Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
muzik12

YAZ vs. Yasmin

Hello. I have been taking Yasmin for 4 years and it cleared my skin beautifully - I could go to bed without washing my face, and I had pretty bad acne before that! over the past two months or so, though, I've been breaking out quite frequently around my chin and mouth. I just got back from the dermatologist and he prescribed me YAZ, saying that it was almost exactly like Yasmin with only one small difference. Needless to say, I'm a bit nervous switching from something I have used for 4 years straight. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hello. I have been taking Yasmin for 4 years and it cleared my skin beautifully - I could go to bed without washing my face, and I had pretty bad acne before that! over the past two months or so, though, I've been breaking out quite frequently around my chin and mouth. I just got back from the dermatologist and he prescribed me YAZ, saying that it was almost exactly like Yasmin with only one small difference. Needless to say, I'm a bit nervous switching from something I have used for 4 years straight. Any thoughts? Thanks!

These are very similar drugs. They have the same progestin (the same amount as well), and yaz has lower estrogen (all birth control pills have the same synthetic estrogen)... lower estrogen means some people experience more spotting... but it's also why it can be more beneficial for clearing skin (depending on your acne). The progestin in these drugs is also good for helping with acne, as it is an antiandrogen (similar to spironolactone), so it lowers testosterone levels and production.

Many people have more success with Yaz clearing their skin, so hopefully you'll have good results as well.