctor, and I will wash my hands 100s of times a day and keep going with the medications. I'll also see a GI doctor to follow up soon after I get back (and my dad will make calls if I need it lol!)

weird, WEIRD question.

my roomies just got us a kitten (about 3months old now). theres no way it can spread to the cat right? cause he's just a baby now!

thank you so much!

I finally heard from the doctor, and I will wash my hands 100s of times a day and keep going with the medications. I'll also see a GI doctor to follow up soon after I get back (and my dad will make calls if I need it lol!)

weird, WEIRD question.

my roomies just got us a kitten (about 3months old now). theres no way it can spread to the cat right? cause he's just a baby now!

You're not contagious if you wash your hands after every bowel movement. You're not contagious unless you're also incontinent of bowel...and with C-Diff, sometimes the mucusy runs happen so quickly you are unprepared. So...wash YOUR clothes in such an event with hot soapy water and let them soak in HOT water. Wear your white underwear so they can be bleached if necessary. Please don't throw them away soiled as that would send the C-Diff spores to a landfill and C-Diff spores can live on environmental surfaces for MONTHS.

I also don't know if C-Diff is a pathogen in felines. I'd ask the vet. Young kittens adopted from the wild as strays have their own problems; please get him checked out for worms, etc.

You don't have to wash your hands 100's of times a day, only after you've gone to the bathroom. Get your roomies in that habit, too, so there will be fewer bacteria of all types just sitting around on surfaces. PLEASE follow that hand washing video! It's excellent. Get them all to watch it; groans of disbelief or not. It is vital to everyone's health, whether or not C-diff is an issue. Someone not washing his her hands and possibly going shopping with shitty hands is one way C-Diff travels. Of course, it is a normally existing pathogen in many people's intestinal flora anyway, but only becomes pathogenic when the helpful bacteria are killed off by an antibiotic.

Cleaning the faucet handle several times daily is a good idea too, as some people not only wipe with the dominant hand, they also reach for the faucet and the toilet flush handle with that same poopy dominant hand when they're incapable of keeping hands clean when wiping.

C-Diff is usually NORMALLY present in most people's intestinal tract. Two antibiotics are huge culprits in killing the competing bacteria that allow C-Diff to multiply without check: Cipro and Keflex.

------> I'd also suggest taking probiotics at least four times a day. Lactobacillus is your best bet in this case because that is the one that's prescribed successfully here as both prophylaxis and as treatment. My patients take Lactaid packets; the packets can be opened and sprinkled onto yogurt, or added to a beverage. The packets must be kept refrigerated.

Actually, anytime you take an antibiotic it's wise to also take a probiotic. It's fine if you take it at the same time, but better if you stagger them by a few hours as more probiotic is likely to survive the antibiotic.

Whew, a book. Please PM me if you have any questions. This is one subject I could go on for hours about as I used to teach infection control and in particular, preventing C-Diff epidemics in a health care setting. :D

Oh! One thing I forgot to mention but I'm sure your doctor did. NO ALCOHOL of any amount (even in cough syrup amounts) while on Flagyl and for at least a week after you have finished the Flagyl.

Flagyl and alcohol combined will cause a disulfiram (Antabuse) type reaction and you will have a pounding headache, sweating, vomiting until you feel the lining of your stomach is coming up, maybe even the rectum, too.