Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lowlyfish

anyone here a skin picker ? Making a big deal out of little acne ?

I'm trying to find a message board or chat room that deals with this topic. It is not the same as a cutter, but at the same time I have picked until I bleed many times. It always starts with just a little bump or blackhead that I think I can make look better or be flat and ends up with blood, giant red marks, and bruised skin. I also manage to push down and impact the original pimple and even cause it to spread it seems. It was an endless cycle, but I feel like I am getting a handle on it somewhat. Any body else do this ?!?! :doh: It makes me feel like a true jackass to know that I, not my acne, created all my scars.... :boohoo:

I used to pick way to much, did a horrible job on my skin. I tortured it. I have alot of small ice pic scars and some rolling scars because of it. I try not to pick anymore and im doing pretty good.

Definitely compulsive picker. But nothing compares to the rare satisfaction of perfectly extracting a "ripe" zit so it goes away fast... shame that this happens probably once for every 10 over-zealous hack jobs resulting in large scars overtop of the primary infection/inflammation...

I think more than being a regular picker, I just like my skin to be flat/smooth. If there's a bump or scab or flaky skin I "fix" it even at the expense of further damaging the skin (prolonged redness, bleeding etc.).

Best tricks to combat this picking are the following:

> wear makeup/concealer as often as possible to reduce chances of starting up "examination" sessions in the mirror (the better you appear the less you pick!)

> distract yourself into doing other things

> position your mirrors in places where you wouldn't be able to pick (more public place) or try to stay away from mirrors after your initial makeup application in daylight when you're more concerned about redness than harvesting the pits

> at night before bed (most tempting time!) stand BACK from the mirror

But I have yet to follow these stellar directives myself... Good luck!

i gotta admit i love the feeling of a fresh whitehead squirting out, a nice hurting enflamed cytic whitehead full of puss....OH yeah baby!

I'm trying to find a message board or chat room that deals with this topic. It is not the same as a cutter, but at the same time I have picked until I bleed many times. It always starts with just a little bump or blackhead that I think I can make look better or be flat and ends up with blood, giant red marks, and bruised skin. I also manage to push down and impact the original pimple and even cause it to spread it seems. It was an endless cycle, but I feel like I am getting a handle on it somewhat. Any body else do this ?!?! :doh: It makes me feel like a true jackass to know that I, not my acne, created all my scars.... :boohoo:

yup. I had a raised bump a bit red with a TINY whitehead inbetween my eyes. Ended up flatting it and took out the whitehead, some blood. whatever right? It became bruised and red, and spread into like a pimple with liek 3 whiteheads...inbetween my eyes.

Oh well, that was like 3 weeks ago. Now I have a red mark, and I just found out I had another small pimple, but its just raised YET again. This time, NO touching. Benzaclin will do the job, and I will continue on. End of story.

Just chill.

Dont pick.

Have like 2-4 Days with it than having to spend a week or two on your pimples! lol.

i gotta admit i love the feeling of a fresh whitehead squirting out, a nice hurting enflamed cytic whitehead full of puss....OH yeah baby!

:lol2: sort of gross tho

I do that. I go into the bathroom with one inflamed, ready to pop zit and 30 minutes later am zoned out on the counter trying to squeeze stuff out of every pore on my face. I used to secretly love getting zits on my hairline or other not-easily-seen places because I got to pop them without worrying about how they looked. I was a cutter when I was younger, in middle and high school, though, so I can see how they would be related. I'm trying to stop but when I live alone in a small apartment with the bathroom mirror and flourescent light just steps away all the time it gets difficult.

I think, "okay I'm going to give myself a scar" while I'm popping a pimple and even then I can't seem to stop. I'm on Roaccutane so it's even worse.

Guest Virgo

Omg I totally used to be like that... And I also thought of it that way, as similar to cutting... even though I was never a cutter. But I mean, that's the type of thing you just don't say to your friends.. because you don't want them to think you're gross. I totally don't pick anymore, unless theres this big white pimple on my face it's like... why go out with that when you could easily flatten it? And about the hairline thing I felt the same way... man I just wish it would all go away. Then we would have nothing to pick at.

Even though I beat myself up over popping the pimples, I just can't leave the house with a whithead....I just think it's gross. For some reason I feel a red mark can be mistaken for something other than a previous whithead. I drink on the weekends and this weekend I looked in the mirror saturday and for some stupid reason thought I could make it look better by sqeezing 4 pimples (i was also a little buzzed)....needless to say i didnt go out that night. :doubt: O well, im putting aloe vera and neosporin on them and hoping they heal up fast.

That felt kinda good. :D

When i said "That felt kinda good", i meant the feeling of expressing myself. I dont talk about my acne to my friends and rarley to my family. So it felt good to express myself and get it off my chest. Sorry if it was misunderstood.

I'm a mild/moderate picker, but mostly with facial hair. It tends to leave little red marks as well, sometimes worse than the ingrown hair I may have plucked. I am trying to get a handle on it & think I'm doing fairly well in the last few weeks since I found this site: http://www.selfinjuriousskinpicking.com/index.php

It has a good messageboard, as well as stories & information (some you can take with a grain of salt). Worth checking out if you are a picker.

I use to be like this. But, then I got control of it and acutally treated it and waited it out and now I am a whole lot clearler and hardly ever have to worry about "little" acne.

YESSS! *Recovering skin picker here!!* I was the exact same way as you guys. I would pick - and even BURN - my face with acids (the ones meeant for peels). I'd pick so bad I left deep wounds in my face that would take weeks to even begin to heal. Alot of times I made "mountains out of molehills" literally.

Then I just made a promise to myself to STOP. That's it. The first week was difficult and all I wanted to do was dig my nails into my face. But it really does get easier. It's an awful compulsive addiction. I haven't picked in like a month I think. Not even a little. :clap:

I 've picked 1 or 2 pimples, Thank GOD they didn't leave any marks or scars, however i can't resist popping a blackhead! Make sure you apply medication on right after breaking the pimple/blackhead!!!! If i had picked my skin when i was bad, i dont know what i would have done now....

I dont pop them with my fingers anymore. I just use a clean needle and gently peel the top of the whitehead off. So the pus just kinda leaks out instead of popping through and hurting like a mofo.

i pop n pick at my face and back... Its very embarrasing to admit it but then i guess you all do too so thats a comfort to me knowing that im not the only person who does - which makes it a lot less embarassing. I make myself bleed a lot, hate it, i now even sleep with think gloved on so im less tempted to pick because that means i have to take them off, i still do, so i might get totally ready for bed and put duck tape to stick my gloves on from tempting me. Im sure id see a HUGE difference if i duck taped them on over night!